Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Thanksgiving shutdown?

Date: 11/20/12 13:11
Thanksgiving shutdown?
Author: tp117

Do any informed folks on this thread know if there is going to be a partial or full shutdown on CSX and NS in the Mid-Atlantic Region? Some years it has been done, others not, to give the hard working railroaders a deserved rest. And the old folks who watch the trains can get some things done as well.

Date: 11/20/12 13:44
Re: Thanksgiving shutdown?
Author: farmer

CSX will be business as usual other than local jobs if they can get crews.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/20/12 13:49
Author: GregR27

Date: 11/20/12 22:21
Author: 1976

I'm not going after anyone, I just really want to know since these questions come up on every major holiday, on all the forums: Why does anyone care what trains are running on Thanksgiving or Christmas? Those are two days I wouldn't even think about watching trains as there are other things to do.

Date: 11/21/12 04:34
Author: moltensulphur

Well, let's see. We have a nation with a population of about 300 million people. Now do ya' think one or two may have other ideas than you, of what to do on Thanksgiving or on Christmas day?

Date: 11/21/12 07:19
Author: wabash2800

And yes, they might want to do something they like to do on their day off before or after the big meal and maybe with family members who also like to watch trains.

moltensulphur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, let's see. We have a nation with a
> population of about 300 million people. Now do ya'
> think one or two may have other ideas than you, of
> what to do on Thanksgiving or on Christmas day?

Date: 11/21/12 08:49
Author: sonderweg

I don't know if anyone was saying they wanted to railfan on Thanksgiving (though I suppose some do). Personally, I was curious if (or when) normal activity would resume on Friday, which isn't a holiday but a day which I have off from work nonetheless.

Date: 11/21/12 10:59
Author: tp117

Since I posed the question, I'll give my answer to 1976. I live in Delaware, my son is in Chicago and my married daughter in Denver. My father died in 1998 and my 99 year old mother has dementia, and is confined to the nursing home. I'll visit her, but she may not know it. So its just the wife of 41 years who will cook a very reduced traditional dinner. So I could watch trains if I wanted, and plan to check progress on several new RR developments in the area.

Also, as a retired professional railroader, I personally think RRs should shutdown as much as possible for major holidays to give their employees a break. About ninety percent of RR employees are subject to duty all hours of the day and days of the week, and most holidays, and 80 percent work outside some or all the time.

For Christmas we will be in Denver, but I have found out that BNSF's main east of Denver did not shut down last Christmas. I guess Powder River coal ain't religious.

One thing that does not shut down here is Amtrak of course, and river traffic. But except for the river pilots most crews on international ships do not celebrate either holiday anyway. And Amtrak is boring, the only thing I will watch there is the occasional NS freight, if they do run one.

Oh, I forgot to mention the cat left Sep 20, so there's nothing to pet either. So if no trains are running I'll probably try to change the blade on Dad's 35 year old table saw which is now outside since it will be 60F tomorrow. Exciting Thanksgiving!

I hope yours is better.

Date: 11/21/12 13:02
Author: 1976

tp117 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since I posed the question, I'll give my answer to
> 1976. I live in Delaware, my son is in Chicago and
> my married daughter in Denver. My father died in
> 1998 and my 99 year old mother has dementia, and
> is confined to the nursing home. I'll visit her,
> but she may not know it. So its just the wife of
> 41 years who will cook a very reduced traditional
> dinner. So I could watch trains if I wanted, and
> plan to check progress on several new RR
> developments in the area.
>
> Also, as a retired professional railroader, I
> personally think RRs should shutdown as much as
> possible for major holidays to give their
> employees a break. About ninety percent of RR
> employees are subject to duty all hours of the day
> and days of the week, and most holidays, and 80
> percent work outside some or all the time.
>
> For Christmas we will be in Denver, but I have
> found out that BNSF's main east of Denver did not
> shut down last Christmas. I guess Powder River
> coal ain't religious.
>
> One thing that does not shut down here is Amtrak
> of course, and river traffic. But except for the
> river pilots most crews on international ships do
> not celebrate either holiday anyway. And Amtrak is
> boring, the only thing I will watch there is the
> occasional NS freight, if they do run one.
>
> Oh, I forgot to mention the cat left Sep 20, so
> there's nothing to pet either. So if no trains are
> running I'll probably try to change the blade on
> Dad's 35 year old table saw which is now outside
> since it will be 60F tomorrow. Exciting
> Thanksgiving!
>
> I hope yours is better.

Thank you for the sensible reply. I think those that jump in and condemn me for asking have probably never even been in the business over a holiday.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0698 seconds