Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Hiking around Huntington, WV

Date: 11/11/12 03:50
Hiking around Huntington, WV
Author: bandob

On Saturday, November 3, I took a little hike around Huntington, to see what could be seen of railroad operations.

I began with lunch at MacReedo's, a bar/pub at the corner of 7th Avenue and 8th Street.

#1 A westbound rolls over the 8th St. bridge.

#2 The former C&O Depot is part of Division headquarters, and retains the latter function today.

#3 Open observation car on one of the stub tracks at the depot/HQ. Looks like this was formerly on display in Orlando, FL. I do not know the history or future plans for the car. Were these stub tracks used for set-out sleeping cars in the C&O heyday?

B&OBill

Date: 11/11/12 03:52
Re: Hiking around Huntington, WV

Next, a walk to the Amtrak Station on 8th Avenue yielded some views of a CSX light power move.

B&OB

Date: 11/11/12 03:56

The station itself, and from the platform looking East. Passenger cars in the south Yard awaiting tomorrow's50 and 51 could be seen in the distance.

Collis P. Huntington Railroad Historical Society office is along 8th Avenue.

B&OB

Date: 11/11/12 04:04

Not from the hike, but a few days before, I had been able to see some of the Society's equipment. Several former VRE coaches will be restored for excursion service, hopefully including future New River Trains.

This CSX business car was also noted. I do not know its current ownership or any plans for the future.

Coach George C. Davis was having wheel work, and rested on temporary trucks.

B&OB

Date: 11/11/12 04:08

I crossed back under the trucks on 10th Street and walked East along 7th Avenue. I took a few shots between buildings, using my telephoto to avoid trespassing.

B&OB

Date: 11/11/12 04:11

I reached the diesel shop, and got these views with telephoto from the street. Lots of Marshall fans were in the area, with a home game that afternoon against Memphis.

My walk back into town would be along 3rd Avenue, through all the tailgaters.

B&OB

Date: 11/11/12 04:15

My last three shots before turning back.

There is a bridge over the tracks further East at 29th Street, but that would have to wait for another visit to this interesting railroad town.

B&OB

Date: 11/11/12 04:45
Author: jmbreitigan

very interesting photos. Thanks for sharing your hike. Looking forward to your next one.
John

Date: 11/11/12 06:05
Author: RNinRVR

Very enjoyable photo trip around that wonderful railroad town. When I rode 50 several years ago we picked up 2 CPH cars for the trip east. The Amtrak does all the switching to get them on the back.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 11/11/12 07:17
Author: GP35

Great pictures! Thanks for the tour around Huntington. Don't see that many postings on here from this city.

Date: 11/11/12 07:24
Author: dbrcnw

Nice photos.

Is the "U Boat" painted green and white for Marshall still around? Probably not, as I'm certain you would have photographed it if you saw same.

Dale

Date: 11/11/12 07:59

Dale, I did not see a green UBoat anywhere. You bet I would have tried to get a photo.

I just found this photo from the ealy morning of October 28, showing the other side of the open observation car. While the one side is pristine, this one has badly faded and peeling paint. Must be a consequence of how its was displayed in Orlando, unless the one side has been repainted.

B&OB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/12 08:14 by bandob.

Date: 11/12/12 05:24
Author: fireman74

Could it have been to close to a fire? Look at the awning as well as the paint. Just a thought.

Date: 11/12/12 09:15

I see what you mean. Anybody know?

B&OB

Posted from iPhone

[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2476 seconds