Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > They write 'em but they don't want you to comply with 'em

Date: 01/15/16 21:06
They write 'em but they don't want you to comply with 'em
Author: cewherry

For switchlamp Tom and ExSPcondr George; you knew the players.

A considerable about of comment here on TO's about the EMD model SW1500 locomotives has resulted in the appellation of "Crud(s)" being applied to them. I believe this name to be
derisive and probably originates from persons who never ran them but rather from so-called 'foamers' who decried them simply because their abundance, (SP rostered over 230 of them).
To the contrary, I did run many of them in my career and found them to be quite capable of every task called upon with the possible exception of stopping ability. The SW1500's could pull
many more cars than they could easily stop using only their locomotive brakes. Once that deficiency was allowed for by coupling 6-8 cars of operating air brakes the SW1500 was, in my book,
the best switching locomotive I ever operated. Because of its diversity, it could perform equally well as a single unit switcher or as a multiple unit local and over the road freight train power.
According to the timetable they were allowed 65 MPH and were shown to be 45 feet long. However, even with all its pluses the SW1500 did have an Achilles heel.

Because of its relatively short 45 foot length, together with the fact that the drawbars were designed to swing widely within their pockets allowing operation in tight radius curves typically found in industries,
it soon became evident that these locomotives were prone to jackknifing during shoving movements while MUed with other engines. SP tried a series of remedy's; both written instructions as well as installation of drawbar blocking devices to limit drawbar swing both in draft and buff conditions. 
Simply put, division the special instructions required that when operating with a mixed consist, (other than identical units in a consist), and where dynamic
braking is required, not more than two SW1500's would be used and among other provisions if one SW1500 is used it must be placed second in the consist and a "Road unit must be coupled against the train".
That meant if I were to handle but one SW1500 in my consist the consist would be of 3 units; a leading 'road' unit, the SW1500 and another 'road' unit against the train. Such was the state of affairs when my story begins.

Around 1976-77 I grew tired of the daily grind of through freight service on the 'high iron' between Los Angeles and W. Colton and noticed that the night Dolores Flyer was up for bid. This job went on duty around
8 pm and took its train to Dolores yard, south of Los Angeles utilizing the former Pacific Electric's Wilmington branch. At Dolores several locals were assigned throughout the day that worked both former PE trackage
as well as SP lines in the area. The normal power assignment at Dolores was a couple of SW1500's for the yard switchers and a compliment of GP-9's used on the locals.  One of the vital roles that the Flyer
performed was to serve as a way to move locomotives back and forth between Taylor yard in Los Angeles and Dolores. As maintenance became due, our Flyer was the train that hauled them back to Taylor.

After yarding our train usually around one to two AM, we would place the engines in the roundhouse area and my conductor, Bob Sprinkle and his brakeman would take off for a
favorite beanery for some breakfast. Me, being too cheap, would stay on the power to try to get some shut-eye. But before the nap I would go into the yard office and get the 'dope' about any power
moves that had to be made. This night I saw that Mike Cude was working as the Assistant Trainmaster. I always got along fine with Mike and we visited a few minutes before he gave me
the information about the power. His plan called for me to pick up a SW1500 only. I drew his attention to one of the latest timetable bulletins that stipulated that I had to have a 'road' engine
against the train. Hmm. He said that he would have to check into that and would get back to me. I said OK and that I would be on the inbound power if he wanted to talk. I had just gotten comfortable
when Cude came into the cab. Would I please come up to the office, the chief DS wanted to talk to me. In the office I dialed the phone and Mike Chavez picked up. We exchanged pleasantries then got down to business.
I cited the wording of the bulletin. Chavez had been talking to the 24 hour office in San Francisco. No one had ever brought this up before. They didn't know if I was correct in my interpretation but to everyone's credit
they didn't try to bull their way out of it. The decision was made to take one of the GP-9's off a day local to give me the proper 'cover. Of course that meant that one of the day jobs was without power. We put the
power together, got our train air and departed for points north. End of story? Not quite.

The scene is the next early morning. The place is the yard office at Dolores. I'm standing at the counter with my spiral-bound notebook in hand ready to write down the engine numbers that Mike Cude is about to give me.
Before he can give me any numbers, a door opens and a man enters. Mike says; "Charlie, do you know George Fetty?. (Now, I will tell you that George Fetty was, I believe, Trainmaster at Dolores. His career went on to higher
office but I can't offer any details of just how high or how long it went.)  Instantly I could see the play. The bigger gun was in the building.  I thought, I'll play along with this little show.
"No, I don't believe I have had the pleasure" extending my hand. After Fetty and I had shaken hands, Mike begins to recite the evening's numbers. He gave me a SW1500 to take back to L.A.. I dutifully write it down. "And the
other unit?" I ask. Fetty jumps into the fray; "There won't be any other unit". I counter; "Well there must be another 'road' unit to place against the train, you know, because of the bulletin". Now with all pretense of
civility cast aside Fetty blusters; "Now Mr. Wherry, I doubt very seriously that you want me to get the Road Foreman out of bed at 2 o'clock in the morning to come down here and personally instruct you how
to put this consist together." I can see that this is a determined individual and by my reasoning, there is no point it risking a charge of insubordination over this so I replied; "All right, you know I don't own a bolt of this
or any other locomotive. I don't care if you want me to take these locomotives back to L.A. sideways or upside down. It's your call". Fetty: "That's just fine, Mr. Wherry". With that said, I told Cude, I'd be on the engines and
walked out the door.

I'm about halfway back to the power when I sense someone is following me. I turned to find its Mike Cude. He says; "Why don't you just put the consist together like the rule says", and he recites a number of a GP-9 to make it correct.
I'm dumbfounded. "Mike, why did you get that guy out of bed at 2 in the morning, just to come down here to get his and my bowels in an uproar only to have him back down and have me do it the right way? 
Mike, gives a wry laugh: "I don't know. He was so enraged that he just had to come down here to chew your butt out." "Well, he sure did a fine job of it!. "Just keep on doing the right thing, Charlie", Mike adds.
I have no idea whatsoever as to why George Fetty so quickly changed his mind. Maybe he realized he was wrong. I just don't know but it was ultimately the correct decision.

As I recount the events of this and other stories I am reminded of some of the things that were driving my discontent with the SP and which ultimately led me to 'jump' ship to the BN in 1979.  To the BN/BNSF's credit
I never had any experiences in my 34 years with them that came close to what I experienced from some, not all,  of the supervisors of my first road. It's always the few that leave the bad taste. 

Charlie

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/16 09:59 by cewherry.

Date: 01/16/16 00:02
Re: They write 'em they but don't want you to comply with 'em
Author: crackerjackhoghead

I just love it when their own rules come back to bite them in the butt! And they're pretty proficient at it too.

I agree with you on "crud" being a misnomer. Having hired out on the UP, all we ever had around in L.A. were the old tired SW10's with their square wheels, worn out leaning trucks and profusely rattling cab ineriors. Although, they would pull the whole world, albeit at two miles an hour, and with their cast iron brake shoes, they stopped pretty good too. But with the SP merger we were introduced to the SW1500's and what a treat they were. As a switch engine, they would really get up and go. You could kick a car into next week. And they handled well on the road too. Our SW10's felt like they'd come apart if you ever got them up to 50 mph. I was really disapponted, after returning from a several year stint on the reserve board, to find that they were all gone, replaced with gensets.

One time in the 80's (can't remember the year), when the SP was experiencing a power crunch, I was driving through Sylmar on San Fernando road when I cought up to a westbound empty oil can. The only power on it was EIGHT!!!! SW1500's! No idea how they intended to negotiate the west slope of the Tehachapi's (retainers or a helper on the head end I guess) but man, what a racket they were making!

Date: 01/16/16 07:25
Author: hogheaded

Great story!

A note about the SW1500's lugging ability: Early in my braking career, I ran cab hop with a pair from Bayshore to Shinn Siding (Niles) to pick up 110 loaded 100 ton grain cars from WP destined for Mission Bay and export. Contrary to general conception, SF Bay Area rails are not all dead flat. We got a roll on them (maybe 20 MPH) between Niles, but we were down to sub-walking speed at Dumbarton Bridge and Belmont. You would have had to time us with a calendar on the hump west of Millbrae, but we didn't stall. Eleven thousand tons was pretty darn good for a couple of mere "yard" engines. I wish that I could remember who the young E was...

EO

Date: 01/16/16 10:44
Author: switchlamp

Great story Charlie . I always layed low and followed the advise of a few old heads who said do what they say and get it in writing if necessary and watch the operation fall apart.  I too liked the SW1500's and were a super locomotive to work on. 2 of them would take 5000 tons from LA to Gemco. Put it in run 8 all the way to Gemco and have a fire extinguisher ready to put the air filter fire out when you arrived. I remember "King George " Fetty too when he was superintendent and took all the 12 hour tie ups away . Things ground to a halt in LA. It was rumored San Francisco was in on breaking our 12 hour days and supporting this . Supposedly he said to HQ " I have them ( the crews ) where I want them , just send me another million dollars ! ( to cover all the patch crews , misc trouble, BO equipment turning up , carryalls , etc )  Bingo ! San francisco was beat and  it all ended within a few days and we were back to 12 hour tie ups , dead days. happy crews  and most important the work was being done.
 As for another not so bright bully who was at Gemco in the 80's took it upon himself to abolish most of the jobs while General Motors was shut down for the week between Christmas and New Years. I  was the regular engineer on the 9 pm plant job. Up until this guy did this we were looking forward to a few short and dead days during this time to be home with the family. Well this just threw everyone into a spin with bumping and a few would be out of work for the holidays. My last move before being abolished was a kick in the butt from this guy when we finished up after an all nighter and preparing to go home when he said to take ALL the power to Los Angeles except 4 units. This lite engine move amounted to about 10 SW 1500 engines. Most were missing the alignment control blocks for the couplers and I thought it was not safe to do this plus I wanted to go home.  He ordered me to take them as is and I had him put it in writing.  All was good to LA but the top end to the roundhouse was out of service. It  had been raining El Nino for weeks and they sent us to the bottom. Went across the bridge towards the Bull Ring and changed ends. Looked up and we were lined to the Pidgeon Farm track which skirted around Dayton Tower . It was the worst track in all of Los Ageles in my book . I was tired and off we went. There were no rear view mirrors on the SP engines at the time.  Next I heard was Herbert Q Looft ( The tower operator ) Calling on the radio to stop and we were on the ground !  Too late as the switchers with no alignment control jack knifed all over the place. Put 8 on the ground and 2 almost on their sides. I had my paper with me for the inquiry. Supprisingly a carryall  showed up and off we went to Gemco and tied up ( 13 hours on duty ) And I never heard a word about it . Just as well as I did not care that it happened anyway .

Tom

Date: 01/16/16 11:27
Author: CR3

The late Ed Sanford,  hogead on the L.A.Division, told me that he thought the SW1500's were the best engines on the property pound for pound.  I agree and enjoyed opperating them from 1979 through 2000 or whenever they quit.  I left in 2000.

CRS

Date: 01/16/16 14:22
Author: WAF

hogheaded Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great story!
>
> A note about the SW1500's lugging ability: Early
> in my braking career, I ran cab hop with a pair
> from Bayshore to Shinn Siding (Niles) to pick up
> 110 loaded 100 ton grain cars from WP destined for
> Mission Bay and export. Contrary to general
> conception, SF Bay Area rails are not all dead
> flat. We got a roll on them (maybe 20 MPH) between
> Niles, but we were down to sub-walking speed at
> Dumbarton Bridge and Belmont. You would have had
> to time us with a calendar on the hump west of
> Millbrae, but we didn't stall. Eleven thousand
> tons was pretty darn good for a couple of mere
> "yard" engines. I wish that I could remember who
> the young E was...
>
> EO

True story

Date: 01/17/16 08:13
Author: hogheaded

WAF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hogheaded Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Great story!
> >
> > A note about the SW1500's lugging ability:
> Early
> > in my braking career, I ran cab hop with a pair
> > from Bayshore to Shinn Siding (Niles) to pick
> up
> > 110 loaded 100 ton grain cars from WP destined
> for
> > Mission Bay and export. Contrary to general
> > conception, SF Bay Area rails are not all dead
> > flat. We got a roll on them (maybe 20 MPH)
> between
> > Niles, but we were down to sub-walking speed at
> > Dumbarton Bridge and Belmont. You would have
> had
> > to time us with a calendar on the hump west of
> > Millbrae, but we didn't stall. Eleven thousand
> > tons was pretty darn good for a couple of mere
> > "yard" engines. I wish that I could remember
> who
> > the young E was...
> >
> > EO
>
> True story

Jesus! YOU were along for the ride?

[later edit] Well. that came out a little weird.
Revised: WAF! You were along for the ride?
EO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/16 14:02 by hogheaded.

Date: 03/15/16 22:51
Author: JGFuller

As both Wherry's know, two SW1500s were typical power on the South Branch 'crawlers' from Industry. 9000 [or more] tons outbound [but mostly downhill]. No dynamics, so must have been some interesting train-handling. I shoulda asked "Uncle" Miltie Massip, but never did. Now it's too late.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0896 seconds