Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > PV at Waycross Yard..Anyone know what it is???

Date: 12/10/05 17:26
PV at Waycross Yard..Anyone know what it is???
Author: RFandPFan

Parked with MOW equipment at Waycross (Rice Yard). Anyone know what is the heritage and who owns it???

Date: 12/10/05 17:40
Re: PV at Waycross Yard..Anyone know what it is???
Author: ddavies

It was the next to last car on an RF&P freight a day or two ago. Was not expecting anything at the end of the train, so never got a picture.

Date: 12/10/05 17:44
Author: RFandPFan

ddavies Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was the next to last car on an RF&P freight
> a day or two ago. Was not expecting anything at
> the end of the train, so never got a picture.

Probably Q409, since it ended up in Waycross. How's things up there in the cold & snow Dave? Great snow shots of the RF&P that you posted. Can't say as I miss it though, mid 60's railfanning in short sleeve shirts in December!

Date: 12/11/05 04:09
Author: Jack_Deasy

RFandPFan Wrote:
> Anyone know what is the heritage and who owns
> it???

Although that is a small image to work from, I believe the car pictured is BLUE RIDGE owned by Classic Rail Cars. This former NS/N&W research car and office car was built by ACF in 1914. The heavyweight car was active in PV travel on Amtrak thru the mid/late 1990s, but the owners let their Amtrak certifications lapse ... around a hlaf-dozen years ago, it was repainted from N&W red to L&N blue ... BLUE RIDGE had been used in charter service on the now defunct Northern Central Railway in Pennsylvania ... I think it has been stored at Mid-Atlantic Railcar in eastern PA ... I know a few years ago it made a trip from the vicinity of Michigan to Georgia as the riders car on a special train accompanying a decommissioned nuclear reactor and/or used fuel rods on their way to a DOE facility.

Date: 12/11/05 07:01
Author: ddavies

RFandPFan Wrote:

> Great snow shots of the RF&P that you posted.
> Can't say as I miss it though, mid 60's
> railfanning in short sleeve shirts in December!
>

Thanks. The next storm just dumped rain down south of Fredericksburg. :-(

With all the evergreen trees down in the Ruther Glen area, I love to go down there in winter time, since it doesn't look so barren (like Shenandoah Junction now). Have waited for a time to shoot that shot in the snow for a couple years, just wish the juice would have had matched GEVOs. ;-) (but that is close enough).

Date: 12/12/05 09:43
Author: prropcrew

I sent the picture off to a friend and he confirmed it as the "blue ridge". One of the more tell-tale signs as a slight bend in the observation platform from when the car was humped once. The current owner of the cra, Classic Railcars under the management of Mr. Ken Bitten, is leasing this car out at the moment. Due to Mr. Bitten's way of running the northern central railway and some of his other ventures there is a court case currently building up against him, and the picture of his car, shown here in service certainly won't help him any.

As for Amtrak certification of this car, it will never be re-certified by Amtrak as long as Mr. Bitten owns it. (Yes, he pissed them off that much.) Anyway, to be brought up to current Amtrak certs. the car would need at least $250,000 put into it.

Otherwise, thanx for the posting and the ncie pic.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0466 seconds