Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Wreck/Amtrak detours on B&O

Date: 04/18/01 07:42
NS Wreck/Amtrak detours on B&O
Author: toledopatch

NS 69T has derailed east of Kendallville IN and the derailment was struck by NS 24Z. One crewman injured. Amtrak 29, 49, and 44 are detouring via Deshler, OH.

Date: 04/18/01 07:48
RE: NS Wreck/Amtrak detours on B&O
Author: skunk

Thanks, ToledoPatch.

Date: 04/18/01 07:55
Author: 46m

Just wondering about the detouring part. If they are detouring through Deshler, Defience, Sherwood, exc. how are pass. in towns like Bryan, and Waterloo going to get on. I know when we had the wreck in Butler, and the 2 near Bryan that Amtrak went up through Battle Creek and the passengers were bussed up there from here. Will they do the same thing and bus em' over to Kendallville or where ever the next Amtrak station is along the line? Thats gotta be confusing with 2 eastbounds and a west bound and trying to move people around and have them on time.

Date: 04/18/01 08:09
Author: toledopatch

I'd figure either bus or taxi, depending on the number of pax for each stop. Remember that Bryan and Waterloo are not particularly far from Garrett, IN.

Date: 04/18/01 08:10
46M:
Author: skunk

Sounds like bus locations would be the closest--Garrett, for example, for Waterloo. What would be the closest for the CSX in relation to Bryan?

Kendallvile has a set of crossovers on the west side of town and there are other sets at Waterloo and Ligonier. Maybe they can get one track open at Kendallville soon. NS also has the NKP east-west main down here at Fort Wayne, depending how long the line is tied up. Sure wish, I had the day off.

Date: 04/18/01 11:37
RE: 46M:
Author: CSX_CO

Scuttlebutt from CSX and AMTRAK crews says a steel train had cars on the ground and the other train struck those derailed cars. Had trouble reaching the crew, and they wouldn't respond to the radio.

We had 3 AMTRAK trains in Garrett at one time, and I think the Elkhart passengers will detrain at Napannee. Waterloo and Bulters Apparently got off in Toledo.

Capital Limited was 10 miles west of Toledo when derailment happened. Train backed to Toledo, wye'd someplace on the Chicago line, down to WR Tower, and then via Bates and Deshler to Garrett.

P900, P901 are Chicago bound right now, and P902 is Toledo Bound.

Take care
be safe

Date: 04/18/01 12:20
re-routes thru Michigan
Author: GAP

Kalamazoo is seeing additional traffic also, as some freights are moving north from Elkhart, then east to Detroit. I've heard at least two with symbols I didn't recognize as normal.

Date: 04/18/01 13:03
20K through Kalamazoo...
Author: cr4124

I can confirm one of the reroutes on the Michigan Line...20K with NS 9559, and NS 8556 headed east from Kalamazoo about 1:45 pm EDT, right after Amtk 353 passed.

Jack

Date: 04/18/07 12:09
Re: 20K through Kalamazoo...
Author: nathansixchime

Even with the mess, we have this little note on Amtrak's website:

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0451 seconds