Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > If you fail a drug test on the RR, what happens?

Date: 03/20/06 17:53
If you fail a drug test on the RR, what happens?
Author: Ster2Block

I was walking to class today and passed a couple kids speaking about failing a drug test that they had to have for work...that got me thinking.

I know CSX and NS do random drug testing...but what happens if a crewman tests positive for marijuana but is not high at the time of the test? Say it's administered under that week of urinating positive after use?

What are the RR's stances on this?

Tony

Date: 03/20/06 18:19
Re: If you fail a drug test on the RR, what happens?
Author: tucker

Railroads have a no tolerance policy but, I believe they will send you rehab for your first failed test. The next test is automatic dismissal with no help from the Unions. Some railroads may have a different policy.

Date: 03/20/06 18:25
Author: ConrailTV-6

Date: 03/20/06 19:04
Author: roustabout

Where I work, you're gone if you fail. Zero tolerance.

Date: 03/20/06 19:24
Author: csx4798

roustabout Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where I work, you're gone if you fail. Zero
> tolerance.

you must remember here recent CSX has changed Rule G and most by passes are no longer available.

Date: 03/20/06 19:33
Author: OscarManheim

I find it odd that if you get tested for alcohol and fail on our Class I, you are fired for 9 months...but testing positive for illegal drugs only gets you one month off and some counseling. Go figure...

Date: 03/20/06 20:22
"Shot a HOT one"
Author: MEKoch

I would send folks to the railroad doctor for drug testing. I still remember the doctor called up one day and said: "He shot a hot one!"

Date: 03/21/06 05:09
Re: "Shot a HOT one"

The fact is that drugs and alcohol were quite common place on the railroad up until Ricky Gates. Many oldheads I worked with told me stories that may make some people's jaws drop. Two of my favorite stories told to me are...

A crew caller who worked out of a bar, becuase that's where all the crews were. And...

A yard crew that would work an industrial branch. The crew would stop at a bar beside the track and drink until they were on overtime. This was back in the day when the hours of service was 16 hours.

Railroading and railroaders have changed alot in 30 years!

Date: 03/21/06 06:07
Author: Sirsonic

While the actual discipline is up to the carrier, normally on the first time you fail a random D&A you will be on the street for 30 days and sent to rehab before you are allowed to return to service. Following your return, you will be subject to frequent testing for some time (1-2 years is common I believe). If you fail a second D&A in your carer, or fail a post accident D&A, you will likely be looking for a new job. Engineers are subject to decertification regulations for rule G violations.

The 9 month (actually I think its 10 months) federally mandated suspension (before the railroad is even allowed to fire you) is for refusal to submit to a drug and alcohol test in accordance with rule G. Why mandate the suspension? To make you think twice about refusing the test. Most RR's make quite clear this penalty. Also, with such a mark on your record, it is likely you will not be finding work with any other railroad.

It is possible, but uncommon, for the FRA to ban an individual from "safety sensitive" service (mainly those crafts covered by hours of service, but some other crafts too).

Date: 03/21/06 11:29
Author: hoydie17

So let me ask this? If you're kinda like me and drink occasionally, say a beer or two with dinner, or 3 or 4 one night with the guys and you have a "residual" reading in your blood the next day, what happens?

Obviously I don't want to tank up when I know I could be called any moment. But isn't there a ceiling that they go by, if you are over a certain concentration you're screened for dependence, and if it's below that it's disregarded?

I just assume it is, the military is generally far more stringent about drugs and alcohol use than the private sector is and we work by a similar guideline.

Sean

Date: 03/21/06 14:46
Author: mobileunit

alcohol is done with the blow test. Now the new hires are subjected to the hair follicle test at their initial hire session

Date: 03/21/06 15:40
Author: GaryL

Tony, good question! As you know, I don't work for a railroad, but my employer does use pre-employment and random after-hire drug screening. Supposedly the "hair" test will show results for the past 90 days, and a positive test is a positive test, no matter "when" you were using, or if you're currently high.

Date: 03/21/06 18:12
Author: ghemr

hoydie17 Wrote:
> So let me ask this? If you're kinda like me and
> drink occasionally, say a beer or two with dinner,
> or 3 or 4 one night with the guys and you have a
> "residual" reading in your blood the next day,
> what happens?
>
> Obviously I don't want to tank up when I know I
> could be called any moment. But isn't there a
> ceiling that they go by, if you are over a certain
> concentration you're screened for dependence, and
> if it's below that it's disregarded?
>
> I just assume it is, the military is generally far
> more stringent about drugs and alcohol use than
> the private sector is and we work by a similar
> guideline.
>
> Sean

On CSX, you better blow "all zeros". If the numbers are anything but zeros on the breathalyzer gauge, I believe they will retest you within 15 minutes. If you don't blow "all zeros" the second time, you are in violation of Rule G!! Therefore, make sure there isn't any chance of residual effects!!! If you are still hung over from the night before, chances are you still have alcohol in your system........

Date: 03/22/06 05:33
Author: JasonCNW

Has anyone heard of the rumor that suposidly if you eat poppy or sesame seeds they can give you a false positive on a drug screen. Is there any truth to that or is it just alot of BS,
Thank you.
JC

Date: 03/22/06 05:40

I believe Mythbusters found the poppie seed myth to be plausible.

With any railroad you cannot have anything in your system at the time of your test. If you think you will have redisual alcohol after 3 or 4 beers, it's best you not drink while on call. There is always Operation Redblock but, that is a last restort and should never be abused.

Date: 03/22/06 06:20
Author: hoydie17

So are you supposed to declare if you've taken cough medicines or anything prior to blowing? Or is that a violation of Rule G too? This just makes for interesting discussion, that's why I ask.

Sean

Date: 03/22/06 13:42
Poppy Seeds as False Drug Positives
Author: OnTrack419

"Opiates (morphine and codeine) can be detected in urine for at least 48 hours after one eats food containing poppy seeds. As little as a single bagel covered with poppy seeds could produce a false positive test for these drugs."

http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/poppyseed.asp

Just to be on the safe side, I make a daily note of the food, beverages and any medicines I ingest and when, and keep this list with my away receipts. I've yet to have a problem.

Date: 03/22/06 17:17
Author: csx4798

CSX_ENG Wrote:
> hoydie17 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So let me ask this? If you're kinda like me
> and
> > drink occasionally, say a beer or two with
> dinner,
> > or 3 or 4 one night with the guys and you have
> a
> > "residual" reading in your blood the next day,
> > what happens?
> >
> > Obviously I don't want to tank up when I know I
> > could be called any moment. But isn't there a
> > ceiling that they go by, if you are over a
> certain
> > concentration you're screened for dependence,
> and
> > if it's below that it's disregarded?
> >
> > I just assume it is, the military is generally
> far
> > more stringent about drugs and alcohol use than
> > the private sector is and we work by a similar
> > guideline.
> >
> > Sean
>
>
> On CSX, you better blow "all zeros". If the
> numbers are anything but zeros on the breathalyzer
> gauge, I believe they will retest you within 15
> minutes. If you don't blow "all zeros" the second
> time, you are in violation of Rule G!! Therefore,
> make sure there isn't any chance of residual
> effects!!! If you are still hung over from the
> night before, chances are you still have alcohol
> in your system........

If I'm gonna drink I mark off or put myself in a position where i'm not gonna get called like 15 times or more out. But we know how it is on csx you might not mark off in 6 months but you need a day off and mark off and two days later you have certified mail.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0806 seconds