Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > I'll try my hand at posting a "Where is it?"

Date: 08/06/12 13:53
I'll try my hand at posting a "Where is it?"
Author: wa4umr

The overpass probably upset a few people. The homes around there start at about $250k and it's not an industrial area. Probably some of the home owners didn't even realize there was a train near until they heard it at a nearby (1/2 mile away) grade crossing and then saw a train going past their neighbor's back yard.

John

Date: 08/06/12 14:15
Re: I'll try my hand at posting a "Where is it?"
Author: cinder

WOW.....An architecturally-friendly railroad bridge in a pleasant, seemingly residential setting. My guess is that a developer covered the bill to design away the railroad......or it is in a place like Colonial Williamsburg (VA) where everything has to be "correct".

So let me guess. On the NS (Former NKP) in Cleveland? Probably not....too much topo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/12 14:16 by cinder.

Date: 08/06/12 14:26
Author: dschlegel

Looks a little like Williamsburg VA but I haven't been there in at least 10 years.

Date: 08/06/12 14:30
Author: robbie

Wow, I wouldn't have even known it was a railroad underpass without the note. (Would have been a nice touch had they done a little mosaic of the logo, a la some of the old PRR and N&W cement underpasses in Columbus! But, perhaps not so nice to the homeowners...)

I'm really limited in geographic knowledge, so my best guess would be on the former C&O north of Columbus, maybe in the Powell area? I know a lot of big new developments have gone in there, and the C&O mostly seems to run through residential areas once you get past the university...

Date: 08/06/12 14:33

I think you are on to something Robbie. Could it be the CSX in Charlottesville, VA? Near or on a college campus may be the ticket.

Date: 08/06/12 14:41

Thanks for the guesses but none of you are even close. Later this evening I'll post another picture that might help a bit. In the meantime, keep those guesses coming. (You can guess again after I post that picture.)

John

Date: 08/06/12 15:14
Author: icancmp193

Charlotte NC

Tom Y

Date: 08/06/12 15:23
Author: blphoto

Nashville, TN area...

Date: 08/06/12 16:18
Author: swampfox

a pic from curiosity on mars??

Date: 08/06/12 18:47

Just in case you were thinking that the overpass was not really a railroad, here it is with a train crossing it.

Let me address some of the guesses and see if I can help some.

No, it's not NS (Former NKP) in Cleveland. Wrong state even.
Not Williamsburg VA either.
Not the C&O north of Columbus in the Powell area but you might say there are some distant connections. You'll see when the location is disclosed.
Could it be the CSX in Charlottesville, VA? Near or on a college campus may be the ticket. No. Wrong state and there's not a college or university for several miles... atleast not any major schools.
Charlotte NC? Not even close.
Nashville, TN area... Now that's getting closer but still the wrong state but you're within 200 miles.
A pic from curiosity on mars?? That's a great guess. You can see it from there. But this location is less than 15 light minutes from anyone on TO.com.

I'll post an answer tomorrow. Thanks for taking a look and a guess.

John

Date: 08/06/12 19:35
Author: Steinzeit

Lexington, KY ??

SZ

Date: 08/06/12 19:52
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

State College, Pa.

Date: 08/07/12 07:29
Author: sonderweg

He stated that it is within 200 miles of State College. Is State College within 200 miles of Nashville?

Forever-Railfan-45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> State College, Pa.

Date: 08/07/12 07:57
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

I was just messing around...

Date: 08/07/12 10:49

In Kentucky somewhere on the Corman line between Lexington & Louisville

Date: 08/07/12 11:54

OK. Here goes. The location is in Louisville, Ky., (about 160 miles from Nashville, as the crow flies.) This was the "old road" of the L&N from Louisville (Anchorage) to Frankfort, Lexington, Winchester, and the eastern Kentucky coal fields. As you can probably tell from the 2nd picture, it's R. J. Corman's road now. To narrow it down just a bit more, it's in the Middletown or Edgewood area of eastern Jefferson County. It's about a half mile west of Valhalla Golf Club and on the edge of the Lake Forest subdivision. The road going through here is "Arnold Palmer Blvd." On the west, HK (used to be a) tower is located. That's where it diverges off of the CSX (old L&N) LCL line to La Grange, Northern Kentucky, and Cincinnati.

I moved to the condo I'm in now and I didn't know, or didn't think about this road being so close to me. I live about 1/2 mile from the old road. I heard the engineer blowing for a grade crossing the second day I was there. It wasn't real loud but I knew I was close. I can hear it inside with the windows closed. I don't mind hearing it but I wonder about some of the Lake Forest residents. Those home are in the $250k to $750K range.

Mr. Corman ran his QJ through here a few days ago. http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,2835404,2835404#msg-2835404 I didn't know about it until it was back home.

Often they will run steam on Derby Day http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,2837655 but they didn't do it this year

Anyway, thanks for guessing. I enjoyed some of the answers.

John

Date: 08/07/12 12:27
Author: sonderweg

Ah, gotcha!. :)

Forever-Railfan-45 Wrote:
> I was just messing around...

Date: 08/07/12 12:35
Author: P

wa4umr Wrote:
> OK. Here goes. The location is in Louisville

I can hear it inside with
> the windows closed. I don't mind hearing it but I
> wonder about some of the Lake Forest residents.
> Those home are in the $250k to $750K range.
>

Some people would rather live next to a highway where there is CONSTANT noise rather then live next to a railroad track. I don't get it. I live next to an active line that is reasonably busy, but it is quiet at least 23 hours a day cumulatively. Even if I didn't like trains, I would much rather live next to a railroad than a highway.
With a railroad, it is quiet most of the time.
With a railroad, you are less likely to have strangers walking near your house
With a railroad, IT IS QUIET MOST OF THE TIME.

Date: 08/07/12 12:52

Here is the aerial view courtesy of Google Maps. By the way, here is how you can save just the aerial photo from the Google site.

Open the Google Map site on the map you want to save,

Hit the Print Screen key on your keyboard (upper right corner of your keyboard.),
Press Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Paint
When Paint opens to a new canvas; press ctrl V which will paste the screen shot to Paint;
Use the select tool to crop the map from the screen image,

Here's another address relative to saving aerial pictures:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6588577_save-map-pix-google.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/12 12:55 by cinder.

Date: 08/07/12 13:02

Here is the street view from Google.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0647 seconds