Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Best stacks I saw today...for those history buffs

Date: 11/09/12 15:20
Best stacks I saw today...for those history buffs
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

Went to Homestead, Pa. as youngest daughter, my close friend Rob and I have never been there. Was hoping to catch some coal coming up from the Shire Oaks area but all we got were double stacks. CSX threw us some freight but we left at around 1330 to go and eat at Pramanti Bros. for the first time as Rob offered to buy. These former "vents" for the cooling of steel really caught our eye. Pittsburgh should looks different from an industrial landscape perspective than it did back in 1980 when the lower picture was taken. Hoping to catch the Erie this weekend so any updates appreciated. Thanks to all who provided them today. Have a great weekend everyone...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/12 15:21 by Forever-Railfan-45.

Date: 11/09/12 15:54
Re: Best stacks I saw today...for those history buffs
Author: djy23

Pramanti Brothers....mmmmmm

Date: 11/09/12 17:57
Author: jmbreitigan

Carl, welcome to Pittsburg. Bummer you did not see any coal drags. At least you had a good lunch.
John

Date: 11/09/12 18:06
Author: dschlegel

I hope you had a jumbo sandwich and Primanti's #1 best seller, Iron City beer.

If anything interesting heads your way from here in eastern PA that I see I'll let you know.

Have fun!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/09/12 19:17
Author: Gonut1

They still manufacture Iron City Beer?
Brewed from slag! Gag!
Pittsburgh was a great place to visit in the early Sixties.
Gentrified now, there's even fish in the rivers.
Gonut

Date: 11/09/12 19:41
Author: RuleG

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They still manufacture Iron City Beer?
> Brewed from slag! Gag!
> Pittsburgh was a great place to visit in the early
> Sixties.
> Gentrified now, there's even fish in the rivers.
> Gonut

Iron City was my favorite beer. Its brewery was located in the Lawrenceville neighborhood just over two miles east of Penn Station along the PRR main line and the B & O P & W Subdivision.

In recent years, the Pittsburgh Brewing Company was facing financial difficulties and the City of Pittsburgh made some kind of deal on payment of the water bill. Unfortunately, Pittsburgh Brewing decided to relocate its operations from Pittsburgh to the former Rolling Rock brewery in Latrobe, about 30 miles east of Pittsburgh without paying off its water bill. I rarely drink it any more.

Not all of Pittsburgh is gentrified and I feel its a wonderful City.

Date: 11/09/12 20:31
Author: zzzzz

Before I rant, nice pictures and folks familiar with Pittsburgh know how can you make your own Pirmanti Brothers sandwiches at home I hope. Growing up in a family of steel workers, seeing those stacks being treated as a art project makes me sick. I don't like the new Pittsburgh, but I do know that times have changed and it won't be coming back. I just hope they can bring back the mills at Weirton and Mingo Junction before they disappear like all the ones that stretched from the Youngstown/Warren Metropolitian area south. You never had a gym at a mill like they do at some of these white collar places now, I wonder why.LOL PS: IC Light is garbage, get some King Cool Light and better yet, some non light Straub.

Date: 11/10/12 22:34
Author: alco539

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They still manufacture Iron City Beer?
> Brewed from slag! Gag!
> Pittsburgh was a great place to visit in the early
> Sixties.
> Gentrified now, there's even fish in the rivers.
> Gonut

IRON GUT BEER, YUK.!!

GIMME A YEUNGLING BLACK & TAN.!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/12 22:37 by alco539.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0539 seconds