Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Norfolk Southern New York City Address

Date: 03/15/12 12:45
Norfolk Southern New York City Address
Author: Ray_Murphy

Can anyone tell me why Google Maps shows the Norfolk Southern's office location in New York City at the southern edge of Central Park across from the Essex House hotel?

Ray

Date: 03/15/12 13:02
Re: Norfolk Southern New York City Address
Author: pal77

New special training center for crew carrier going green with horse power! Sorry couldn't resist.

Date: 03/15/12 17:30
Author: DJ-12

Could be any number of things, but its most likely a business office such as a sales office, government affairs office....

Date: 03/15/12 17:56
Author: junctiontower

I remember reading in the book "The men Who Loved Trains" that NS has a suite there to conduct business. There was supposed to be a meeting there between David Goode and John Snow to discuss the Conrail split-up, but Snow was a no-show. This was a contributing factor in Goode trusting Snow even less than he did already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/12 17:57 by junctiontower.

Date: 03/15/12 18:01
Author: Ray_Murphy

junctiontower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember reading in the book "The men Who Loved
> Trains" that NS has a suite there to conduct
> business. There was supposed to be a meeting there
> between David Goode and John Snow to discuss the
> Conrail split-up, but Snow was a no-show. This
> was a contributing factor in Goode trusting Snow
> even less than he did already.

Thanks. I find it interesting that the Google Maps marker falls smack on the line of waiting horse-drawn carriages on the other side of the street from the hotel, however.

(you can check this out in Google Street View. The address is 160 Central Park South in New York City)

Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/12 18:02 by Ray_Murphy.

Date: 03/15/12 18:50
Author: toledopatch

Google Maps' placement of buildings, businesses etc. is less than precise.

Date: 03/16/12 07:36
Author: 710guy

It's a meeting place with a hot dog stand outside.

Date: 03/16/12 07:42
Author: Lackawanna484

It is strange.

I looked up some of the possible reasons, like the legal address of incorporation, which is often a lawyer's office or trust company address; an address for legal service of documents; office of a predecessor or subsidiary firm; etc. Even the location of a sales office, and came up blank

Maybe the guy running the hot dog stand, or the horse pulling the Central Park carriage is really in charge....

Date: 03/16/12 19:54
Author: junctiontower

Well like it or not, New York City really IS the center of the universe for the business world and I doubt there are very many companies the size of Norfolk Southern that don't have some kind of office there.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0346 seconds