Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > ICE? I don't need any stinking ICE!

Date: 11/06/12 17:17
ICE? I don't need any stinking ICE!
Author: cinder

16 degrees was enough ice at Mance, PA this morning. However, a frigid, sunny morning gave me CSX K630, an eastbound ethanol train led by an ICE unit and two venerable Canadian engines at 9:45 am. A surprise was the helper set which remained attached on the ride down the mountain to Cumberland, MD (or at least Hyndman, PA).

A "swap meet" occurred in Cumberland as westbound K631 swapped power with sister K630 and the three EMD units headed west, passing Mance around 1:30 pm. Those three engines sure sounded sweet in notch 8 on the horseshoe curve at Mance only 3.5 hours later.

I have noticed that helpers are now often staying on westbounds to Yoder or beyond and on eastbounds to Hyndman or Cumberland. Is this a new operating plan?

Date: 11/06/12 17:19
Re: ICE? I don't need any stinking ICE!

A closer look at the head end of K631 at 1:30pm.

Date: 11/06/12 17:24
Author: DJ-12

cinder Wrote:

>
> I have noticed that helpers are now often staying
> on westbounds to Yoder or beyond and on eastbounds
> to Hyndman or Cumberland. Is this a new operating
> plan?

Makes sense if they can get more productivity and reduce the number of light moves. NS and Conrail before ran helpers all over the place between Altoona and Pittsburgh on trains in both directions...

Date: 11/06/12 17:55
Author: aussiehinz

Looks like the winds of "Sandy" (and November) have blown the trees completely bare...

Date: 11/07/12 06:56
Author: ns1000

NIIIICE pics!!!!!!

Date: 11/09/12 10:25
Author: fireman5575

who is ICE.

Jimmy Best
Thurmont, MD

Date: 11/09/12 10:31
What is ICE?

Iowa, Chicago & Eastern

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locolist.aspx?id=ICE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa,_Chicago_and_Eastern_Railroad

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0312 seconds