Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > "Older Power" sort of...

Date: 11/17/12 11:05
"Older Power" sort of...
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

Good afternoon everyone; hope the weekend is treating you well. Had plans on going to Homestead, Pa. to catch the Lackawanna but youngest daughter has to work and I see that the Lackawanna is still down by Shire Oaks. So instead I got a call from a friend that two Conrail SD50's still in Conrail paint were working Canton yard on 12V. I went down to Canton yard but was unable to get close without trespassing. When I turned around to get into my vehicle I observed what is in the pictures at the entrance to Eslich Wrecking. Was stunned actually to still see a genuine Fairbanks Morse diesel engine. Can anyone she any light on what this engine powered at one time. Hope you enjoy seeing some history in these pictures. Please have a safe and enjoyable Sunday everyone. Thanks, Carl

Date: 11/17/12 18:24
Re: "Older Power" sort of...
Author: aquasquash

I believe that that was in a diesel electric drag line operated by the James Brothers Coal Company in the Mineral City,Ohio area. I will ask my father.I know that they had three in operation when I was a kid.

Date: 11/17/12 18:41
Author: QDTower

The ex-Conrails were NOT on 12V. They are still in Canton.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/18/12 04:05
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

I would appreciate ANY information on that Fairbanks Morse engine. Also I was informed that 12V was working the yard before going east. Wish I could of got some pictures of those...

Date: 11/18/12 04:59
Author: kgmontreal

That's not an FM loco engine. It's not an opposed piston design. It is the kind often used in stationary power plants.

KG

Date: 11/18/12 15:56
Author: alco539

kgmontreal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's not an FM loco engine. It's not an opposed
> piston design. It is the kind often used in
> stationary power plants.
>
> KG

Yeah, I see that it is a straight six cylinder, but they look like some BIG pistons.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds