Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Decades-old switcher based at Alabama mill

Date: 11/25/10 16:46
Decades-old switcher based at Alabama mill
Author: JoCoLB

While visiting relatives at Pinckard, Ala., this past weekend, I spotted a decades-old diesel-powered switch engine assigned to a grain mill just north of town. Thought some of the TO members might know the full history on this old workhorse of an engine, which apparently is owned by a Georgia company. The manufacturer's plate was missing from the engine.

Date: 11/25/10 16:52
Re: Decades-old switcher based at Alabama mill
Author: JoCoLB

Two more pictures from Pinckard, Ala., which is just a few miles from Dothan. The industrial spur leading to the grain mill is served by the CSX.

Date: 11/25/10 19:35
Author: highgreengraphics

That's some heavily modified Alco! I would guess with the Blunt trucks that it started out as an S-1 or S-2, and now has a different prime mover. Looks like even those trucks are heavily modified to accept roller bearings. - - - - JLH

Date: 11/26/10 18:48
Author: PHall

It's an Alco S-2 that has been re-engined with a truck engine. Fairly common thing for industry owned units.
They can be shut down and restarted much easier then a normal Alco 539 engine.
And they use much less fuel too!

Date: 11/26/10 19:25
Author: Lackawanna484

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's an Alco S-2 that has been re-engined with a
> truck engine. Fairly common thing for industry
> owned units.
> They can be shut down and restarted much easier
> then a normal Alco 539 engine.
> And they use much less fuel too!

Thanks for the info.

The engine is part of Gold Kist cooperative, which is a farmer owned agricultural company. It's the second largest producer of chickens in the US.

The company operates a series of grain mills in the southeast to service their chicken business. The company has a small fleet of older rebuilt switchers, and I believe it also owns a few track mobiles, etc. Pinckard is a relatively new mill.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0653 seconds