Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Erie Lackawanna Train Frequency?

Date: 01/13/01 15:15
Erie Lackawanna Train Frequency?
Author: JPB

What was the Erie Lackawanna's train frequency on the Southern Tier?

Date: 01/13/01 15:21
RE: Erie Lackawanna Train Frequency?

P.S: I don't know why the picture posted huge. It's only 76k

Date: 01/13/01 16:24
Author: dddandy

I think you can find the info on the Erie Lackawanna Historical site. I looked at a list of scheduled freights there last year and I would guess it was 6-10 through freights and 5 Passenger trains each way in the early 60's through Binghamton. In additon were various locals plus D&H and Lehigh Valley each ran a daily between Binghamton and Owego. If my memory is correct East of Binghamton - the old Erie route (now Southern Tier) was heavier freight and only a couple passenger, while Ex Lackawanna (D&H) was the reverse - probably due to the grades at Pocono Summit and Clarks Summit. I grew up near the tracks West of Binghamton and that would jive with my recollections of the traffic.
FYI Freight speed was 59MPH Max reduced to 49 MPH in the last few years of operation. Nice Photo - what's the location.

Date: 01/13/01 18:22

The picture was taken at Owego, NY

Date: 01/14/01 10:46
Author: Dick

There were as many as 16 freights in each direction on peak days between Binghamton and Hornell in the late 1960's with six or so going on to Buffalo and the rest heading straight west at Hornell or taking the River line west towards Chicago. This number decreased to around 12 - 13 each way by the end of the EL in 1976.
Dick Eisfeller
Big "E" Productions

Date: 01/14/01 12:47
Author: itstrue911

the tier was much busier then than it is nowadays,only two trains run in daylight on the west end of the tier in buffalo and ns traffic has virtually dried up here in buffalo because everything goes via reading and pittsburgh.

dave in buffalo
csx bayview,ny,no defects out!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0313 seconds