Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Dogs & Railroading...

Date: 11/24/09 14:39
Dogs & Railroading...
Author: ut-1

Well, guess this doesn't fit under any of the categories so pardon if this is viewed as frivolous & off topic.... Obviously, I'm interested in railroading. And dogs. My dog comes to work with me every day. The office is located near the Utica (NY) branch line of the NYS&W. Anyhow, over the years my dog's used to me getting up to look out the window at any passing freights. He also checks out all NYS&W action(even when I'm not present) by rousing himself to look out the window. While watching today's Trainorders featured video, my dog heard the train horn, got up & looked out towards the tracks. Thought it was funny. Anyone else care to share any "railroading & dogs" stories? Or would our site "go to the dogs" if we did so?

Date: 11/24/09 14:43
Re: Dogs & Railroading...
Author: retcsxcfm

Don't have a dog,only a cat and he is too lazy to do anything.

Uncle Joe

Date: 11/24/09 14:54
Author: rbx551985

My first year on the Red Unit Circus Train (1985) found a curious DOG, a dalmation named "Jamaica," who was owned by that year's Pie Car manager. Jamaica was so attuned to railroading, that when we were stopped in the middle of "nowhere" for meets with freight trains, and had stepped down (or for ANY such stop-reason), she could hear the train's airline hissing (filling with air to release the brakes) and would immediately jump onto the open vestibule, turn back to us, and would begin barking for all of us to re-board: known instinctively that we were about to move on out. Now, that's a TRAINED dog!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/09 14:55 by rbx551985.

Date: 11/24/09 15:25
Author: scoobydoobydoo

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUU Did someone mention DOGS !!! Scoobydoobydooo

Date: 11/24/09 16:54
Author: steamfan

sdp35 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't have a dog,only a cat and he is too lazy to
> do anything.
>
> Uncle Joe

My cat enjoys viewing photo's, and will hit the keyboard to see what happens next. Inquisitive, at best... When he learns to type better, I'll set up an account for him.

John R -- CP Spring
Carlisle, PA

Date: 11/24/09 17:13
Author: zars

My cat will notice when a train passes by. He must prefer locomotives, as he usually loses interest after they go by.

Date: 11/25/09 06:28
Author: galenadiv

Those of you of a certain age will remember a favorite children's book called "The Fast Sooner Hound." The dog belonged to a boomer fireman and he'd sooner run than eat. It's a great story and the book is probably still out there.

Date: 11/25/09 16:16
Author: Mgoldman

If you lived in France, you could take your dog ON the train - and I'm not talking
seeing eye dog nor baggage. 'Least this dog and owner made it seem so.

Wouldn't this make a great Photo of the Day?
The image is reminiscent of the cover story on Pullman from "Classic Trains"
Summer, 2008.

/Mitch

Date: 11/25/09 16:46
Author: tq-07fan

My first cat would ride in the top of my grandma's (used) camper and move to one window or the other to look at trains and railroad signals I'd point out. When we were coming across the Ambassador Bridge into Detroit I got excited at seeing the NS car float and I guess so did Betsy the Cat because she stayed on the right hand side of the camper. When we got to the US Customs agent asked the standard questions then noticed the cat and she went ballistic, accusing us of having stolen the cat during our two hour visit to Canada. Luckily this was in 1987 so we were eventually allowed to go, along with our rail enthusiast cat.

Jim

Date: 11/25/09 21:30
Author: Erik

I take my dog Lucy rail-fanning with me all the time. She loves it, not for the trains, for the car ride.

I live near Chicago and see lots of switching maneuvers. Even if we are parked close to the ROW, Lucy will ignore all rolling stock except the engines. Whenever the motive power comes close to us she sits up and tilts her head, watching intently. It must be the deep vibrations or something.

Here is my pooch.

Date: 11/26/09 06:05
Author: ut-1

Mgoldman: Your picture had my vote for image of the day!

Erik: Wild ears!

Thanks to all who replied to this unorthodox thread (even the cat owners in our midst!).

Date: 11/26/09 11:21
Author: wabash2800

Too bad that French pooch can't stick his head out the window as they love to do that in the automobile. He probably slobbered all over the glass. LOL (Actually, for those not in the know, dogs cool themselves by cooling their tongues whether it be with water or an airstream.)

Date: 11/26/09 11:25
Author: wabash2800

What is it about Canadian customs folks? Everyone seems to have problems with them especially at that location.

Cats enjoy seeing moving objects--its probably part of their hunting instinct. Ever notice that some enjoy watching TV or cartoons in particular for that reason?

tq-07fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > When we got to the US Customs agent asked the
> standard questions then noticed the cat and she
> went ballistic, accusing us of having stolen the
> cat during our two hour visit to Canada. Luckily
> this was in 1987 so we were eventually allowed to
> go, along with our rail enthusiast cat.
>
> Jim

Date: 11/26/09 17:57
Author: hoydie17

I usually take my dog trackside with me, that is when I can actually find the time to go anymore.

Interestingly, when he was a puppy, I had left him at my parents' place in Northern NY while I was gone to Korea for a business trip. He'd managed to squirt out the door while my Mom was talking to a neighbor. Perfect timing as there was a train just passing through on the CSX main in Norwood, and he heard the horn and took off like a gunshot for the tracks about a mile away.

My Mom was in panic as she was afraid she might not find him, but low and behold, she pulled up to the grade crossing where the head-end was stopped and the engineer of the train (friend of the family) had him in the cab with him. He'd recognized Dunkin from previous encounters, and called him into the cab figuring either my Mom or myself would show up to claim him. He told me later that he'd have just kept him on the engine and brought him back home with him had nobody shown up before he had to move the train.

We surmised that Dunkin heard the horn, and he guessed that I would be wherever the train was and thought he would find me there. According to the engineer, he said Dunkin was just sitting down next to the tracks, apparently resigned to the idea that I wasn't there, or that I might show up.

To this day, that dog still loves to go near the tracks and bark at the wheels of the passing trains for all the noise they make.

Date: 11/26/09 19:25
Author: SilverSky

Speaking of railroading and dogs (both of which I enjoy greatly), I submit this slide which encompasses both from over thirty years ago:

Seven of the local canines gather at the kitchen door of Chihuahua Pacific diner-lounge-observation 605, former FW&D "Silver Tray", at San Rafael, Chihuahua, on 12-10-76. Obviously this had become a ritual between the kitchen staff and the dogs when the "Vista Train" pulled into town. "Silver Tray" was built by the Budd Company for the FW&D in 1940 as a 32-seat diner, 23-seat lounge as part of their contribution for the Texas Zephyr. The "boys" could care less about the history of the car but they sure seem to enjoy the scraps that the crew generously and regularly gave to them.

Silver Sky

Date: 11/26/09 19:58
Author: Jimmies

The story reads that the incident happened at U.S. Customs, not Canadian Customs.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.085 seconds