Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > DAK Americas Plant Wilmington, NC

Date: 01/18/09 22:30
DAK Americas Plant Wilmington, NC
Author: sd60m

Does anyone know how much rail traffic the DAK Americas Plant in Wilmington (Leland), NC generates? What type of materials and products are transported??

Thanks for any kind response

Date: 01/19/09 04:50
Re: DAK Americas Plant Wilmington, NC
Author: ChrisA.

I have to correct myself,you were talking about the old dupont plant,the one I am thinking of is the one described below,sorry bout that!That's the old Celenese industries(Fortron)I believe they produce polyester resins and such,there are always quite a few cars either in the plant or across the street in a holding track,they also have at least 1 of their own switcher

Date: 01/19/09 07:06

Thanks...when did DuPont sell that plant...if you know.

Date: 01/19/09 09:08
Author: Winks

I think this is their switcher. Is this the facility that is north on the road where you turn into the battleship?

Date: 01/19/09 09:19
Author: conraildanpswr

I will get the chance to railfan that line soon, since im reenlisting in the marines, i will be stationed an hour from there soon enough.

Date: 01/19/09 10:03

Thanks...my mother worked there when that plant first opened...then, it was EI DuPont. I am pretty sure we are talking about the same facility...just North of the CSX yard.

3500 Daniels Rd NE
Leland, NC , 28451
Phone: 910-371-4000
FAX: 910-371-4222

Date: 01/19/09 11:44
Author: radioman2

Never seen an EMD SW with Alco trucks like that,it looks very odd.

Date: 01/19/09 16:05
Author: Daveb

DuPont sold the plant about 7 years ago.

Date: 01/19/09 16:12

The dupont plant is in Leland,a completely different complex and yes it was sold some years ago,this plant is north of the battleship on Hwy 421,they used to have a Laurinberg&Southern switcher

Date: 01/19/09 16:25

ChrisA...I am getting confused...but, as I remember it...North of the Battleship...along US421...actually about the last thing you pass on the right as you head North on 421 is the "old" Hercules Chemicals plant. I don't know what it is called today...but, that's what it was years ago...and they did have a switcher...as I recall back in the 70s. Actually, I just looked at a satellite view of that place...and...it looks like it is just about gone...with another facility just South of it...is that the one you're typing about?

I think Hercules and DuPont were two of the "big industries" that located to Wilmington in its "heyday of industrialization" sometime back in the late 60s and early 70s...though I am not totally positive about the dates.

To further identify what we're typing about...Queensboro Steel had a facility basically across the highway from this plant...and...the Sutton Power Plant...now Progress Energy (I think) was also relatively close by.

Are you typing of the old Hercules location?

Date: 01/19/09 17:06

I corrected myself in my first post,Dupont was in Leland near the CSX Davis Yard,the plant with the above switcher is up 421 past the battleship,past queensboro steel and 3 or so miles up the road on the right.I am the one who was confused,I'm sorry,,,,

Date: 01/19/09 18:14

Okay...just narrowing it down one last time...is that the one in the immediate vicinity of Cowpen Landing Road?

Date: 01/19/09 18:35

Yes,thats right across the street,the holding tracks are at the end of Cowpen landing road

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0484 seconds