Eastern Railroad Discussion > Sidney, OH. NYC (Big Four) depot

Date: 03/17/11 11:27
Sidney, OH. NYC (Big Four) depot
Author: DWBrown

OH. NYC (Big Four) depot OPEN HOUSE
Saturday, June 11 · 10:00am - 12:00pm

New Face book page for Western Central Ohio Model Railroad Club:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_208832235800804
The Sidney Big Four depot will be open to the public. This is to let the residents of Sidney know about the depot and its status. The Miami Valley railfans will be having their June meeting here also.

The organization is still called a Model Railroad Club, however last year the model layout was dismantled. The group is struggling to keep the station open and need new members. If the organization does not get some new revenue from donations or members the station lease will be returned to CSX. It is certain that CSX will work quickly to demolish the station. The Western Central Club has tried to get a negotiated possible option to buy the station. However CSX has asked the brick station be moved 30 feet back from the rail line.

Over the years the Miami Valley Railfans have held a annual picnic at the station and after June the club may have to terminate the lease. Anyone who can help is encouraged to send in a simple membership for associate members. Also donations at the open house will be accepted. This is one of the last Big Four depots still intact along the former mainline from Columbus to Indianapolis.

Dale Brown

Date: 03/17/11 17:51
Re: Sidney, OH. NYC (Big Four) depot
Author: P

Any info for those of us not on Facebook? - which I presume to be many of us.

Date: 03/17/11 18:30
Author: cutboy2

Another great depot. Needs City attention. And the county. Maybe Chamber of Commerce.

Date: 03/17/11 19:01
Author: DoctorThunder

Problem with that is it really does the city no good, it's WAY out of the way and not on any major roads at all and no where near downtown.

It deserves to be preserved as a great place for railfans though.

Date: 03/18/11 11:53
Author: DWBrown

Sorry they do not have a webpage. The information on the open house is the only schedule that I have. Once I get some more information on membership or where to donate, I will try to post it. There is only about 12 members of the club left and as one other has posted, it is somewhat isolated in Sidney away from the main streets. The City would like to be involved, however they too like other municipalities have other budget constraints. It might be that more historical locations will be lost because taxpayers are feed up with higher taxes and low tax income for smaller cities.

Dale Brown

Date: 03/19/11 14:23
Author: howeld

Here is a photo of the Depot when it was in use. Photo taken of a photo.

Date: 03/19/11 14:58
Author: DoctorThunder

Wow, amazing how many trees are in that area now compared to when that photo was taken!

Date: 03/19/11 17:46
Author: howeld

MagnumForce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, amazing how many trees are in that area now
> compared to when that photo was taken!

I know it is amazing how fast things change. I've been a member of the club at this depot for 8-9 years and I haven't take many photos of the building here is the best I can find.

1. South side looking NW at depot as Q108 races past
2. Pedestrian bridge looking east. First bridge abutments is the CSX Toledo Sub that passes under the line with the connection track visible The concrete at the edge of the tracks beyond the signals and the connection track is the Big Four Bridge.
3. Big Four Bridge in Sidney.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/11 17:51 by howeld.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds