Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX rear-ender Carlisle, OH

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 02/17/01 03:00
CSX rear-ender Carlisle, OH
Author: timecruncher

On the way to work this morning (4:55AM EST) I heard a report of a derailment with one fatality, described as a rear-ender near Carlisle, Ohio. Sounds like the CSX Toledo Sub (ex-B&O) and a coal drag, since the only substance mentioned was coal "spilled."

I know there are lots of Cinncy folks on this board, so I figure we'll see more details soon.

Date: 02/17/01 05:38
RE: rear-ender Carlisle, OH
Author: w8nkp

From the television news footage, it looks like the CSX derailment took place at the north end of the siding in Carlisle proper. Channel Five news is reporting this is a head-on collision between a northbound loaded coal train and southbound train. I will post more information as it becomes available.

Keary
W8NKP

Date: 02/17/01 06:52
Author: k8dti

Tragic news: initial reports have an extra board engineer killed. CSX engine #700 severely damaged. The lead train that was struck was a steel K-train and struck by a Marysville, Ohio autorack train.

Date: 02/17/01 07:38
Author: banner

CSX auto train rear ended ore train, two units on auto train went down embankment and are on fire one confirmed fatatilty and two other crew members air lifted to Dayton all from the headend of auto train.
CSX 700 in lead SD-70mac & ac 288.

Date: 02/17/01 08:03
Detours?
Author: IORY_GP40

Just heard a CSX Q-series train (not one of the normally assigned Q trains) getting permission for the Sugar Block, which leads to the Midland Sub. Is CSX using the Midland to detour around the wreck?

Dave

Date: 02/17/01 08:27
RE: Detours?
Author: cgtower

It would appear that CSX is diverting Toledo Sub. traffic to a Midland Sub. & Columbus Sub. route. All is quite up here on the north end of the Toledo Sub. with no train movements since late last night.

Eric

Date: 02/17/01 08:28
Author: cgtower

It would appear that CSX is diverting Toledo Sub. traffic to a Midland Sub. & Columbus Sub. route. All is quiet up here on the north end of the Toledo Sub. with no train movements since late last night.

Eric

Date: 02/17/01 08:46
Conrail Cincinnati Line detour
Author: k8dti

Detours are via the ex-Conrail from Dayton to Cincinnati. Some traffic may go via the Midland, but traffic is restricted due to local traffic and capacity issues.

Date: 02/17/01 08:53
RE: Conrail Cincinnati Line detour
Author: IORY_GP40

I knew they couldn't send a lot via the Midland, but I guess as many as they can put on the Midland they will.

Dave

Date: 02/17/01 09:29
RE: Conrail Cincinnati Line detour
Author: Throttle_JCKY

Man, that just hits a tad bit to close to home. My thoughts and prayers are with the relatives and loved ones of all in the accident.

That is the second rear-ender on the Toledo and Cincinnati Terminal.
Hope they find out what exactly happened.

Was that a Indianapolis (former Conrail) crew on that train, or on from the east or Toledo based former Conrail crew?

Date: 02/17/01 10:09
Author: DRLOCO

Any word on who the crew members are? I know several people that work on that sub, and I hope that the "ex-Conrail" crew wasn't some guys I used to run with a few years ago. Those guys were some of the finest railroaders I've had the honor of working with. At any rate, please pray for these men and their families in this harrowing time. This should serve as a reminder to us all that railroading is dangerous business, and that life itself is precious.~~DRLOCO. RJKrengel.

Date: 02/17/01 11:10
Author: wheel_slip

The crew on the q228 was a Marysville Ohio based crew. The crew had an engineer pilot on board who was from Cincinnati. The 35 year old pilot engineer was the crew member who was killed.

Date: 02/17/01 11:23
Author: banner

The engineer was a former cr and the cond. was CSX

Date: 02/17/01 11:56
Author: adristoo

The csx 700!!(spirit of cumberland) I just saw that unit here in Rochester, NY on thursday, nice and clean, its too bad ! train derailments and death and everything. any ideas on how bad the loco were damaged? i think the second unit is csx 265, or at least thats what it was up here

Adam

Date: 02/17/01 13:40
Author: approachmedium

The second unit was CSX 256, a AC4400CW.Such a tragic accident.
Thoughts and prayers to the train crew's families.

Date: 02/17/01 14:19
Author: PowellWye

Q203 with CSXT 7082 leading came down the Columbus Sub from Walbridge. Currently Q203 is going down the former C&O Northern Sub south out of Columbus. The power will runaround the train between NJ Cabin and DG Cabin and head down the "CD" back to Cincinnati.

Also, Q219 with CSXT 8418 leading just passed my location at MP 12 on the Columbus Sub. No indication yet if this train will make the same move as the Q203 or if it will head down the Midland.

Date: 02/17/01 16:10
Broken Necks
Author: aaca-yd

I was reading your threads and got the crap scared out of me for I have a friend that works outs of Marysville Ohio. So I called him to see if he was OK. Thank god he was,he told me he was the regular conductor on the auto train but is marked off sick. It was the Q24316 that was involved in the wreck. He didn't have the details of the accident, but said that the pilot was killed and the engineer and conductor are in the hospital with broken necks. Bless them all....

Date: 02/17/01 16:32
Detour Update
Author: PowellWye

Q368 just came into Parsons Yd in Columbus off the Northern. Q506 is on the Midland in the ORIENT or MOUND block waiting on a relief crew.

Date: 02/17/01 18:41
possibly cause?
Author: thatlldo

Any information on possible cause? Foggy, rainy, snowing, limited visibility, defective signals, defective train brakes, etc.

Date: 02/17/01 18:41
Author: P

vISITED the wreck site today. RJ Corman crews didn't get started until around 1:00pm today. IT definitely was a bad scene. It looked like 1 loaded auto rack car fell over & several loaded coal hoppers were literally split up & twisted into a heap. The report on the crew was horrifying & I hope the 2 survivors have a speedy recovery.

From the looks of things, the line probably won't be open until sometime tomorrow, although there is a siding track that they could open sooner to allow some of the bottleneck to pass through. Couldn't stick around, but wish I could have watched the Corman crews at work as they had quite a mess to clean up -- not the least being the lead locomotive that fell approx. 30 feet down into the 'ditch'.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds