Home Open Account Help 220 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NW Ohio Flood/Rail Operations

Date: 08/23/07 17:37
NW Ohio Flood/Rail Operations
Author: CGTower

Just an update for those following this story.

CSX is still closed through both Ottawa and Findlay, Ohio. NS's Lima District is also out of service at Findlay. Some reports say that one bridge (unsure if it's CSX or NS) has been completely obliterated in Findlay leaving nothing but rails hanging above the water.

I&O is running trains south to Leipsic, Ohio and northward to Lima to accommodate customer needs. However, crews are commenting that they are running out of room to store cars (namely autoracks). The back log on the I&O is significant as crew are sticking auto racks all over the place to try to clear out yard space.

At Ottawa, the Blanchard River is still at 31.3 feet, 8.3 feet about flood stage. Water is at least 3 inches deep near the Ottawa depot and much, much deeper as you get near the bridge. Structurally, I have not heard what damage has been done to the former B&O bridge or the former DT&I thru-truss bridge on the Ottawa Loop.

Because they are still in rescue mode, travel into Ottawa is banned and my attempts to photograph anything foiled by the fact that I'd need a boat to see anything.

I'll say it again, it's bad...and for the 400 or some homes and families displaced, it's a nightmare.

CG Tower

Date: 08/23/07 18:25
Re: NW Ohio Flood/Rail Operations
Author: GrampaFrosty

Looks like a train just went south at Galatea on the Toledo Branch, as I type per ATCS. Maybe a work train?

Date: 08/23/07 18:48

Could be, IU dispatcher has been talking to several folks in and around the Findlay area. The water is dropping quickly it seems there. Watching the same thing here on ATCS.

CG Tower

GrampaFrosty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like a train just went south at Galatea on
> the Toledo Branch, as I type per ATCS. Maybe a
> work train?

Date: 08/23/07 19:22
Author: farmer

CSX bridge at Ottawa may have had some damage. Their is a concern of it being knocked off of the piers. No one will know until water recedes. From the look of the radar it may get worse before it gets better.

Date: 08/23/07 20:59

That was what I was fearing.

Roadmaster Wheeler is stationed at Ottawa. He didn't give any indication as to the bridge condition only to say that he had to stay up and watch the water roll over the tracks. I talked with a friend on the I&O and the Ottawa Loop is also out of service and they are unsure of the condition of their bridge either, however, I believe it is a bit higher then the CSX line.

Thanks for the update...more rain coming in as I type.

CG Tower

farmer Wrote:
> CSX bridge at Ottawa may have had some damage.
> Their is a concern of it being knocked off of the
> piers. No one will know until water recedes. From
> the look of the radar it may get worse before it
> gets better.

Date: 08/24/07 05:00
Author: PowellWye

Some CSX detour trains are now operating via Russell/Columbus/Fostoria. Rack train R272 just arrived in Columbus from Russell and R339 is there too. I suspect Marion is getting bogged down due to the configuration of the connection there.

Columbus Radio Feed - http://www.railroadradio.net/content/view/123/173/

Date: 08/24/07 08:32

Has D743 been north lately? Just checked ATCS and something is headed NB through Cairo and lined out the N end. Was any part of the Ottawa siding under water? Wondering if there would have been enough room to run around their train there...

Date: 08/24/07 09:24

You mean D743?

Yes, plenty of room at Ottawa to run around. None of the interlocking or siding is effected by the flood waters.

CG Tower

GrampaFrosty Wrote:
> Has Q743 been north lately? Just checked ATCS and
> something is headed NB through Cairo and lined out
> the N end. Was any part of the Ottawa siding
> under water? Wondering if there would have been
> enough room to run around their train there...

Date: 08/24/07 09:45

CGTower Wrote:
> You mean D743?
>
> Yes, plenty of room at Ottawa to run around. None
> of the interlocking or siding is effected by the
> flood waters.
>
> CG Tower
>
OOPS corrected

AND it was D743 coming N at Leipsic as I type and one lined around the SE wye at Hoytville too. That's a good sign!

EDIT

Q231 headed SB in the Wye as I type

Date: 08/24/07 10:41
Author: howeld

Thats good to hear about 231 maybe I will see him before I leave work. So far today at Wapak a southbound passed by around 6:40a and the local before noon.
Derek

Date: 08/24/07 11:52

Good signs! Guess we're back in business!

CG Tower (at work at the university)

howeld Wrote:
> Thats good to hear about 231 maybe I will see him
> before I leave work. So far today at Wapak a
> southbound passed by around 6:40a and the local
> before noon.
> Derek

Date: 08/24/07 13:56
Q231

Sounded like they had to hold up before coming into Ottawa. Something about a signal maintainer called the AR on/about an emergency in town. My guess is that a crossing had a problem, go figure. Sounded like they were delayed only a short ( <30 min. ) time. ATCS has had a handful of trains up/down the Toledo Sub today. There is one more round of rain then we should be back to normal.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/iwx/

Time will tell but it looks like CSX dodged a bullet. Those 100 year floods can be a bear. Too bad we won't be here to see the next one... Hopefully! Too much destruction for the good folks from that area!

Date: 08/24/07 14:03
Re: Q257
Author: toledopatch

A Q257 went down the Tomato Branch this afternoon, too.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0699 seconds