Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > who's in charge?

Date: 10/10/05 19:02
who's in charge?
Author: GAP

In the "old days" it was said that the conductor was the boss, making the final decisions of train operations. Nowdays with two man crews, the conductor is usually the "youngster" of the crew, so who's in charge when a final decision has to be made?

Date: 10/10/05 19:31
Re: who's in charge?
Author: Ster2Block

From what my New Castle buds told me...

The engineer is in charge of the engines themselves, and the train belongs to the conductor.

Tony

Date: 10/11/05 11:41
Author: jonnycando

Ster2Block Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From what my New Castle buds told me...
>
> The engineer is in charge of the engines
> themselves, and the train belongs to the
> conductor.
>
> Tony

That is correct. In practice crews will talk matters over with each other, and if in doubt consult the rules, if in further doubt newbies will often defer to the senior man.

Date: 10/11/05 14:43
Author: Anvilhead

Ster2Block Wrote:
> From what my New Castle buds told me...
>
> The engineer is in charge of the engines
> themselves, and the train belongs to the
> conductor.
>
> Tony

I guess you could say that as a general statement. This will be argued now and then until the end of time, however.

I don't think there is a clearly defined line in place, but everything behind the consist's rear drawbar belongs to the C, as a general rule.

The hogger generally gets the lion's share when discipline is handed out, partly because of the FRA license that is required. This carries some mandatory penalties not applicable to the conductor.

It's a prickly topic.

Date: 10/11/05 17:52
Author: ConrailTV-6

Some of the advocates of going to a single operating craft are using this as one justification.

Date: 10/12/05 07:32
Author: rfprr1

This thread got me to thinking. If you wanted to take a peek inside the cab, who's call is it? Engineer or conductor?

rfprr

Date: 10/12/05 08:12
The conductor has the last word...
Author: fmw

but as was said in the above posts, the new guys will usually defer to the engineer. It is all about teamwork, really. Sometimes I have to do a lot of piloting from the engineer's seat. Often it's either help the new guy or the work doesn't get done, because there is no qualified pilot available on the extraboard, and the customer needs a switch today without fail.

Once you get some time in as a conductor, you can assume your role, but it is still best to talk things over and cooperate, especially when you are into a gray area in the rules or operating environment. It prevents a ton of frustration.

Ultimately, the conductor is in charge of getting the switching done, or seeing that the train gets over the road. That's why he is in charge of the train, and seeing that all rules are obeyed and instructions followed. In practice, the more experienced man often gets a larger share of the blame, no matter which craft he is in.

Date: 10/12/05 09:06
Author: Diddle_E._Squat

Alexander Haig.

Date: 10/12/05 09:35
Author: ConrailTV-6

A willingness to "take charge" is non-existant on a certain three letter railroad. :-)

Diddle_E._Squat Wrote:
> Alexander Haig.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0457 seconds