Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Ex-Oakways transformed to GMTX for P&W...

Date: 07/25/11 09:49
Ex-Oakways transformed to GMTX for P&W...
Author: KevinB

The pair of GMTX overhauled SD60s enroute to the Providence & Worcester Railroad arrived in White River Jct., VT this morning on NECR train 324. The units - former Oakway SD60s 9014 and 9059 (frame # 867150-15 and 867150-60) received a variety of modifications at VMV-Paducah. Of note are either new or rebuilt control stands, new electronics, interior paint for cab, relocation of the horns for Northeast Corridor/MNCR Catenary clearance, installation of cab signals and locomotive speed limiter (LSL) equipment and a few other pipe replacements for air and water. The prime movers are very clean as well, but apparently no major overhaul on the them. Interestingly, the seats were NOT replaced and still are tattered and torn...

<Photo 1> Just before the rain moved in a mile-wide 'sucker hole' cooperated nicely...

<Photo 2> GMTX 9014 sans cab signal box but with the LSL light visible...

<Photo 3> GMTX 9059 cab signal box and LSL visible...

Date: 07/25/11 09:52
Re: Ex-Oakways transformed to GMTX for P&W...

<Photo 4> Nice K3LA horns face rearward directly above the unreplaced engineer seat...

<Photo 5> The cab profile of the 9014 sans cab signal box...

<Photo 6> The 9059 WITH cab signal box. LSL light visible on rear cab step at base.

Date: 07/25/11 10:22
Author: Out_Of_Service

Kevin are they on lease or purchased by P&W ... it'd be waste to repaint an already nice new paint job albeit not in P&W paint scheme ... and WOW are the engineers gonna get an earful with the placement of those right over the cab ... i understand the clearance issue but i have to ask ... why there ???

Date: 07/25/11 10:24
Author: mully

Nice lookin!!

Gary

Date: 07/25/11 10:26

Supposed to be long-term leased for a relatively low daily amount (especially since GATX owns large stake in the P&W!). I would have thought perhaps putting them on the end of the long hood - similar to some of the Amtrak and MNCR hood units/maintenance fleet. Guess not... BOSE Noise Deadening headsets here we come!

Date: 07/25/11 12:07
Author: bradleymckay

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
... and WOW are
> the engineers gonna get an earful with the
> placement of those right over the cab ... i
> understand the clearance issue but i have to ask
> ... why there ???

Why there? Because if the hogger falls asleep the conductor can have a good laugh by blowing the horn and watching the hogger jump, from a sound sleep, 3 feet out of his seat...

AM

Date: 07/25/11 20:25
Author: DrLoco

Yeah, but that would require the conductor to wake up in the first place!
>
> Why there? Because if the hogger falls asleep the
> conductor can have a good laugh by blowing the
> horn and watching the hogger jump, from a sound
> sleep, 3 feet out of his seat...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1983 seconds