Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Thanksgiving 2012 in Erie, PA.

Date: 11/27/12 06:06
Thanksgiving 2012 in Erie, PA.
Author: jmbreitigan

Good Morning, on Thanksgiving day we left early to visit our son and his family. We left a little early because I wanted to stop by the GE plant and look around for anything interesting. It was a beautiful day and just as I was crossing the bridge over the tracks on Franklin ave. I looked to the left and saw a single locomotive set off on a siding. It was a brand new ES44AC in Kansas City Southern paint. I looked at my wife and said we have never seen a KCS in person let alone brand new. But she said we are dressed up for Thanksgiving dinner. I said but I put old shoes in the trunk. Can we please look at it. She finally relented. We turned off Franklin ave. unto a dirt road and then changed shoes and walked down to look at KCS #4793. I saw no signs posted against trespassing, just a sign posted against dumping. Cool to take some pictures up close.
To view all of the pictures I took, visit http://www.pbase.com/jmbreitigan/ge_plant.

The next day was cold and blustery and mostly cloudy and my son and two of his daughters along with me and my wife drove to the Lake Shore Railroad Museum in North East, PA. The museum was closed but we walked around a little and got to see a CSX train go by which was a big treat for the two grandchildren.

1. Wedge shot of KCS #4793

2. Head on shot.

3. With the growth in the foreground and some imagination this could be Kansas : )

A Few More...............

Date: 11/27/12 06:12
Re: Thanksgiving 2012 in Erie, PA.

4. Not a great shot but this is looking west with a clear signal shown for what I believe is #1 main. Does anyone know what type signal these are?

5. This is what the clear signal was for. Our grandchildren wave as the train roars by at track speed. The engineer did wave back and blew the horn for the girls. It made their day. Track side with family, "Priceless"

Thanks for looking, John

Date: 11/27/12 06:17
Author: NSHorseheadSD70

Those are what most people refer to as 'G Type' signals. I love doing the Erie area. Fast trains and friendly crews. I always see a good variety of power, especially with Q090 the 'Salad Shooter' which always has UP power.

Chris Tokarcik
Morgantown, WV

Date: 11/27/12 06:20

NSHorseheadSD70 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those are what most people refer to as 'G Type'
> signals. I love doing the Erie area. Fast trains
> and friendly crews. I always see a good variety of
> power, especially with Q090 the 'Salad Shooter'
> which always has UP power.

Thank you Chris.
John

Date: 11/27/12 06:21
Author: mkostecky

Yes, that is indeed track 1.

Date: 11/27/12 06:39
Author: Out_Of_Service

is that a "Little Joe" electric i see peeking out beyond the station building ... nice photos John

Date: 11/27/12 07:38
Author: mkostecky

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
> is that a "Little Joe" electric i see peeking out
> beyond the station building ... nice photos John

Yes it is, painted Chicago South Shore and South Bend, IIRC.

Date: 11/27/12 09:40
Author: electromac

OUTSTANDING! THANK YOU...........

Date: 11/27/12 10:03
Author: richc

Being from Erie and an-ex GE employee now railroad employee, I can tell you that it was unusual in the past for that unit to sit out without a security person close by. At times there was a GE security guard in the cab. Good pics and memories of 20+ years sitting around the N+W, NYC, NS, Conrail watching trains fly thru North East. It's been almost (5) years since my last visit but it's still a hot spot.

Date: 11/27/12 15:19

Thanks fellows.
John

Date: 11/27/12 16:00
Author: agrafton

Nice Thanksgiving dessert!

Date: 11/27/12 16:26
Author: MT14L

During the TWO weekends immediately after Thanksgiving, Lake Shore has its annual "Christmas at the Station" event. Week one is past, but week two is on its way. Flier for event attached. I'm surprised you didn't see more of a mess around the museum as the volunteers were scurrying to get everything set up!

Date: 11/27/12 17:22
Author: jim6300loco

Super pics john,
jim

Date: 11/27/12 20:11

MT14L Wrote:
> During the TWO weekends immediately after
> Thanksgiving, Lake Shore has its annual "Christmas
> at the Station" event. Week one is past, but week
> two is on its way. Flier for event attached. I'm
> surprised you didn't see more of a mess around the
> museum as the volunteers were scurrying to get
> everything set up!

I did see some people inside the station but that is about it. Thanks for the flyer. I told my son about it.
John

Date: 11/27/12 20:11

agrafton Wrote:
> Nice Thanksgiving dessert!

The best : )

Date: 11/27/12 20:12

jim6300loco Wrote:
> Super pics john,
> jim

Glad you enjoyed them Jim.
John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0685 seconds