Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > More SP employee rosters

Date: 01/04/17 09:38
More SP employee rosters
Author: hogheaded

I've posted five more PDF's of SP employee seniority rosters from old commercial time books, including four Portland District/Division rosters for various crafts: 1947, 1959, 1968, 1977. These came courtesy of Bob Melbo, who was an Oregon Division assistant superintendent when I was a lowly Dunsmuir fireman in the mid-1980's, and who now is State Rail Planner for Oregon DOT. He actually sent  a whole stack of them, including 1960, 1962, 1965 & 1972. Should anyone require a copy of one of these, I'll be glad to reproduce it. THANKS BOB! I've also posted a 1985 Sacramento Division roster from my own collection, as well.

SP Employee Rosters

Regards,
EO

unrelated, but amusing:

Date: 01/04/17 11:46
Re: More SP employee rosters
Author: spnudge

Thanks.
I have a  59-60 Inter-Mountain Time book that shows the SP Coast, Yardmasters,  Yardmen, Conductors, Passenger Brakemen, Brakemen, Engineers, Fireman, Hostlers, Hostler Helpers.

Also have a "1973 Railroad Time Book"  that lists SP Coast Engineers, Coast Firemen, Coast Brakemen and Coast Conductors. Also listed are Santa Fe Valley Division Engineers, Firemen, Brakemen,  Conductors, Yard Helpers & Foremen,  Also listed are SP San Joaquin Engineers, Firemen, Switchmen, Conductors, Yardmasters. ( I am listed as #252 out of #264 and there were 48 un-promoted Fireman behind #264 at the time.

Finally a 1976 "Railroad Time Book" with SP Engineers, Firemen, Switchmen, Brakemen, Conductors,  San Joaquin and Western Coast Division. In it is printed San Joaquin Division Timetable, Stockton Subdivision, Bakersfield Subdivision, Mojave Subdivision Western Division, Salinas Subdivision and Santa Barbara Subdivision,  In the same book is the Santa Fe Coast lines Valley Division Timetable No. 18. Funny thing though, going through this book, the cover stated just as I quoted above. Inside it didn't list anybody's name or seniority number. Strange.

The 59-60 Inter-Mountain has a lot of "Old Ads" that are a kick. Phone numbers like PArkway for Wat.Jct,, LIberty 3 & 4 for SLO, GR for Santa Cruz,  HA for Salinas, FR for Monterey, RAndolph for Merced and GLadstone for Sacramento. Of course who could forget, DOuglas 2-1212. 65 Market in the City. NE was Castroville and if you wanted Guadalupe 4184, you went through the operator. And Santa Barbara was WOodland.

If you want to "copy" these, let me know.  John ? ,  Hogheaded?

Nudge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/17 11:47 by spnudge.

Date: 01/04/17 18:28
Author: milepost180

Was he wearing a vest when he was thrown into the creek?

Date: 01/04/17 20:10
Author: bradleymckay

"He & She Adult Book Store" has an ad in the 1977 Oregon Division, Portland District book.  That's classic!

Allen

Date: 01/04/17 22:45
Author: Westbound

EO – Very interesting to read those old SP rosters. Some of those names are men who later went on to become Operating officers. J F Bays, Frank Brunzell, C E Peacock, and W T Chelonis come quickly to mind.
 R P Van Hauter had an awful commute to San Francisco and I believe he is one of those who became a brakeman / conductor and worked on the Cal-P, closer to home.
 J M Arce was the local chairman for the Switchmen. He suffered a back injury when he slipped and fell in vegetable oil while switching the butter house (trying to remember just what they processed – mayonnaise?) in the City and could never return to work.  
S W Kwok transferred across the bay and worked in West Oakland Yard as a switchman. 

One name is missing from the list since he was gone by 1978:  Robert H Houston – On the night of October 5, 1976 he was working as a switchman at Mission Bay Yard and was murdered while riding a flatcar. Some believe he was an early victim of the infamous Peoples Temple. No agency, including the San Francisco Police and the FBI, could successfully identify his killer.

Date: 01/05/17 05:01

Westbound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> EO – Very interesting to read those old SP
> rosters.

Yeah Gary, looking at those old rosters is like a stroll down memory lane, isn't it? Given how much time I now spend looking for lost reading glasses, I'm amazed that when I run across the name of somebody whom I haven't thought about in decades, I can suddenly recall his life story. I suppose that it is like that for most people.

BTW, Seller is going to lend me his time books for copying, but I'm away from home terminal until March, so we're going to wait until then.

That comic that I attached just tickles me to death. It's implications are both hilarious and borderline tragic. Has this guy had so many accidents that he thinks that his wife has trouble sorting them all out? And he is so ho-hum about it: No "Do you remember when the $%&@ hoghead knocked me into the drink?" Accident rates in those days were astronomic, so maybe this guy's attitude was par for the course. One had to be "manly" about such things.

EO

Date: 01/06/17 10:02
Author: MILW86A

found author John Cockrell on the Sac Div Roster for Engineers.

MILW86A

Date: 01/06/17 21:06
Author: bradleymckay

MILW86A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> found author John Cockrell on the Sac Div Roster
> for Engineers.
>
> MILW86A

And engineer Tom Dill, author of several railroad books, is in the Oregon Division, Portland District book.

Allen

Date: 01/08/17 05:58

I would surely like to locate a Shasta Division/District book to copy that lists my mentors.

EO

Date: 01/08/17 12:51
Author: spnudge

Tom was just ahead of me on the Coast before he went to the Oregon/Shasta Division in Eugene. Nice guy.

Nudge

Date: 01/25/17 06:55
Author: tak1188

I have a 1937 Tucson Division Engineers & Fireman roster and a copy of a 1917 Tucson Div engineers timebook with his remarks in it I can make copies of both if anyone is interested. I would like about a 1945 engineers/firemen seniority list for the Shasta Division.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.052 seconds