Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Retiring D&RGW Engineer.

Date: 07/01/16 14:57
Retiring D&RGW Engineer.
Author: tehachcond

Back about 1982, my family and I were passengers on westbound Amtrak # 5.  Upon chatting with one of the brakemen, I learned that the engineer we had that day, Louie Montefusco, was making his last trip after 50+ years of service with the D&RGW.  Back then, Amtrak took its operating crews from the individual railroads.  They were not directly employed by Amtrak.
   When we got to Grand Junction, the crew change point, I hotfooted it to the head end to try to get a good picture of him that I could send to him.  In that, I was unsuccessful, since I had to get back on the train or get left.
   Do any of you former D7RGW old heads remember Louie?  I'll bet he could tell some stories.

1.  The train at Grand Jct.  It was common to have a freight unit on the point, since the train ran long and heavy in those days.

2.  A tight crop from the first image.  I believe Louie is the guy in the middle with the light colored hat.

Thanks for looking

Brian Black
Castle Rock, CO

Date: 07/01/16 18:51
Re: Retiring D&RGW Engineer.
Author: tomstp

I thought the Rio Grande ran the passenger train until spring of  1983.  So would suspect it would be a 1983 picture unless I am wrong.

Date: 07/01/16 22:03
Author: WAF

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought the Rio Grande ran the passenger train
> until spring of  1983.  So would suspect it
> would be a 1983 picture unless I am wrong.

Your are right, After July, 1983

Date: 07/02/16 13:24
Author: cozephyr

Stan, a dead ringer for Buffalo Bill, retired from D&RGW/SP/UP May 2016.  The Rio Grande guys are almost all gone from the Denver Service Unit.

Date: 08/13/16 23:48
Author: dan

any Grande guys work for BNSF, esp out of G Jct?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds