Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Day 1 on the Vermont Rail System

Date: 02/13/09 17:41
Day 1 on the Vermont Rail System
Author: KevinB

With a long weekend off and forecast nice weather all over New England, I decided to head out and give the previously submerged Nikon D200 a good test run. I opted to spend some time on the Vermont Rail System and headed to Rutland, Vermont, late Thursday night. After attempting to plot out a course that would give me as much opportunity to cover the VRS as possible - my plans for Friday were to head south with the B&R Extra train to Bennington - south from Rutland. As I awoke this morning, the B&R Extra was preparing to head south with the VTR GP40-2 308. A period of snow and ice had overtaken the area late last night and 'chasing' anything Friday morning was nearly impossible as the roads were downright trecherous. I opted to stick it out a little longer in Rutland and see what train 263 (Rutland to Bellows Falls, VT) was going to make its eastbound run with. As I checked the yard, GMRC GP40 304 and VTR GP40-3 312 were going on duty as the RDSW (Rutland Switcher) <photo 1>

The 263 train was being set up to go east with VTR GP38 205, leased Providence & Worcester GP40 3001, and VTR GP40-2LW 310. A VTR employee is clearing out the switch points as the 263 power idles away while awaiting the crew to come on duty at the Rutland Yard. <photo 2>

After finishing the Rutland work, VRS 263 heads east for Bellows Falls as the power prepares to cross Rt. 103 in East Clarendon, VT. <photo 3>

Date: 02/13/09 17:54
Re: Day 1 on the Vermont Rail System

With the sun still forecast to shine today - the early morning bitter cold was retained by the overcast skies. The 263 train is seen kicking up some of the fresh snow from Thursday night as it heads for the Rt. 103 grade crossing just before leaving East Clarendon and entering Cuttingsville. <photo 1>

The colorful trio of locomotives is seen pushing snow from the railheads and showering it beneath the trestle as the 263 heads over the Cuttingsville Trestle. <photo 2>

And as the train climbs towards Summit, VT, the fresh coating of snow appears to have stuck to every tree branch and bush along the Bellows Falls Subdivision. <photo 3>

Date: 02/13/09 18:02

The 263 crests the grade at Summit, VT. <photo 1>

Then is seen passing through the Okemo Ski Resort. <photo 2>

Before passing beneath Rt. 103 at Gassetts, VT. <photo 3>

Date: 02/13/09 18:03
Author: webmaster

Kevin I suggest you stay away from the white stuff around the bridge with water running under it.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 02/13/09 18:05

Thanks Todd - that was a bit scary for a few minutes...I sank in snow up to my waist and hoped that's where I'd stop. And I did...but not before I gave the ticker another good exercise! No close calls today!

Kevin B.

Date: 02/13/09 18:08

Train is then seen passing mile 16 at Gassetts about ready to cross into Chester, VT - with the old B&M style crossing marker located trackside. <photo 1>

The 263 then rumbles the local hardware store and Chester Depot as it heads through the town of Chester Depot, VT. <photo 2>

Just south of Chester - near Bartonsville, the 263 power is contrasted against the background and foreground snow. <photo 3>

Date: 02/13/09 18:15

And the final Day 1 samplings... The return train 264 is seen passing through Bartonsville with the elderly bridge build date of 1898 clearly visible above the VRS power (and leased P&W motor). <photo 1>

Final light of day at 16:35 hours - the 264 train rolls through Cavendish at the site of the former Depot in town. <photo 2>

Check back through Monday for the next installments of my Valentines Day weekend adventure!

Kevin B.

Date: 02/13/09 19:50
Author: coosbaytoday

Great pictures Kevin.
Thanks for sharing.
Todd Montgomery

Date: 02/13/09 20:20
Author: DublinDistrict

I really like #6, and depots (#11) are always good in my book.

Date: 02/14/09 06:30
Where these shot with the "underwater D200?"
Author: Cameraman

Where these shot with the "underwater D200?"

Seriously, I want to know if the camera is working fine?

Date: 02/14/09 14:57
Re: Where these shot with the "underwater D200?"

Tis the sunken D200 and it is working fine. I've had the D300 out a few times this weekend - but the majority of images were from the workout I gave to the D200! Outstanding camera...

Kevin B.

Date: 02/14/09 16:33
Author: stlrailfan

Kevin,

Great stuff as we have come to expect from you!! look forward to getting some shots like these myself in june 2009.Thanks for sharing.
Mark Mautner

Date: 02/14/09 18:28
Author: RS11

Kevin...excellent material as always. I sure wish you had been around and captured the Calais Branch back in the day. Thanks.

Date: 02/15/09 18:29
Author: edbac333

Excellent winter scenery as well as train shots.Good work!!

Date: 02/16/09 10:33
Author: toledopatch

stlrailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> look forward to getting some shots like these
> myself in june 2009.Thanks for sharing.

Ha. You overestimate how cold it is in Vermont if you think you'll get snow shots in June. ;)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0757 seconds