Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > One Of The Boys

Date: 02/05/16 18:18
One Of The Boys
Author: Railbaron

I hired out very young, which wasn't that unusual in the early 70's. My 18th birthday was at the end of May 1972, I graduated high school in early June 1972, and by early September 1972 I was making student trips for the SP finally getting my official seniority date of September 30, 1972. Over the 42 years, 9 months I worked for SP, and then UP, I had many really neat things occur along with a few really bad things happen. But one of earliest neat things, in fact the earliest thing, that happened that meant a lot to me happened on one of my student trips.

​I had made a few trips on jobs out of San Francisco and San Jose and even back then crews would talk about students. One of the jobs I worked on my student trips was the Gilroy Local out of San Jose. It went to work at 0700 and worked from San Jose to Gilroy and back. Although it would be hard to believe today, especially when you look at the lack of industries today, the job worked 14 hours a day (the 12 hour law came in later). The crew had a lot of fun ribbing me about my "hourly" rate - I made $12.70 per day regardless of hours worked so I wasn't even making $1 per hour. To me it was priceless because I was doing what I wanted to do.

​I no longer remember who the engineer was or who the conductor was but the brakemen on the job were Mike Balin and Freddy DeWald; they treated me awesome. They didn't cut me any slack, made me work, and if I screwed up they let me know it. But they also taught me more than probably any of the other crews I was with as a student. They also really made me feel like "one of the brothers". For my part I was always gungho and wanted to learn and do good. I kept my mouth shut but my eyes and ears open and did what I was told to do; the more freedom they gave me the more I did.

​On this day, the first day I caught the job, I met them at the yard in San Jose. I'm sure the last thing they wanted on this day was some young 18 year old punk kid not yet wet behind the ears. They took me under their wings though and off we went. We departed San Jose and started "east" towards Gilroy. We made all the usual stops to work at Perry, Morgan Hill, San Martin, and finally got to Gilroy close to noon. Once there it was decided it was time for "beans". We put the train away and tied the engine down near the depot. Once done Mike asked if I liked Mexican food since that was their usual place to eat. To me Mexican food were the enchiladas my mom made but that day I discovered real Mexican food.

​The 5 of us entered the restaurant and sat at a large table. I must not have pissed anybody off so far as the whole crew was really treating me great, like one of the boys. But what happened next really made an impression on me - really made me feel like I had been accepted into the "brotherhood". When the waitress came with the chips and salsa she asked what we wanted to drink. Before I could say anything Mike told her, "Dos Equis all around", and then looked at me with one of those "keep your mouth shut, kid" looks and a smile on his face. The waitress looks at me with a "Yeah, right!" look but shortly there were 5 Dos Equis on the table - including one in front of this pimply faced teenager. But that simple act that I remember so well was one of the nicest things to happen - I had been accepted as a brother and from that day on I always wanted to do the best I could so as not to let down Mike and Freddy and all their training.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/16 18:27 by Railbaron.

Date: 02/05/16 19:20
Re: One Of The Boys
Author: trainjunkie

It's not easy to become "one of the boys" but those who succeed usually do so by some variation of what Railbaron stated, "...kept my mouth shut but my eyes and ears open and did what I was told to do". Some people never seem to learn this valuable lesson, such as this poor sap who posted his recent, and hilarious experience over on AP...

http://www.altamontpress.com/discussion/read.php?1,128865,128865#msg-128865

BNSF dodged a bullet on this one.

Date: 02/05/16 21:19
Author: OliveHeights

Great story.

Date: 02/06/16 12:00
Author: RS11

trainjunkie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's not easy to become "one of the boys" but
> those who succeed usually do so by some variation
> of what Railbaron stated, "...kept my mouth shut
> but my eyes and ears open and did what I was told
> to do". Some people never seem to learn this
> valuable lesson, such as this poor sap who posted
> his recent, and hilarious experience over on
> AP...
>
> http://www.altamontpress.com/discussion/read.php?1
> ,128865,128865#msg-128865
>
> BNSF dodged a bullet on this one.

I read that whole story.  Sounds fishy to me, but anyway....

How could one guy hit on all things not to do all at once?  In any case, if all that is true, yeah, BNSF dodge a big one.

Date: 02/06/16 20:51
Author: trkspd

trainjunkie:

Thank you so much for posting that link....you made my entire YEAR.

Reading that post and the replies has me rolling right now.

Amazing

Posted from Android

DG .
Unknown, US

Date: 02/06/16 21:56
Author: Beowawe

Had the pleasure to work with Fred Dewalds brother Don doing training around the UP.  He told me Fred worked the last Del Monte in and out of Monterey.

Date: 02/09/16 16:56
Author: rabidcats

Anyone else remember hearing this one?  "Got a jug,kiddo?  Well, gawdam go get one or lay off!!!"

Date: 02/28/16 08:41
Author: switchlamp

Railbaron , This is a great story. Thank you ,

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/16 08:42 by switchlamp.

Date: 03/21/16 22:33
Author: EricSP

trainjunkie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's not easy to become "one of the boys" but
> those who succeed usually do so by some variation
> of what Railbaron stated, "...kept my mouth shut
> but my eyes and ears open and did what I was told
> to do". Some people never seem to learn this
> valuable lesson, such as this poor sap who posted
> his recent, and hilarious experience over on
> AP...
>
> http://www.altamontpress.com/discussion/read.php?1
> ,128865,128865#msg-128865
>
> BNSF dodged a bullet on this one.

Never let work or learning how to do your job interfere with foaming.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0583 seconds