Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > JLY to talk about DJR

Date: 07/07/15 22:48
JLY to talk about DJR
Author: jbwest

A friend mentioned that Bill Lynch would be talking about his adventures with Don Russell at the SPH&TS convention in Sacramento in October.  I immediately joined the SPH&TS and reserved a room at the Sacto Doubletree so that I could attend the dinner.  Bill is a good story teller and he talks about folks I actually knew in the bad old days. And he names names.  Looking forward to the fun.

JBWX

Date: 07/08/15 06:28
Re: JLY to talk about DJR
Author: mdo

Sign me up!

Date: 07/08/15 08:06
Author: rob_l

The brothel story is priceless.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 07/08/15 08:36
Author: trainjunkie

Bill was kind enough to submit a manuscript awhile back primarily about his dad, James F. Lynch, for the FRRS magazine, The Headlight. Although Bill went on to the SP, he grew up with the WP as his dad made his way up through the ranks there. We sat on the manuscript for quite awhile as it was long and had no supporting visuals making it difficult to publish. Then recently some relevant material was discovered in the FRRS archive, and soon after I reached out to Bill for a few odds and ends that he was kind enough to send to fill in some of the gaps and we were able to put an issue together that was entirely dedicated to JFL.

If you like Bill's stories, this is an excellent read. FRRS members get these issues as part of their membership but you can buy one from select hobby shops or order a copy from the museum at  530-832-4131.

Date: 07/08/15 15:44
Author: TCnR

I'm also thinking of coughing up the price of rubber chicken and peas just to hear the JLY stories and to see the guy in action.

The retired SP Employee rubber room seems like a good idea, try to keep the mayhem in one place.

Date: 07/08/15 15:59
Author: jbwest

I really enjoyed his Donner snow stories because he talked about so many of the characters high and low that inhabited the great old SP.  He describes the personal and cultural foibles of the individuals and of SP oh so well, but also in a humorous way so that even the victims of his humor would not take offense.  Well, maybe only a little bit of offense since sometimes the truth hurts.  If the true story of the once great SP is ever written, Bill should be at least a co-author.  Maybe at the next conference he can talk about travels with Ben.  

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/15 16:04 by jbwest.

Date: 07/08/15 16:29
Author: BCHellman

Perhaps he'll reveal some information concerning the rise and fall of the Yuma Division.

Date: 07/10/15 08:43
Author: railstiesballast

It is the duty of the RR historical groups to capture this first-prson history.
And it is so much fun...."history" used to be my least favorite school subject, nothing but wars, treaties, dates, kings, elections, etc.
But what we have here (and in many other fields) is the stories of the people at all levels living in past eras.
I come away feeling I have learned much more history this way than memorizing the date of the Magna Carta for a final exam.
Yes, Bill is a story teller. 
Yes, he has many tales from trips riding on the Sunset business car over a span of several decades.
See you in Sacramento.

Date: 07/10/15 13:39
Author: WAF

And he lived to tell about those rides on the Sunset, LOL

Date: 07/11/15 23:25
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

I very much hope that someonen will put a
transcript of Bill's talk on the web after the
conference for those of us who are unable to
attend.  (I wold just love to go, but cannot.)

Bill really should write a book with as many of
the storoes he remembers as possible.  I sure
would buy a copy!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0484 seconds