Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > New EMD SD70ACE Demonstrator - Railway Interchange 2011


Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


Date: 09/19/11 19:16
New EMD SD70ACE Demonstrator - Railway Interchange 2011
Author: CPengineer

Today I attended the Railway Interchange 2011 trade show at CP's Humboldt Yard in Minneapolis. This is a joint show by the Railway Engineering Maintenance Suppliers Association, the Railway Supply Institute, and Railway Systems Suppliers, Inc.

The most interesting display in my opinion was EMD's SD70ACE Tier 3 demonstrator, EMDX 2012, which has been hanging around the Twin Cities for several weeks covered with a tarp. Note that a PTC screen has been added to the control stand. The blue color scheme and stainless steel "Electro Motive" lettering is striking.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/11 19:56 by CPengineer.








Date: 09/19/11 19:22
Re: Railway Interchange 2011 Show - Humboldt Yard
Author: CPengineer

GE's display was a new GEVO, UP 7510. Progress Rail brought PRLX 3004, a model PR30C powered by a CAT diesel. The last photo is of the "Lean and Green" locomotive, LOCX 1005.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/11 04:40 by CPengineer.








Date: 09/19/11 19:29
Re: Railway Interchange 2011 Show - Humboldt Yard
Author: CPengineer

National Railway Equipment showed off two of their N-Viromotives, model 2GS36C-DE No. 3600 and model 2GS14B No. 1400. Stanley tools had a big display, including ex-CZ tail car Silver Solarium. Railpower exhibited R.J. Corman 2010, an RP20BD.








Date: 09/19/11 20:53
Re: Railway Interchange 2011 Show - Humboldt Yard
Author: baltimore

scapegoat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One Correction. The Lean and Green is NOT Mobile
> Locomotive's We just use their reporting marks.


And who is "WE"????

Baltimore



Date: 09/19/11 21:03
Re: Railway Interchange 2011 Show - Humboldt Yard
Author: stlrailfan

Sir,
superb post thanks for sharing whats new in motive power.
Mark Mautner



Date: 09/19/11 21:49
Re: Railway Interchange 2011 Show - Humboldt Yard
Author: alamode

While there please get builder's info from the plates and share if possible.



Date: 09/20/11 03:11
Re: Railway Interchange 2011 Show - Humboldt Yard
Author: gouldj

The SD70ACe demo was surely kept a secret. Anyone venture a guess as to it going on the road?



Date: 09/20/11 07:17
Re: Railway Interchange 2011 Show - Humboldt Yard
Author: electromac

Awesome photos.......thanks for sharing.



Date: 09/20/11 12:50
Re: Railway Interchange 2011 Show - Humboldt Yard
Author: DoctorThunder

2 Observations:

1. That Demo ACE is a sexy beast!

2. NRE sure makes some wild looking units.



Date: 09/20/11 13:47
Re: Railway Interchange 2011 Show - Humboldt Yard
Author: highgreengraphics

Even with all that striping, note that between the brochure photo and the on-display photo, a white frame stripe had to be added! This thing needs high-altitude testing. Send it to Colorado immediately! === === = === JLH



Date: 09/20/11 16:11
Re: New EMD SD70ACE Demonstrator - Railway Interchange
Author: csx4793

hopefully they changed the bell/horn so you can shut the bell off after you blow after for a crossing you can shut it off insead of it ringing another hour.....



Date: 09/20/11 20:50
Re: New EMD SD70ACE Demonstrator - Railway Interchange
Author: imrl

Two things that I notice on the SD70ACe demo:

1. Equipped with PTC (note the Wabtec screen on the left)

2. Equipped with UP/CNW CCS/ACS (note the black acknowledgment button plus the visual cab signal box just behind the PTC screen).



Date: 09/21/11 03:03
Re: New EMD SD70ACE Demonstrator - Railway Interchange
Author: Evan_Werkema

Was there an entry from Motivepower? I see Wabtec in the exhibitors list, but they make a lot of things besides locomotives. Also interesting that Progress Rail and ElectroMotive had separate booth listings on the Railway Interchange 2011 website, but it almost looks like they were under a common banner at the locomotive display. Wonder if Caterpillar intends to keep two separate locomotive-building subsidiaries, or if they are looking to integrate the two at some point.



Date: 09/21/11 10:08
Re: New EMD SD70ACE Demonstrator - Railway Interchange
Author: MDH

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonder if Caterpillar intends to keep two separate
> locomotive-building subsidiaries, or if they are
> looking to integrate the two at some point.

I'd imagine there was some forethought to lettering the long hood of the SD70ACe with "ElectroMotive, the next generation of progress"...

(not that I know anything about their future intentions beyond reading the marketing/branding on the side of the demo unit)



Date: 09/21/11 13:01
Re: New EMD SD70ACE Demonstrator - Railway Interchange
Author: NSDTK

I'm surprised Progress didn't send 3001 and 2002 ( Both in Progress Red ) up there. But considering where they have been sitting for the last 6 months they might no know where they are.



Date: 09/21/11 19:22
Re: New EMD SD70ACE Demonstrator - Railway Interchange
Author: GreenRailNews

Do tell... Where are they?

Jody
http://www.GreenRailNews.com

NSDTK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm surprised Progress didn't send 3001 and 2002 (
> Both in Progress Red ) up there. But considering
> where they have been sitting for the last 6 months
> they might no know where they are.



Date: 09/21/11 20:11
Re: New EMD SD70ACE Demonstrator - Railway Interchange
Author: kklarr

Thanks for sharing your pictures Jeff, looks like a fun time seeing all the new locomotives. I hope I get a chance to see the new demo.

Kerry Klarr



Date: 09/22/11 07:57
Re: New EMD SD70ACE Demonstrator - Railway Interchange
Author: RF-NOCOM

imrl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Two things that I notice on the SD70ACe demo:
>
> 1. Equipped with PTC (note the Wabtec screen on
> the left)
>
> 2. Equipped with UP/CNW CCS/ACS (note the black
> acknowledgment button plus the visual cab signal
> box just behind the PTC screen).

The UP is not the only railroad with cab signals. How do you know that it is strictly a UP cab signal set up? The NS also uses Wabtec for their PTC and has cab signals. CSX also has cab signals and I have seen Wabtec screens in some of their engines also. I will give you another point towards a UP engine though, The seats appear to be UP seats. If the locomotive was not destined to one certain railroad you would have thought that they would have put the BNSF seats in it, they seem to have the best seats. Although that camera housing appears as though it could go either way between the UP or NS. I believe that CSX uses the GE lococam in all of their engines, but it's hard to remember.


You are always going track speed with RF NOCOM !



Date: 09/22/11 08:13
Re: New EMD SD70ACE Demonstrator - Railway Interchange
Author: NYSWSD70M

RF-NOCOM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> imrl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Two things that I notice on the SD70ACe demo:
> >
> > 1. Equipped with PTC (note the Wabtec screen
> on
> > the left)
> >
> > 2. Equipped with UP/CNW CCS/ACS (note the
> black
> > acknowledgment button plus the visual cab
> signal
> > box just behind the PTC screen).
>
> The UP is not the only railroad with cab signals.
> How do you know that it is strictly a UP cab
> signal set up? The NS also uses Wabtec for their
> PTC and has cab signals. CSX also has cab signals
> and I have seen Wabtec screens in some of their
> engines also. I will give you another point
> towards a UP engine though, The seats appear to be
> UP seats. If the locomotive was not destined to
> one certain railroad you would have thought that
> they would have put the BNSF seats in it, they
> seem to have the best seats. Although that camera
> housing appears as though it could go either way
> between the UP or NS. I believe that CSX uses the
> GE lococam in all of their engines, but it's hard
> to remember.
>
>
> You are always going track speed with RF NOCOM !


If it is truly a demonstrator, the builder(s) will generally equip the demonstrator(s) so that they can go anywhere, or at least be able to be equipped with any special equipment for the host road. On the other hand, if this is part of the current UP order or an "add on" that will end up on the UP but is painted in demonstrator paint, it will be outfitted to meet that carrier's specification.



Date: 09/22/11 13:33
Re: New EMD SD70ACE Demonstrator - Railway Interchange
Author: AfroRon

RF-NOCOM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> imrl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Two things that I notice on the SD70ACe demo:
> >
> > 1. Equipped with PTC (note the Wabtec screen
> on
> > the left)
> >

> The NS also uses Wabtec for their
> PTC and has cab signals.

The Wabtec screens on NS units are for the LEADER system, not PTC. I suspect this might be the case here as well...



Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.34 seconds