Home Open Account Help 206 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > New motive power for Colebrookdale Line in Boyertown

Date: 09/13/10 19:41
New motive power for Colebrookdale Line in Boyertown
Author: ReadingT-1

Here are shots of the new motive power for the line. Its great to see green and yellow on the former Reading branch. Also while down there, noticed they are clearing the tracks that go up to the Boyertown foundry plant, hopefully they will be a new customer to the line. Lets all hope that they put the tracks back in up to the quarry, then there would be more traffic for the shortline, and also that means walmart loses the battle!

Date: 09/13/10 19:51
Re: New motive power for Colebrookdale Line in Boyertow
Author: spinecar

ESPEE LIVES!!!!!!!!!!1

Date: 09/13/10 22:25
Author: pdt

This line has been abandoned and un-abandoned more times than I can
count. Seems like it was less than a year ago that it was deemed
officially dead, and going to become a trail. I guess someone finally
figured that tax revenue and jobs are more important than a rail-trail.
Or else someone got wind of how many heavy trucks would come thru town without
the RR. It's a cool little line...I hope it survives....

Date: 09/14/10 07:02
Author: mderrick

Who is the operator of this line now? East Penn is out, correct? In today's world of leased locos, it's hard to tell sometimes! Appreciate the photo and any further information.

Mike Derrick
http://www.shortlinesusa.com

Date: 09/14/10 16:56
Author: dreese_us

This from THE MERCURY

READING — The Colebrookdale Spur will soon see freight on its rails again thanks to a lease recently signed between the Berks County Commissioners and Eastern Berks Gateway Railroad of Boyertown.

The lease, approved by the commissioners Sept. 2, became effective Sept. 9. Testing and technical inspections of the line have already begun, although commercial operations are not set to begin before Wednesday.

Needed before commercial operations can begin on the rail line are repairs to the track at East Philadelphia Avenue. The county has contracted to have those repairs made and construction is expected to begin immediately.

According to John K. Howell, president of U.S. Rail Partners of Illinois, the parent company of Eastern Berks Gateway Railroad, the company's focus will be economic development and the development of rail freight traffic in the Boyertown and Pottstown areas.

"We are going to work closely with county and local economic development officials to begin shipping rail again. We look forward to serving local businesses," Howell said.

The Berks County Redevelopment Authority recently began proceeding with plans to build a transloading facility near South Reading Avenue in Boyertown. The transloading facility will allow freight to be transferred between rail cars and trucks.

According to estimates, 70 truckloads of ash a day are hauled from incinerators in Chester County to the Rolling Hills Landfill in Earl Township, that according to Kenneth L. Pick, Redevelopment Authority Executive Director.

The ash is used to cover trash being dumped at the landfill, and the rail line is expected to decrease truck traffic through the Boyertown area.

The transloading project is expected to cost at least $700,000. The redevelopment agency has applied for a $250,000 state grant to help cover the costs of building the facility, and Howell said he is in discussions with Boyertown officials to lease the property for the transloading facility, which is expected to bring 10 to 15 jobs to the area.

The redevelopment agency has also hired Liberty Environmental Inc. of Reading at a cost of $6,000 to determine if the Boyertown property qualifies for brownfields redevelopment funds.

According to the five-year lease, the county will gradually shift certain operating costs to the railroad, with the railroad paying an increasingly larger percentage of bridge inspection costs by the end of the lease term.

Rent in the amount of $4,125 will be paid to the county if the railroad generates more than $15,000 in revenue in any quarter. The money will go into a special fund to be used for future repairs to the line.

The first user of the line is expected to be Drug Plastics & Glass Co. Inc. of Boyertown, who was using the line when the line was sold to the county in March of 2009.

Along with Drug Plastics, Howell said two other local businesses have expressed interest in using the line.

The county first bought the Colebrookdale Spur from the state for $155,000 in March 2001. They later sold it Penn Eastern Lines Inc. for $177,000. Penn Eastern then sold it to East Penn Railroad, which planned to abandon the line and sell the rail for scrap.

The county negotiated to buy back the line n March 2009 for $1.35 million.

The historic rail line was built in the mid-1800s and was completed in 1869. It passes through portions of both Montgomery and Berks counties.

Date: 09/14/10 17:30
Author: HB90MACH

Does that mean loads of ash will now be on the Coatesville Local? When I worked on that walmart, the prints clearly showed the RR grade must be maintained for future use. They could not encroach on the row either. Walmart is playing big bully even though they have no right to that row. The virginville project is the same way. we have to restore the grade at the RR crossing.

That makes for a nice chase as well. Especially in that paint. Will it stay that way or be repainted?

Shane

Date: 09/14/10 17:31

When did that sneak in on NS?

Date: 09/14/10 20:28
Author: DeutzHDL

HB90MACH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does that mean loads of ash will now be on the
> Coatesville Local? When I worked on that
> walmart, the prints clearly showed the RR grade
> must be maintained for future use. They could
> not encroach on the row either. Walmart is
> playing big bully even though they have no right
> to that row. The virginville project is the same
> way. we have to restore the grade at the RR
> crossing.
>
> That makes for a nice chase as well. Especially
> in that paint. Will it stay that way or be
> repainted?

Since there are still some questions floating around I will answer them. I am involved with USRP the operators of this line. The ash deal is still in the works but could mean 40 car trains the last time I talked with USRP's president Mr. Howell. The NIWX loco with stay in its CNW colors as John is a huge fan and previous member of IRM. NIWX (Northern Illinois & Wisconsin) is a separate locomotive leasing arm of his. USRP operates two other shortlines currently with the Colebrookdale line still being started up.

Brett

Date: 09/15/10 09:31
Author: mderrick

I could see where U.S. Rail Partners could easily be confused with U.S. Rail Corporation of Ohio, that is now the operator of the Salem Branch in southern New Jersey. Two completely different companies. Thank you for the information, and hope that this operation will be a success for USRP.

Mike Derrick
http://www.shortlinesusa.com

Date: 09/15/10 09:56

Thank you Brett.

At 40 car trains for ash, sounds like NS might handle that as a unit train. Even if it is only once a week or every other week. Also sounds like USRP is going to need a few more horseys than that 1500 can put out to move that train on the line. Hope you guys get that contract. And of course a few others, like the quarry. Sounds like that might be in the works to.

Date: 09/15/10 10:05

Looking at a map, looks like you would be offloading that ash, not loading. Rolling Hills Landfill is only about 10 miles from Boyertown close to where 662 and 73 meet. For those not aware of where the landfill was.

Where are they loaded then? A couple of RR could be the possible site.

Shane

Date: 09/15/10 21:47
Author: DeutzHDL

The quarry deal is still in the works. Nothing much more I can talk about there. No I told you right. The ash would go to somewhere in NJ at last talk. Yes the idea of NS handling the blocks as their own train has come to the table. This should be a great little operation once we get it running full tilt. I may end up spending some time out that way.

Date: 09/18/10 16:02
Author: nhiwwrr

I still cannot fathom the breakdown of the deal that was this final purchase.

County originally bought the RR for $155k, sells it to East Penn's original owner for $177K... East Penn's new owner threatens abandonment and suddenly the property jumps in value to $1.3 million???

Thats quite a jump in value in just 8 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/10 16:02 by nhiwwrr.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1002 seconds