Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Alcos and Geeps together

Date: 01/07/12 17:21
Alcos and Geeps together
Author: JayK

The Winchester & Western "Sandman" hauls sand from a quarry near Gore, VA to Winchester, VA. most weekdays. It's current consist is an Alco slug sandwiched between two GP10s. The slug (W&W 210) was originally an RS-11 before conversion to an MT-4.

1. Here the train is passing a small cattle farm on the outskirts of Gore, VA. The train will make all of 10 mph as it follows Back Creek up the ridge to Gainesboro.

2. Passing through Gainesboro, VA the train has slowed to a crawl. Just ahead it will stall before reaching the summit. The crew will back it down the hill about one train length and then coax it over the top with the sanders wide open and a gentle hand on the throttle. No wheel slip indicators on these old geeps.

3. Gliding downgrade the Sandman passing through another ranch in Indian Hollow.

Jim Kleeman

More on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28053622@N05/?saved=1

Date: 01/07/12 18:30
Re: Alcos and Geeps together
Author: CR6444

Very nice shots.. those 2 EMD's are GP10's of Conrail heritage. Plus the slug is also an Conrail heritage, its an MT4. (Motor Traction 4 axle) They fit just perfectly! Since, the GP10 with MT4 duo was always retrofitted to be a mother-slug when in Conrail's waning years working on smaller yards as shunters.

Excellent catch..

CR

Date: 01/07/12 20:11
Author: DJ-12

Interesting. It looks like they have a sizeable train. What time do they typically pull from Gore? Any particular days of the week that they are most likely to run?

Date: 01/07/12 21:10
Author: burgman99

PittsburghMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting. It looks like they have a sizeable
> train. What time do they typically pull from Gore?
> Any particular days of the week that they are most
> likely to run?

From August. I haven't heard of any change. 4th reply down
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,2552898,2553028#msg-2553028

Jay, once again, nice shots!

Date: 01/08/12 04:10
Author: JayK

PittsburghMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting. It looks like they have a sizeable
> train. What time do they typically pull from Gore?
> Any particular days of the week that they are most
> likely to run?

I have chased it three times in the last few months. It usually departed Gore about 0930. I think it's a M-F run. I usually check in at the W&W office in downtown Winchester. I have been skunked once when it didn't run.

Jim Kleeman

Date: 01/08/12 06:07
Author: bridgeportsub

Great shots. We have been over there a couple of times,but its hard to drive rt 50 east from here to get over there.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0386 seconds