Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS locomotive fleet questions

Date: 10/29/00 06:19
NS locomotive fleet questions
Author: frequentflyer

Its a known fact that NS is a conservative when it comes to buying new units. So when they ordered the new GEs WITH safety cab,it was a big deal. Are the GEs working up to standards? Can we expect to see a major GE order in the future?

OR

a possible EMD order? And what does NS have against AC traction? I thought AC traction required less maintenance (according to the locomotive makers).

Date: 10/29/00 07:08
RE: NS locomotive fleet questions
Author: vjordan

Judging from the number of GE's NS has now,they must be happy with them.I would like to see more EMD's myself.The first NS widecab I saw was a big deal.Now I'm sick of them!NS has the AC units they got from the Conrail split but I don't know how well they're doing.

Date: 10/29/00 16:02
Author: splicer

I catch the SD80 MACs on the Mon Line hauling coal frequently. At least some are still not repainted. No apparent problems as two of these units can handle a longgggg string.

Date: 10/29/00 16:53
Author: CJ

I read something a few years ago about NS and AC's.
Apparently, they claimed that their sidings in Virginia were only so long, and they didnt need the extra power. And about the GE's and EMD's, since they are buying SD70M's right now, they must be looking for something from EMD, as well as the -9's from GE.

I guess i got my two cents in now,
Chris
ICQ 63190150

Date: 10/29/00 18:55
Author: retiredHogger

In 1995 the NS tested SP GE4400AC units on caol trains, 2 units on these trains, I ran several consists of these. On one coal train powered by the SP units I found a consist of 203 car 20,000 ton plus coal train. I also found on a coal train powered by 2 SD60s a consist of a 205 car 20,000 plus coal train. So if 2 SD60s does the work of 2 4400AC units why do you need to pay the extra cost for AC power ?

Date: 10/29/00 21:02
CJ,when did NS order SD70s
Author: frequentflyer

I usually read only the western and Amtrak boards,so the fact that NS has ordered SD70Ms is new too me. I wander if they got the same deal UP got? And how many did they order? Do they have desktop stands?

And while we are at,why is NS against Desktop stands? The union (from what I read)had input of their design.

Date: 10/30/00 00:09
RE: CJ,when did NS order SD70s
Author: redneckrailfan

>>I wander if they got the same deal UP got? And how many did they order? Do they have desktop stands<<

The 10 NS SD70M's were tacked onto the UP order. That means that the units are built to the same specifications as the UP SD70M's, meaning that they DO have desktop controls. The only thing that should be different is the paint. If NS turns out to be pleased with these 10 units, its possible that they could order additional units in the future but only time will tell.

Bryan

Date: 10/30/00 07:34
Author: dieselfan

A friend of mine talked to a someone who works high up for NS,and was told that the NS has,orwas going to buy some SD90MACS.The number I was told was 500,but that seems a little high to me.I don't know how accurate the info is,so don't quote me on it

Regards,
Dieselfan

Date: 10/30/00 10:14
Author: duracell

MACs for NS?
Doubtful at best! (500 is even more doubtful; where would they find the capital? Both NS and CSX are cash-strapped).

I don't see how hyper-conservative NS management would order AC traction units (that they consider to be too much expensive despite potential savings on fuel, maintenance and unit reduction), especially with the 265H prime mover, which got itself a bad reputation on UP units before EMD finally corrected the problem(s). NS hasn't even tested any SD90MAC (but CSX is about to do so with CP 9301 and 9302). Given the fair performance of 6000hp units on heavy drags, I think NS would prefer the versatility 4000hp units, that can be used in any type of service, be it on intermodal hotshots (just add more of them), on regular junk trains or on heavy coal drags.

CSX seems commited to 6000hp units; I'd rather see CSX potentially ordering some SD90MAC (or perhaps SD89MAC if the demo GM92 prooves successful; by-the-way, anyone knows where it is right now? Still testing in Pueblo?).

Even SD90-43MAC probably wouldn't be considered by NS, despite good performances on UP and CP. AC units sure would be useful in the Pocahontas coal fields or on that 4.7% grade in Saluda, but try to convince NS! They already have SD70M; the next orders to EMD (if any) probably will be for more SD70M (not even SD70MAC).

JF

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0574 seconds