Home Open Account Help 179 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CNJ Vets Association Memorial at Liberty State Park

Date: 08/08/07 16:48
CNJ Vets Association Memorial at Liberty State Park
Author: JimVT

I received the following email from Bob Hoeft, President of the CRRofNJ Veteran Employees Association, of which I am a member. I thought that various CNJ fans might find it interesting. Our association is large and quite active considering the size of the CNJ and the fact it's been gone since 1976.
JimVT
--

Between 10 AM and Noon on Tuesday, August 7, 2007, Burns Brothers, stone setters of Towaco, N.J. placed the Monument to all of the Employees of the Central Railroad of New Jersey, 1849 to 1976, between tracks 10 and 11 on the concourse at our former Jersey City Terminal at Liberty State Park.
The dedication ceremony will take place at 11 A.M., Thursday, September 20, 2007.
It is as attractive as we had expected. Our only disappointment is that the 'mile post' is in grey granite, rather than white, but it had previously been explained to us that this was necessary as the white would quickly deteriorate.
My thanks to Past President Sam Myers, who first conceived the monument and to our committee, consisting of Roger Brown, Len Falkowski, Secretary Jim Kukor and Treasurer 'Slim' LoGiudice and myself. I also want to include non-member Pete DeIasi, who brokered the deal with the quarry and the setters.
Not to be forgotten are the CNJ VETS members whose contributions made this endeavor possible.

There are several persons outside of the CNJ VETS that I must acknowledge as without their assistance, there would be no monument. In the order in which they joined us, they are:
Josh Osowski, Superintendent, Liberty State Park.
Mike Timpanaro, Historian, Liberty State Park.
Dorothy Guzzo, Administrator, New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.
Senator Barbara Buono, 18th Legislative District of New Jersey
(my special thanks to the Senator for giving a 'nudge' where needed)
Jose Hernandez, Director, New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry.

I will be approaching these friends of ours again for their much needed support to extend the single track from the New York Daily News plant at Caven Point to the Terminal. This will enable the placement of historic CRRofNJ equipment for preservation and restoration. Our GP-7 No. 1524 had been cosmetically restored (sans vandalism) and needs a new home. With the development of much of the Phillipsburg property which had previously been designated to be the New Jersey Transportation Museum, Liberty State Park would be the obvious location for this historic equipment, much of which spent many hours working there.

Thanks to you all.
Bob Hoeft, President

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0303 seconds