Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Travel Pullman trip report

Date: 11/03/12 07:30
Travel Pullman trip report
Author: co614

I'm pleased to report that I had a very enjoyable round trip aboard the inaugural revenue run of the new Pullman service from Chicago to New Orleans on 10/29 out of Chicago and 10/31 out of New Orleans.Please see www.travelpullman.com for details.

I had the Master Room in the observation car Ponchatrain Club and thoroughly enjoyed the double bed and complete private bath facilities. Also in our consist were the 11 bedroom sleeper Baton Rouge and the dome diner whose name I've forgotten. I spent most of my time in the rear of the observation car or enjoying meals in the dome.

The uniformed crew were superb and well trained and very attentive. The food& beverage service were great and the equipment very well restored.

The CN so called " mainline" track between Memphis and Jackson is by far the roughest I've ever experienced and needs a ton of work done on it. It's now painfully evident how CN achieves the best operating ratio in the industry....they don't invest back into the physical plant. Trust me, that stretch is beyond rough, it's a derailment waiting to happen. CN should be ashamed of themselves!!

Other than that it was a great trip ( even had good luck and # 58/59 ran close to schedule) and I am confident that Ed Ellis and his team will make this a big long term success with a little cooperation from Amtrak.

If you enjoy traveling by train and enjoy good service and ambiance I strongly recommend it.

Ross Rowland

Date: 11/03/12 11:06
Re: Travel Pullman trip report
Author: cashfare

Thanks for the trip report. Time to take out that 5th mortgage on the house and ride the train! Joking, I don't think I can ever afford to ride it so trip reports are the closest I can get.

Date: 11/03/12 11:58
Author: zzzzz

Sounds like a nice trip. My nephew is looking for a job, what is the starting wage? I know good service doesn't always constitute a good tip from customers from working at a fancy restaurant back in the day. Does it pay into Railroad Retirement like Amtrak? Also, is there health benefits since standing and constant movement of the train can be hazardous on a back.

Date: 11/03/12 13:48
Author: ATSF3751

zzzzz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like a nice trip. My nephew is looking for
> a job, what is the starting wage? I know good
> service doesn't always constitute a good tip from
> customers from working at a fancy restaurant back
> in the day. Does it pay into Railroad Retirement
> like Amtrak? Also, is there health benefits since
> standing and constant movement of the train can be
> hazardous on a back.

I would think, with all due respect to the operators, that this might be a short term operation. Of course I would like to see it successful, but the pricing seems a bit steep given a one way starts at around $1950.00 for two people, which I checked CHI-NOL for 11/14. The schedules are a bit erratic as well. (If you think it is difficult to market a tri-weekly train, try a service that is more like "sometimes" operational). Amtrak offers a comparable room for $628.00 for two people one way CHI-NOL for that same date, and it operates daily.

Of course, I am sure the food service is better....but.....how many folks can or would want to pay an additional $661 per person for a really fine dinner along a ride in a dome car? Also, remember, this is not exactly a ride over the Rocky Mountains, or along the Pacific Coast. OK, I know, the cars are really beautiful and certainly a step-up from Amtrak. But, again, is there a market that will consistantly book this type of service. My bet is probably not. Hope I'm wrong.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/12 13:57 by ATSF3751.

Date: 11/03/12 16:20
Author: robj

ATSF3751 Wrote:
> zzzzz Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sounds like a nice trip. My nephew is looking
> for
> > a job, what is the starting wage? I know good
> > service doesn't always constitute a good tip
> from
> > customers from working at a fancy restaurant
> back
> > in the day. Does it pay into Railroad
> Retirement
> > like Amtrak? Also, is there health benefits
> since
> > standing and constant movement of the train can
> be
> > hazardous on a back.
>
>
> I would think, with all due respect to the
> operators, that this might be a short term
> operation. Of course I would like to see it
> successful, but the pricing seems a bit steep
> given a one way starts at around $1950.00 for two
> people, which I checked CHI-NOL for 11/14. The
> schedules are a bit erratic as well. (If you think
> it is difficult to market a tri-weekly train, try
> a service that is more like "sometimes"
> operational). Amtrak offers a comparable room for
> $628.00 for two people one way CHI-NOL for that
> same date, and it operates daily.
>
> Of course, I am sure the food service is
> better....but.....how many folks can or would want
> to pay an additional $661 per person for a really
> fine dinner along a ride in a dome car? Also,
> remember, this is not exactly a ride over the
> Rocky Mountains, or along the Pacific Coast. OK, I
> know, the cars are really beautiful and certainly
> a step-up from Amtrak. But, again, is there a
> market that will consistantly book this type of
> service. My bet is probably not. Hope I'm wrong.

Yea but you can save and not bring the duct tape and ear plugs, at least I hope.

Bob

Date: 11/03/12 17:08
Author: GreenRailNews

Dome car in the train was SLRG 511 "Scenic View" and we also had along 10&6 sleeper Chabanse along, mostly for crew.

Glad you had a good time, Ross. It was a pleasure to have you aboard.

Jody

Date: 11/03/12 23:08
Author: coach

zzzzz Wrote:
> Sounds like a nice trip. My nephew is looking for
> a job, what is the starting wage? I know good
> service doesn't always constitute a good tip from
> customers from working at a fancy restaurant back
> in the day. Does it pay into Railroad Retirement
> like Amtrak? Also, is there health benefits since
> standing and constant movement of the train can be
> hazardous on a back.

Wow--does your nephew want work, or disability payments??

Date: 11/04/12 09:08

He wants to work, but like many Americans, they want fair pay. I know Amtrak workers have to pay for their benefits, so I should have asked if they pay a good hourly salary and a fair benefits package that doesn't break the kids bank if they have to pay for their health benefits.

Date: 11/04/12 11:57
Author: ts1457

zzzzz Wrote:
> He wants to work, but like many Americans, they
> want fair pay. I know Amtrak workers have to pay
> for their benefits, so I should have asked if they
> pay a good hourly salary and a fair benefits
> package that doesn't break the kids bank if they
> have to pay for their health benefits.

Sounds like your nephew is just a charade for you to pose your judgemental questions.

Date: 11/04/12 12:09
Author: alamedafrank

If your nephew can not look for his own job, that is a good indication that he is not what they are looking for. Any railroad job is tough and you really have to want it, not sniffle about every benefit.

Date: 11/04/12 13:09
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for the trip report. Sounds like a quality operation.

My dad mentioned the Auto-Train right of way in Georgia felt like CSX took up the ties and didn't tell anybody. The sleeper bounced and bounced for quite a while. This was about two weeks ago.

ETA: The crew was excellent, as always. Train arrived a little late, but no problem at all.

He and my mother have 30-35 Auto-Train trips over the years. Delighted travelers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/12 06:21 by Lackawanna484.

Date: 11/04/12 14:33

Nah, I'm not one of those anti everything posters on here. I was just asking a question since he is looking for work. But since I can't get a answer on here or on their site, I will just assume that it's a low pay job like American Orient Express was. And to Alamedafrank, he doesn't have a account on Trainorders and always looks for his own jobs.
ts1457 Wrote:
>
> Sounds like your nephew is just a charade for you
> to pose your judgemental questions.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds