Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Union Pacific Officer’s Special

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/26/16 07:05
Union Pacific Officer’s Special
Author: HardYellow

I'm sure many will remember seeing this UP Officer's Special photo floating around the Web way back in 2000. Well, it's been 16 years now and the true story should come out. The photo was taken in the yard at Ferrum, 30 miles east of Indio, California, on the SP's Sunset Route. The yard there was a small, four or five tracks, used to service the Kaiser Ore Train. The line from Kaiser's Eagle Mountain comes in at the east end of the yard. It had been a few years since any traffic had seen the tracks there, weeds were everywhere. Apparently, whom ever owned the place decided to have it cleaned. For a number of weeks, they had a weed abatement crew working there, and had this “Prota Potty” toilet on this little speeder flat car. I was making a trip east to Yuma with Conductor Kenny Bolls. As we passed Ferrum, I told him; I would love to get a large Union Pacific shield logo and stick it on that toilet. Next day, Kenny and I were called for a westbound, out of Yuma. After we got under way, he says, “Look what I have.” He pulled a large UP shield out of his grip. I asked where he got the damn thing. He had gone down to the signal department and talked them into giving him one. I'll tell you, the SP Gods were with us this trip. About Niland, we caught up with a slow “Dog,” followed him on yellows for miles. Finally, as we approached Ferrum, I told Kenny, I'm going to stop the train, let's run over, you stick that shield on the toilet and I'll take a few photos. I roared into Ferrum on a yellow, full dynamic, full service, jumped off and we did our “dirty work.” By the time we got back on our train and started to pull, the west end of Ferrum was flashing yellow. No one in Omaha even noticed we stopped. Here are some photos of or deed. From what I understand, this original photo made it all over the Web. Omaha was not very happy, even considered making a reward for the culprits evolved. Well, now everyone knows...the rest of the story.....AND, so does Omaha. I'll bet Kenny and I don't receive our UP Calendar next year.  

Date: 01/26/16 07:43
Re: Union Pacific Officer’s Special
Author: SP4360

That's Omaha's weed weasel transporter, 1 to beam up.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/26/16 07:51
Author: trainjunkie

Outstanding work! Thanks for finally sharing the story.

Date: 01/26/16 08:20
Author: Ironbender

I always say: If you live long enough, you'll get your answer.  I'm sure that picture was seen by just about everyone from Dallas to Shreveport on poles, shantys, signal cases - you name it.  Of course, the pictures only lasted until the first hyrail came along. I did actually hear about some type of "reward" or something if you turned in anyone who you observed placing one these pictures on company property.  All of a sudden, we all came down with the "Sgt. Schultz" syndrom to the dismay of management.  You California SP guys had the desert to hide in to do that kind of stuff . . . there was a damn highway following the line here and no one would dare to even think about stopping a train for such a mission!  Thanks for the "rest of the story.  Good day!"

Date: 01/26/16 08:43
Author: frontier

If you're retired you WON'T get a calendar any way! 

Date: 01/26/16 08:49

frontier Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you're retired you WON'T get a calendar any
> way! 

I know...that started this year. Things are tight on the UP. I'll bet retired corporate heads still receive a calendar.

Date: 01/26/16 09:34
Author: BobB

HardYellow Wrote:
> frontier Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If you're retired you WON'T get a calendar any
> > way! 
>
>
> I know...that started this year. Things are tight
> on the UP. I'll bet retired corporate heads still
> receive a calendar.

My wife's 95 year old aunt, whose husband was in UP sales in San Francisco, still gets her calendar.  She sends it to me.

Date: 01/26/16 10:03
Author: kk5ol

Business Car . . .

Date: 01/26/16 10:08
Author: alamedafrank

BobB Wrote:
> HardYellow Wrote:
> -----
> > frontier Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > If you're retired you WON'T get a calendar
> any
> > > way! 
> >
> >
> > I know...that started this year. Things are
> tight
> > on the UP. I'll bet retired corporate heads
> still
> > receive a calendar.
>
>
> My wife's 95 year old aunt, whose husband was in
> UP sales in San Francisco, still gets her
> calendar.  She sends it to me.           I am a retired engineer and I received a calendar this year, 2016, and also got a postcard to send one to someone else. Alamedafrank

Date: 01/26/16 10:21

BobB Wrote:
> HardYellow Wrote:
> -----
> > frontier Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > If you're retired you WON'T get a calendar
> any
> > > way! 
> >
> >
> > I know...that started this year. Things are
> tight
> > on the UP. I'll bet retired corporate heads
> still
> > receive a calendar.
>
>
> My wife's 95 year old aunt, whose husband was in
> UP sales in San Francisco, still gets her
> calendar.  She sends it to me.

I'm sure it's the X-SP Employees who got their calendars cutt off. I and many other SP retired employees didn't get one this year, 2016. That's okay though, Wells Fargo gave me a really nice one.

Date: 01/26/16 11:35
Author: CR3

Great story Paul!  Brings to mind what some of the guys wrote with rocks on the flood control berms leading to the culverts.  There were some derogatory remarks about certain engineers I think out there.

I did not get a calendar either but now i have a reson to buy one about another railroad that I would rather have.  I always used the U.P. Calendar out of loyalty but now that's over.

CRS

Date: 01/26/16 12:54
Author: BCHellman

Ironbender Wrote:
> You California SP guys had
> the desert to hide in to do that kind of stuff . .
> . there was a damn highway following the line
> here and no one would dare to even think about
> stopping a train for such a mission! 

At Ferrum state highway 111 parallels the track, and it can be a busy highway.

Date: 01/26/16 13:01
Author: Exespee

No UP calender but OSH supplied one.  I still have the UP Officer's Special foto on my machine that I downloaded when it first appeared.  Great to hear it's history!

Date: 01/26/16 18:16
Author: 3rdswitch

Be happy to get a free calendar, BNSF not only does not send calendars to retirees but they cannot make photo contributions either. I will admit It was a great company to work for but after retirement the party is over.
​JB

Date: 01/26/16 19:01
Author: trainjunkie

Guess BNSF is the opposite of the UP there Joe. It's a crappy company to work for, at least in train service, but the party starts as soon as you retire and GTFU! LOL!

Date: 01/26/16 21:56
Author: wa4umr

Ironbender Wrote:
> .  All of a sudden, we all
> came down with the "Sgt. Schultz" syndrom to the
> dismay of management.  

I used to do a few "special projects" where I worked.  I wasn't the only one but I probably did more than half of the stuff.  I "got credit" for something one time and I was on vacation that time.  Whenever they questioned us about who did it, I always admitted it, whether I did it or not.  They never knew if I did it or not.  

John

Date: 01/27/16 06:39
Author: hogheaded

HardYellow Wrote:
> frontier Wrote:
> -----
> > If you're retired you WON'T get a calendar any
> > way! 
>
>
> I know...that started this year. Things are tight
> on the UP. I'll bet retired corporate heads still
> receive a calendar.

Naw, putting calendars in bathrooms would affect the suits' bottom line, although upon reflection, a pile of them of them would be handy. And it certainly would be a more satisfying process putting them to their highest and best use, instead of merely burning them.

If it makes you feel better, Amtrak doesn't send me a calendar anymore, either. Times are tough all over. Personally, I'd say that things have been going to hell since dear SP stopped handing out Thanksgiving turkey gift certificates.

EO
I salute your brilliance!

Date: 01/27/16 19:20
Author: mtnwestrail

That is so funny.  Thanks for sharing how you got it.  I think the second photo is my favorite.  I bet the rest of that trip was quite enjoyable.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 02/01/16 21:47
Author: fjc

That is like the "Buckethead" culprits UP & BNSF were all pissed off about.

Date: 02/02/16 09:34

mtnwestrail Wrote:
.  I
> bet the rest of that trip was quite enjoyable.

All trips with Kenny Bolls were fun. I aways said, "it's not the train you're called for, it's whom you're working with." I'll bet many rails here would agree.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0719 seconds