Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > SP Martha, Yuma

Date: 01/23/16 08:35
SP Martha, Yuma
Author: HardYellow

Back in about 1978, a kitten showed up at the SP Yuma Yard Office. She was immediately adopted as the station pet and given her own personal collar that read, "Southern Pacific RR, Martha." In the early 1980's, Yuma was really flush with company officers. At that time, Gary Greblo was the Yuma Terminal Supt. One day a new Asst. Trainmaster, Don Seil, showed up . His very first command was, "Tomorrow, I want the CAT gone!"  Well, Greblo told him, "The CAT stays, she'll still be here when you're long gone." Years later, Greblo was a Supt. in Portland. It was Christmas time and I was in Yuma one evening and noticed Martha in the locker room. I took this photo of her and sent it to Greblo. I told him, Gary you were right, Don Seil is long gone and Martha is still running things at Yuma. Martha lasted into the early 2000's. She was 25 when she passed. I think there's a marker at Yuma in her memory.

Date: 01/23/16 10:14
Re: SP Martha, Yuma
Author: spider1319

Great story.We had railroad cats at different locations on the Santa Fe  ie.shops, yard offices.They  were morale builders that gave everyone something to look forward to at work.Bill Webb

Date: 01/23/16 10:45
Author: HardYellow

There were a lot of rails, Los Angeles  and Tucson Divisions, that always brought Martha a treat. Linda Gasser of Tucson was a pushover for Martha. Over the years, she got where she recognized voices that were friendly. It could be 2am in the morning. If she heard a voice that usually had a treat, she was right there at their feet.

Date: 01/23/16 10:54
Author: CR3

I remember Martha.  Neat cat! That brings to mind the little dog that was adopted by the switchmen at the hump in W. Colton.  She had a litter of puppies and the switchmen built her a dog house and penned up the puppies.  By that time the terminal superintendent had had enough.  They gave the puppies away and one guy whom the dog loved adoped her.  She used to follow him all over the hump yard when he was riding on the engine steps.  As for cats, you know how that got out of control at the AD building. I think Tim saved a couple of them.  They wore out their welcome when they started getting in the locker room and leaving fleas on the benches.

CRS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/16 10:56 by CR3.

Date: 01/23/16 11:29
Author: Waybiller

Nice ripe old age for Martha.  I regret not taking one of the kittens a carman found in the CLC's Longview yard.  Thought 'airshack' would have been a great name for cat.

Date: 01/23/16 15:16
Author: RollinB

Dogs are (or were) sometimes good community pets at crew change terminals.  At Victoria, TX, in the 60's there was a sweet long haired pointer mix named Annie.  She always sat politely in the register room and never begged but was very appreciative of her regular meals which were served by the train order operators.  One conductor, however, was her daddy and she always went out to his caboose on the train's arrival to meet him. 

His job was the San Antonio local which ran Victoria to San Antonio MWF and returned to Victoria TTS.  Every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday Annie would perk up when she heard a train coming from the part of town east of the yard office on Laurent Street because that always meant her master was returning to town.  All other trains arriving Victoria from Houston, Yoakum, Beeville and Port Lavaca just rated a yawn.  The San Antonio local's arrival, however, caused her to go to the door, bark to be let out and wait just in the clear of the lead until the caboose stopped and she could greet her favorite conductor.

rdb

Date: 01/23/16 15:19
Author: sp3204

Oh lord, the wabac machine (sorry SR), just kicked in. Worked many a midnight goat in Yuma on a 7 day stand. If you took beans in the yard office Martha would generally find you for a nibble! Can't believe she lived that long with all the junk she probably ate from the rails...memories!

Date: 01/23/16 16:32
Author: PHall

sp3204 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh lord, the wabac machine (sorry SR), just kicked
> in. Worked many a midnight goat in Yuma on a 7 day
> stand. If you took beans in the yard office Martha
> would generally find you for a nibble! Can't
> believe she lived that long with all the junk she
> probably ate from the rails...memories!
>  

It's been proven that pets that are "loved" seem to live longer. Probably due to less stress.
Martha was obviously very loved!

Date: 01/24/16 01:46
Author: Seventyfive

What a great story! Thanks for it and the photo too.  Also enjoyed the readers' stories as well.  I recall hearing Gary on my scanner in the late 80's getting early morning briefings from Bob Melbo.  The SP held many dinners and get-togethers for shippers back then and I remember Gary at several.  I was working for a large wood products firm then, one since devoured by Weyerhaeuser.

Date: 01/24/16 08:35
Author: BCHellman

I remember meeting Martha and was impressed by her stash of kitty food and treats stored in the office. I also admired how she sauntered along the passenger platforms oblivious to the passing trains. A super kitty and glad you took a picture.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/24/16 08:39

Nice story about Annie.We had dogs too and they brighten your day. Thanks. Bill Webb

Date: 01/24/16 09:17
Author: tehachcond

Unfortunately, Martha was 86ed from the Yuma yard office when some extra board brakeman from West Colton complained about an allergic reaction from cat dander.  One of the clerks adopted Martha and took her home, but according to her, she missed being around the yard office.  That brakeman was a pariah for a long time!
   Yes, when I retired in 2006, there was a marker placed at the yard office. I wonder what happened to it when the office was moved down to the Subway.

Brian Black
Castle Rock, CO

Date: 01/24/16 10:03
Author: Chico43

spider1319 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice story about Annie.We had dogs too and they
> brighten your day. Thanks. Bill Webb

Bill, do you remember Millie at Watson and Bigfoot at Mission Tower?

Date: 01/24/16 10:28
Author: JimBaker

Was 'Big Foot' the Guard Dog at the foot of the stairs up to Mission Tower?
That was the end of my hanging around the track near the tower.

--Jim Baker

Date: 01/25/16 07:44

I remember Millie at Watson.It seemed there was always a dog at Watson.Plus,remmber Daryl's dogs at San Diego 22nd St. Yard?Bill Webb

Date: 02/02/16 15:08
Author: hogheaded

Cripes, Don Seil...

We were in a switchman new-hire training class together in San Jose. Yuma must have been his first officer assignment. I can't put into print what I'm thinking right now.

EO
Yay Martha!

Date: 02/04/16 08:01
Author: SP4810

Brian, 
Edye was the clerk that took Martha home and adopted her. 
Skeeter

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.066 seconds