Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NY and PA trip soon (info appreciated)

Date: 07/15/12 11:22
NY and PA trip soon (info appreciated)
Author: ssloansjca

Folks:

I am coming to eastern NY, northern PA on leaving CA July 23rd and staying a bit more than a week. It's my third trip out and I am interested knowing what the current status of the LAL owned lines are. I have shot these before, but it has been awhile. I am interested also in the Bath and Hammondsport, which I have never shot.

I am including these links (and attaching a few photos) so you know I am not a total flake:

http://www.ssloan.net/trains/collections/east_june_2010.html

http://www.ssloan.net/trains/collections/201110

As well as inquiring about the LAL routes I am wondering if folks have info about operations on the other Alco operators in the area including the GVT roads, the NY&LE and BSOR. Information about general times on duty, typical operations, etc would be greatly appreciated!

I am not limiting myself to Alco roads as I want to also go to Altoona and Horseshoe curve (never been there.)

Any information would be greatly appreciated Hey, if anybody wants to get together when I am out, let me know! I will be there from the 24th to August 2nd.

Thank You:

~Steve Sloan

Date: 07/15/12 11:49
Re: NY and PA trip soon (info appreciated)
Author: CR6444

As for the Buffalo Line/Southern Tier.. Buffalo Line PRR position light signals are now off and sideways in most areas.. but if you get lucky if you see a lit one, they wont be around for so long. The Southern Tier (ex Erie) across NY State, NS has been improving on their property, removing old "JC" mile markers in some areas. someone posted a photo of it all old Erie mileposts piled up somewhere in this forum.

Haven't been that way for some time but I am getting news about them from my local groups. Good luck on your trip!

CR

Date: 07/15/12 12:43
Author: Lackawanna484

The Arcade & Attica is out in that area as well. Also the Owego & Harford.

Date: 07/15/12 13:31
Author: ssloansjca

Well Frak me! I did not know about the fricking fracking. What is the Owego & Harford running these days. Do they have an RS18u in service or are they using GEs. Another gem out there is the Finger Lakes RR. I would not mind revisiting that. How is the weather in July?

~Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/12 13:33 by ssloansjca.

Date: 07/16/12 07:42
Author: LV95032

August and September are usually a couple of the better months for sun and decent weather for photography in central New York and Pennsylvania.
NY&LE doesn't operate much.
The Owego and Hartford no longer owns the RS18's or any 251 power. They usually use a GE B23. Sister road Lehigh Railway usually operates a train to the NS interchange at Sayre, PA on Tuesday - Friday usually with GP40-2's or SD40-2's. Both railroads have a black and white paint scheme but they a nicely lettered and have a herald. Better than some rag-tag operations in the area. If in the Corning area looking for the B&H also remember the Wellsboro and Corning which is quite busy, has several nicely painted SD40-2's and operates several day time trains a week. Trains depart from Wellsboro Jct.
You can tell when the B&H will be in Painted Post by observing the NS local that handles the interchange since it is a direct hand-off. The street running in Painted Post is the most interesting and when interchange is done you will get the opportunity of four moves (2- NS / 2 B&H). 98% of all B&H business is on the 5 miles of railroad closest to Painted Post.
Other railroads to consider would be the B&P(southbound road freight usually found in Bradford Pa between sunrise and 8:30am weekdays. Still have a chance for SD45u's on this train.Train runs south to Punxsatauney, PA stopping to do work in both Johnsonburg, PA and Dubois, PA. Usually meets the northbound counterpart at Johnsonburg, PA.
Lycoming Valley has several locals out of Newberry yard (west side of Williamspoort, Pa) every day.
Nittany and Bald Eagle operates out of Bellefonte, PA a couple jobs each weekday morning (7am) usually with very nicely painted (Penn State colors) chop GP's.
Also in the area is RJCorman's Pennsylvania lines operation based out of Clearfield, PA.
Horseshoe Curve is OK to watch - lousy for photos due to being overgrown. Gallitzin, Cresson, Lilly or Cassandra are much much better.
Go to the Cassandra (PA) railfan overlook for relaxing shady retreat. Great photos of westbound trains in middle of day.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0617 seconds