For those of you who wanted to see one, here it is

Date: 04/21/01 21:04
RE: Buckeye Crossbuck
Author: Darth_Vader

humm Ohio State colors.. I like :-)

Date: 04/21/01 21:19
Author: roughrider

they started installing these in ohio back in 1993-94. who hasn't seen one in 8 years?

Date: 04/21/01 21:24
"Ohio" Colors?
Author: Ster2Block

There is a difference? What does "Ohio" Colors mean? Are there like PA colors and stuff?

Tony

Date: 04/21/01 21:35
RE: "Ohio" Colors?=Tony
Author: SD80MAC4100

He's thinking Ohio State University colors=Scarlet and Grey

Date: 04/21/01 22:07
RE: "Ohio" Colors?=Tony
Author: Darth_Vader

Yeah I thought it would be funny because
A. Scarlet and Gray = OSU colors
B. "Crossbuck"
C. They started using this particular style in Ohio

Date: 04/22/01 05:49
Author: dmedlinns

thats ok, but they should put a stop sign on the crossbuck instead
of a yield sign. stop , look , listen

Date: 04/22/01 06:57
Author: scapegoat

Wisconson and Southern put stop signs up at grade crossings and droped thier problems by 40% but every where else it's illegal to put a stop sign at a road crossing. It should be a crime not to have a stop sign at a road crossing.

Date: 04/22/01 07:35
RE: stop signs at grade crossings
Author: M.Schwiebert

There are a few grade crossings here in Northwest Ohio that have a "stop" sign in conjunction with the railroad issue crossbucks. Based on similar situations in the past, these crossings are earmarked for lights/gates in the near future.
Michigan also has stop signs at selected crossings.

Date: 04/22/01 07:39
RE: stop signs at grade crossings part II
Author: M.Schwiebert

If I recall correctly, the Ohio law is written that unless other forms of warning devices are present (gates/lights etc.) and operational, a motorist must yeild the right of way to the oncoming train. Yield signs in most situations are sufficient.

Date: 04/22/01 13:18
Author: RRKen

As part of UP's rebuilding of it's Fairmont Sub. all crossings were rebuilt and re-signed. Along with crossbucks, stopsigns were added when the local county was willing. A few crossings got flashing l ights, and all electronic crossing protection was upgraded to "predictor" type electronics. All Private crossings had the cross bucks removed and were replaced with stop signs. Both the states of Iowa and Minnesota co-operated in closing, or enhancing all crossings so far. So stop signs are far from illegal at crossings. In Blue Earth, MN, seven crossings were closed, and the rest with passive protection had stop signs added by the city, along with more agressive enforcement.

This year, as they finish the last 20 miles of this project, our safety captains have been out scouring the communities involved to educate them and solicit asisstance for grade crossing enhancement. I see it as quite important since the speeds on the line have gone from 10 mph to 49 mph.

RRKen
Mason City, IA

Date: 04/22/01 14:54
Yield?
Author: wc_gulliver

I've noticed in Michigan that there are quite a few Yield signs in conjunction with crossbucks. Isn't it a little obvious that you should yield to a train? I favor Stop signs since you have to stop and inspect since it is foolish to blow any stop sign. It keeps people from flying through a plain yield crossing. I've never seen the Ohio crossings in "action" do those reflectors on the pole really reflect the lights from the train?

-chris

Date: 04/22/01 16:45
RE: Yield?
Author: daveoc1551

Yes , they do reflect train lights unless they have been hit by a vehicle or become out of alignment with the tracks.

Here in Ohio it does not seem to make a difference what sign is used at a crossing, the carnage continues. We are looking at high speed rail in Cols that should be interesting.

I lived in a small town in Illinois served by the Chicago Aurora & Elgin , a high speed heavyweight interurban in in the 40s/50s. Open 600 volt 3rd rail and a crossing every block. In this day and age this would keep the population in check. People were not killed then maybe it is just a sign of the times.

Dave

Date: 04/23/01 08:47
RE: Yield & Stop
Author: trainmaster3

The Buckeye Crossbuck is a significant improvement over the standard crossbuck if for no other reason than enhanced visibility. The first time you approach an installation like the one pictured above at night, it is evident that the design does what it sets out to do, that being to provide a more intense visible warning to motorists approaching a crossing. It does that in spades. One minor point is that although the design is such that it will reflect the headlight and ditchlights of a approaching train, this effect is completely washed out when approaching the crossing in a vehicle with lights on at night, still it is a good and well intentioned innovation.

On the subject of Yield and Stop signs at crossings, I have run trains in Ohio(where yield dominates) and Michigan(where Stop signs are the rule of thumb) and can testify that it is irrelevant as to which is used as they will both be equally ignored by the motoring public. What is ironic about Michigan is that people will only comply with the Stop signs at crossings when it is plainly evident that no trains are approaching. Show headlights and ditchlights, horn and bell and they will accelerate to beat the train and not even consider stopping!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0524 seconds