Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Books on modern day rail labor history?

Date: 12/29/16 07:54
Books on modern day rail labor history?
Author: inCHI

I'm coming across fascinating and horrific stories on here about particular events in rail labor history, like "Hate Week" and the UTU strike in 1971. But if I take that example and do an internet search, I get surprisingly few results that offer more information. In the same way, I have had a hard time finding much on labor issues from the last couple decades. In another example, I stumbled across a UTU local "timeline of rail labor history" where there are just a few entries for the 70's-00's, yet some cover what seem like huge items. Are there any books or substantial resources about more recent times?

Date: 12/29/16 15:59
Re: Books on modern day rail labor history?
Author: alamedafrank

Check EBAY, I just looked and there are 18 books under "Railroad Labor History" currently for bid.

Date: 12/29/16 18:26
Author: spnudge

Try Dr. Fredrick Gampts. He rode with me a few times doing a study on TOs on the Coast. Also switching, operation etc.  He has a lot of published materials out there.

I think thats how you spell his last name. Can't find the info on him now,.

Nudge

Date: 12/29/16 18:57
Author: ButteStBrakeman

spnudge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try Dr. Fredrick Gampts. He rode with me a few
> times doing a study on TOs on the Coast. Also
> switching, operation etc.  He has a lot of
> published materials out there.
>
> I think thats how you spell his last name. Can't
> find the info on him now,.
>
> Nudge

Fred Gamst, Sellear. He attends our retiree's breakfast every month.

V

SLOCONDR

Date: 12/30/16 08:19
Author: spnudge

Thanks. Tell him hello.  I tried to find one of his books when he rode with me but they were all out of print. The last note I got from him was years ago and he was on the east coast. Glad to hear he is still with us.

Nudge

Date: 12/30/16 14:17
Author: inCHI

Thanks for the tips!

Date: 01/01/17 01:36
Author: OPRJPM

Dr Fredrick Gamst

Date: 01/05/17 21:02
Author: NiceHandTick

I seem to remember many of trips in 1971,more than any other year.  On the Santa Fe we still ran when the UP struck.  Different Wage and Work Rules were implemented and they were doozies.  Engineers had settled so they were still working under their rules and contracts, so they handled them different.  Engineers loved the suffering we went through on the ground.  When it was over we had a 4.00 meal allowance for the first 4 hours then 4.00 more after 8 more hours.  The engineers were stuck with 2.50.   They were furious over that, and it was awhile before they got to say "ME TOO!".

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0406 seconds