Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > No Heritage, but two ex-CR SD70s leading, for me today

Date: 11/28/12 18:51
No Heritage, but two ex-CR SD70s leading, for me today
Author: toledopatch

As I expected (see discussion about 22W yesterday), there were no NS Heritage units within reach for me on my off-day today -- especially since the 'mostly sunny' day much more strongly resembled 'variably cloudy' -- but I did scoop a morning parade of three eastbounds on the NS Toledo District in the Oak Harbor/Fremont area, then caught another valuable eastbound late in the afternoon in that same area after nearly giving up because of cloud cover.

1) NS #68K, ethanol loads for Selma, North Carolina, crosses the Portage River in Oak Harbor, Ohio on its way from Toledo to Bellevue, OH, where it tied down in Klines Yard. It was at Klines as of about 12:30p, I don't know if it has departed.

2) NS #178, Detroit/Oakwood to Bellevue manifest, has a no-widenoses lashup led by ex-Conrail SD70 2570, followed by SD40-2 1651, GP38-2 5233, and SD70 2575 as it passes the remains of the Pioneer Sugar plant in Fremont, Ohio. Having shot all of the 2557-2580 series when they were Conrail blue, I'm now trying to get all of them in NS black. Hearing radio chatter indicating the 2570 would lead the #178 out of Toledo, combined with the #68K's departure from town, led me over to the Toledo District today instead of going down to North Baltimore to chase CSX trains.

3) NS #344, Toledo-Bellevue manifest, offers a pleasant surprise: another member of the final Conrail fleet, SD70 2564 on the point ahead of a BNSF GE. This train sat for well over an hour west of Oak Harbor while the B31 local switched a couple of customers between Oak Harbor and Fremont, then crawled east, giving me time to recover from a couple of cloud-f's before I got this sunny shot at Sewell, Ohio.

I read on HeritageUnits.com that the "Wabash" NS 1070 has been spotted at Watkins Yard in Columbus as the westernmost of a string of locos at the engine terminal. Perhaps I'll get lucky and it will lead a train through Toledo during my lunch break tomorrow, though based on what I saw today -- no westbounds on the Toledo District at an appropriate time of day -- my chance of that happening is probably only slightly better than my Powerball ticket winning.

UPDATED TO ADD: The NS 1070 went to Bellevue overnight. The Grapes say it may be on #307 this afternoon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/12 08:20 by toledopatch.

Date: 11/28/12 19:14
Re: No Heritage, but two ex-CR SD70s leading, for me to
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

Nice change of pace...good looking pictures and glad your day chase paid off.

Date: 11/28/12 20:15
Author: ns1000

NICE pics!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 11/28/12 20:16
Author: MDH

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2) NS #178, Detroit/Oakwood to Bellevue manifest...

With full credit to Toledopatch for suggesting I take an "early lunch" here's my shot of the NS 178 rolling under the signals at Vickers (CP 285, NS Chicago line on the east side of Toledo, OH) a bit before Toledopatch had his turn on the Toledo District.

Thanks,
Michael

Date: 11/29/12 02:04
Author: NSClevelandLine

Love pic 3. So much going on in the photo to me.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/29/12 02:33
Author: RockIsland4310

The "Toledo Two" score again.

Date: 11/29/12 08:09
Author: CGTower

Sounds like something off of America's Most Wanted...

CG Tower

RockIsland4310 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The "Toledo Two" score again.

Date: 11/29/12 12:37
Author: 1976

2570's Conrail numberboards rock.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0636 seconds