Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A dreary day in Western Indiana

Date: 11/03/12 07:45
A dreary day in Western Indiana
Author: RustyRayls

I flew into Detroit on October 18th. Brother Dave (BNSFFAN51), aka: Curly Klappsaddle, picked me up at the airport at 8:00 PM and we headed to Danville, IL with plans to chase the CSX to Evansville, IN on the 19th. We knew that the forecast was for crappy weather for the trip but we only had one day to get it done as the real purpose of the trip was to visit Mom in Western KY. If I was still shooting slide film I would have just left the camera in the bag and got to Moms earlier than planned. With a digital camera and a computer, I just keep shooting! (in between showers). The CSX did not cooperate very much either. I expected to see or hear more trains on this route between Chicago and Nashville.

1. & 2. - CSX # 34 with a northbound manifest at MP OZA 176.5 (8th St. crossing) on the CED Sub in Terre Haute.

3. - CSX # 152 on the head end of a Southbound hopper train at the Chaney St. crossing, MP OAZ 204.4, in Sullivan, IN

Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Date: 11/03/12 07:58
Re: A dreary day in Western Indiana

4. - Sullivan, IN again, facing the other direction. CSX # 5277 Southbound at the INRD interlocker, MP OAZ 204.4.

5. - (previously posted) I waited as long as I could for the CSX to send me a Southbound train at this location. I even had to protect my camera through a very brief shower, but I REALLY wanted this shot! As they say, "some days you're the bug and other days you're windshield". This just wasn't my day!

6. - I gotta believe that CSXT has gotten their moneys worth out of this old soldier! # 1101 working a cut of cars at the North end of Howell Yard in Evansville.

Date: 11/03/12 08:09

7. & 8. - A couple more shots from Howell Yard in Evansville.

9. - The causeway, on the Indiana side, approaching the bridge over the Ohio River at Henderson, KY. We could see a sliver of clear sky between the cloud deck and the Western horizon and we knew that we would get about a minute or two of sunlight just before the sun set. To hope for a Northbound (woulda settled for a Southbound too) at just the right time was just too much to ask for and it didn't happen!

Wednesday 10/23/12 was a much better day for train chasing. More on that later.

Old Bob

Date: 11/03/12 08:33
Author: agrafton

Dreary is good, nice photos considering the conditions. Well done
alan

Date: 11/03/12 09:19
Author: ironmtn

Bob, for a westerner from the wide open spaces of Nevada "you done good" with the more constrained Midwestern scenery. It becomes a whole different deal, doesn't it, what with all of the vegetation, the clutter of civilization, and the relative lack of open views? The third image (which you also posted on the western board) is terrific - beautiful use of the autumn color. Fine work, and thanks for sharing it.

Date: 11/03/12 10:36
Author: jmbreitigan

Bob, those are some great gloomy day pictures.
John

Date: 11/03/12 11:25
Author: MRS11813

I like that switcher with a big K5 horn on the roof.

Date: 11/03/12 13:07
Author: trainnut51

Curly Klappsaddle here. These are shots untouched at 8th St crossing Terre Haute In. I stayed on the opposite side as chuchubobnv (aka Elmer Klappsaddle). He photo shops, I have not learned how as I don't get out enough to work with it. But I sure do enjoy going out with Da Big and OLDER brother when we can. Some 2000 miles apart makes it rough to get together. In chuchubobnv's shot three that's our chase vehicle and me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/12 13:13 by bnsffan51.

Date: 11/03/12 17:22
Author: ns1000

GREAT set of pics!!!!! I REALLY like Pics 3 and 5.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/12 17:23 by ns1000.

Date: 11/04/12 05:38
Author: trainnut51

bnsffan51 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Curly Klappsaddle here. These are shots untouched
> at 8th St crossing Terre Haute In. I stayed on the
> opposite side as chuchubobnv (aka Elmer
> Klappsaddle). He photo shops, I have not learned
> how as I don't get out enough to work with it. But
> I sure do enjoy going out with Da Big and OLDER
> brother when we can. Some 2000 miles apart makes
> it rough to get together. In chuchubobnv's shot
> three that's our chase vehicle and me.

It seems as though I have made an error. Chuchubobnv informed me that I had the wrong crossing for my two shot's. They were taken at MP OAZ 204.4 Chaney St in Sullivan Indiana. Not as I stated above, he may be older than me but it seems that I am more confused then he is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/12 05:39 by bnsffan51.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0571 seconds