Two 'E's and four 'F's
Author: pennsy3750

The two 'E's should be pretty obvious.

The four 'F's are
Flaming
Fall
Foliage (Express)
Farwell, Pennsylvania

Last October when the E8s ran a foliage trip in conjuction with a parade in the old PRR shop town of Renovo, I decided that I could chase the outbound move to Renovo, then to the wye at Driftwood, and back to Renovo, and still make it back to State College in time for work.

The fruits of my labor are seen here. The two units had 14 cars (10 Amfleets, 4 PVs) well in hand cruising through Farwells, with a crowd of 15 or so railfans gathered to watch. Unfortunately, this shot was the only one I got before the clouds rolled in. I'll have to try and do better when the E8s return to the Buffalo Line in November.

Date: 08/08/07 18:34
Re: Two 'E's and four 'F's
Author: pennsy3750

I also shot the E8s at Fostoria, PA, back before it was cool ;)

NS 099 at Fostoria. 3:34pm, October 1, 2004.

It required missing a class to get trackside in time, but for E8s (and now, F9s) I can make an exception to my rule of not skipping class for railfanning. The E8s and two cars (this was before BL debuted his third PV) were en route to Altoona for display during Railfest. The plan was to turn on the loop at Gallitzin, return to Altoona, then back into ARMM via one of Altoona Pipe & Steel's sidings. I tried to beat him to Gallitzin, but I got smoked and ended up getting off the highway in Altoona and waiting there.

EDIT: Let's try it now that I actually attached the pic...

Date: 08/08/07 21:04
Author: chuchubob

Tuscarawas, Ohio; July 31, 2004

Date: 08/09/07 00:31
Author: 90mac

That is the most spotless and wrinkle free restored unit I have ever seen.
Thanks for posting.
TAH

Date: 08/09/07 01:24
Author: Red

90mac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is the most spotless and wrinkle free
> restored unit I have ever seen.
> Thanks for posting.
> TAH

Sorry...I do not have the web URL available...but if you Google the "Juanita Terminal E8s," there is a website that Bennet Levin has, with very detailed restoration photos of both of the units. I'm here to tell you...they went DEEP into this restoration. Lots of new metal...you name it...all while keeping everything "original" (that is to say, the units retain the as-built E8 control stands, but they have been torn down, meticulously restored, and put back together). Whole new body sections...the units had lost their portholes as Amtrak and Conrail units...Levin put the portholes back in.

To top it all off...here is what you do if you have the money to make units look as good as these, as Levin did: (1) good base primer coat, (2) three...yes...THREE coats of PRR Tuscan, with plenty of drying time between each coat, and, (3) finally, seal that off with TWO COATS of the highest grade clearcoat available. I suspect it will be a long time before these units need repainting!!!

Date: 08/09/07 06:24
Author: Gonut1

And above all they are garage kept!

gonut

Date: 08/09/07 07:08
Author: Red

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And above all they are garage kept!
>
> gonut

Yes indeed...between that and the quality of paint...these are well-preserved units. I betcha that they get waxed in the "garage" to boot!!! I've never seen a dirty shot of this pair of beauties.

As mentioned in related posts...Bennet Levin has two noses off ex-BN Commute E9s, and, several pairs of E9 trucks, extra control stand parts...you name it. He has prepared for every contingency, it seems!

Date: 08/09/07 16:13
Author: RustyRayls

Man, what a relief!!! For a minute there I thought that you had obtained one of my High School report cards!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0575 seconds