Home Open Account Help 204 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Santa Fe still smiles

Date: 10/08/15 23:44
Santa Fe still smiles
Author: santafe199

While spending a huge part of my 1960s growing up years in Abilene, KS I had a virtual front row seat from my Grandparents’ house on SW 4th St. From that house, now long gone, I could turn my young grade school eyes north and see all sorts of RR activity around the Santa Fe depot a mere block away. I can vaguely remember seeing black engines trimmed with those silver zebra stripes. But the overwhelming majority of my early childhood gazing was upon the original blue-trimmed-with-yellow engines. What struck me most was I could easily read the huge “smiling” letters: Santa Fe on the boxy engines (Geeps & FM units). And somehow I understood why the letters on those round engines (F-units) were so much smaller. Those letters didn’t have to smile, because another smile was already wrapped around the nose! Yesiree-bub: By age 7, or there abouts, I had the Santa Fe ALL figured out…

Those magical letters were a huge factor in my becoming an avid fan of the Santa Fe instead of my home town road Union Pacific. I often took adolescent comfort in those letters. I would smile right back any time I looked at them. As I grew from a grade school aged railfan up into an adult, camera-totin’ railfan the smile was always there. I even ended up working for that Santa Fe smile for the first 9 years of my RR career. That smile followed me as my career took me up to Montana. Though the Santa Fe ceased to exist in a merger now 20 years old, that smile still blessed me. It showed up semi-regularly on trains that I ran for MRL.

And now that I’m retired and back home in Kansas I can still find that old smile now & then. As I was visiting a friend in Matfield Green last June a westbound train roared by high up on the embankment behind his house, and I was ready with my camera. As those unexpected, but familiar red letters entered my viewfinder another smile spread across my face…

1. Red & Silver BNSF 647 passes through Matfield Green, KS on June 29, 2015. This latest smile was shot from the property of Mr Floyd Beck.

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 10/10/15 13:15
Re: Santa Fe still smiles
Author: SantaFeRuss

Smile on, santafe199 . To me, the Santa Fe will live on forever!  Santa Fe................All The Way!

SantaFeRuss

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0335 seconds