Home Open Account Help 172 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Stored locomotives on CSX & NS


Date: 02/22/09 10:49
Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: B36-7

If this has already been discussed earlier I apologize. Just curious on how many locomotives the big 2 in the east have across their system that are stored serviceable & non-serviceable. What yards or locations are most located. There has been quite a few photos & discussion on the western board & on different photo sites regarding UP & BNSF but not much on CSX & NS. One would think with many of these locomotives @ the end of their careers this may be the final chapter in working a class I. Thanks.



Date: 02/22/09 12:57
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: NSDash9

NS has the following units stored at locations throughout its system:

1 - EMD GP38
30 - EMD GP38AC
10 - EMD GP50
2 - EMD GP59 (1 has wreck damage)
2 - EMD SW1001
16 - EMD SW1500
9 - EMD MP15DC
2 - EMD SD9M
2 - EMD SD38
14 - EMD SD40
4 - EMD SD40-2's (1 has fire damage)
9 - EMD SD60 (2 have wreck damage)
1 - EMD SD60M
1 - EMD SD60I
3 - EMD SD80MAC
23 - GE C39-8E
58 - GE Dash 8-40C
36 - GE Dash 9-40C
5 - RP-E4U Slug

228 = TOTAL

Specific unit numbers of those stored can be found listed on the rosters on my website:

http://www.nsdash9.com/roster.html


Chris Toth
NSDash9.com



Date: 02/22/09 16:47
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: beavis

Does NS have a bunch of rent-a-wrecks stored in Chatt?



Date: 02/22/09 16:55
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: NSDash9

NS is storing locomotives for both Helm and CIT at Chattanooga and Altoona.


Chris Toth
url=http://www.nsdash9.com]NSDash9.com[/url]



Date: 02/22/09 16:56
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: beavis

Do they make money for this or is NS paying a lease on them now?



Date: 02/22/09 16:58
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: NSDash9

The locomotives are not being leased by NS. The owners pay a storage fee to NS for storing them.


Chris Toth
NSDash9.com



Date: 02/22/09 17:07
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: beavis

Well I saw a bunch there the other day and was just wondering. Thanks for the info!



Date: 02/22/09 17:18
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: mderrick

Thank you to Chris for the nice NS breakdown. While I don't have nearly as solid a rundown for CSX, I can tell you that there are approximately 600 units in storage, not including leasers that CSX is storing for other parties. Types are quite varied and include about anything, though SD40-2s make up a decent chunk.

Mike Derrick
http://www.shortlinesusa.com



Date: 02/22/09 17:56
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: Robbman

NSDash9 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NS is storing locomotives for both Helm and CIT at
> Chattanooga and Altoona.


Roanoke as well...



Date: 02/22/09 18:03
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: B36-7

mderrick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you to Chris for the nice NS breakdown.
> While I don't have nearly as solid a rundown for
> CSX, I can tell you that there are approximately
> 600 units in storage, not including leasers that
> CSX is storing for other parties. Types are quite
> varied and include about anything, though SD40-2s
> make up a decent chunk.
>
> Mike Derrick
> http://www.shortlinesusa.com

That is scary! Thanks for responding & Chris Toth as well.



Date: 02/22/09 18:09
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: mully

Chris

Do you know the numbers of the units that have wreck damage?


Gary



Date: 02/22/09 18:26
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: NSDash9

mully Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chris
>
> Do you know the numbers of the units that have
> wreck damage?

NS 4622, 6593 and 6653. All three were wrecked in the Graniteville, SC derailment in January 2005.


Chris Toth
NSDash9.com



Date: 02/22/09 18:41
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: challenger604

Could someone describe what exactly the process is for storing a locomotive? Does that mean it's just parked, shut down and covered up to be used later? Or does it mean the unit may possibly be retired in the near future?



Date: 02/22/09 18:42
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: mully

Thanks Chris none of those are in my photo database....What about the Sd40-2 with fire damage?

Gary



Date: 02/22/09 18:48
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: NSDash9

mully Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Chris none of those are in my photo
> database....What about the Sd40-2 with fire
> damage?

NS 3284.


Chris
NSDash9.com



Date: 02/22/09 19:14
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: mully

Thanks Chris I don't have that one either.

Gary



Date: 02/22/09 20:48
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: wmfan3798

I wonder how much of a coincidence it is that two of the SD80MACs NS has stored were the last two in Conrail paint. Hmmmmm

ernie



Date: 02/22/09 21:44
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: NSDash9

wmfan3798 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder how much of a coincidence it is that two
> of the SD80MACs NS has stored were the last two in
> Conrail paint.

NS 7208 has already been repainted and the 7205 is also slated for repainting while its at Altoona.


Chris Toth
NSDash9.com



Date: 02/22/09 23:58
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: ef-36

> > Do you know the numbers of the units that have
> > wreck damage?
>
> NS 4622, 6593 and 6653. All three were wrecked in
> the Graniteville, SC derailment in January 2005.
>
>
> Chris Toth
> NSDash9.com

Hopefully the revem up rodgers & the bouncing betty get scrapped.
CSX Queensgate has a bunch of rent a wrecks stored.



Date: 02/23/09 10:54
Re: Stored locomotives on CSX & NS
Author: esprrfan

Robbman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NSDash9 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > NS is storing locomotives for both Helm and CIT
> at
> > Chattanooga and Altoona.
>
>
> Roanoke as well...

6-8 stored at Elkhart too



[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1065 seconds