Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Two Retired Milwaukee Hoggers

Date: 05/01/16 15:53
Two Retired Milwaukee Hoggers
Author: MILW86A

Yesterday the Iowa Chapter of the NRHS toured the Eldon Iowa Rock Island Depot Museum. Heres a couple of retired hoggers who both worked on the Milwaukee out of Ottumwa, IA

The gent on the left is Bill Greenley. He hired out with the MILW in 1971 at Ottumwa. Promoted to engineer in 1973. Stayed thru the SOO, CP, and IMRL and then left there in 1999 and finished his career with Amtrak out of Lincoln working the CZ to Ottumwa. 

The guy on the right is Richard Hemm. He hired out on the Rock Island at Eldon in 1958. Became an engineer shortly there after then when the Rock closed in 1980, went to work for the MILW out of Ottumwa.  A injury in Muscatine Yard cut his career short in 1987.

Both told me that they piloted each other. Richard piloted Bill when the MILW ran on the RI in 1977-78 from Culver to Polo. And Bill piloted Richard when he came to work for the MILW. 

MILW86A  

Date: 05/01/16 21:03
Re: Two Retired Milwaukee Hoggers
Author: switchlamp

Thanks for posting.

Tom

Date: 05/03/16 20:47
Author: displacedneb

Bill was one of the first people I met after going to work for Milw in 1972. Great guy.

Date: 05/08/16 11:10
Author: wpjones

Haven't seen "Whittle Bill" since my Amtrak Career ended in 2002. I was the Agent in Lincoln and saw him alot. For those that don't know Bill liked to Whittle thus the nick name. He also modeled in HO and made loads for grain loaded boxcars.
Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/16 11:14 by wpjones.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0445 seconds