Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Conrail Shared Assets Browns Yard Santa Train

Date: 12/09/12 15:19
Conrail Shared Assets Browns Yard Santa Train
Author: OCtrainguy

On Saturday, December 8th, the 26th Annual Browns Yard Santa Train ran from Browns Yard in Sayreville (NJ) to Freehold (NJ) and then back to Jamesburg (NJ). This is ex-PRR trackage. The Jamesburg volunteer fire department started the santa train in 1986 and then a few years later the Conrail employees got the Freehold police department involved, and the trip was extended to Freehold. Those involved in running the train volunteer their time to make this happen, and each child gets a small gift from Santa. So, special thanks goes to the Conrail employees, Freehold and Freehold Twp. police and the Jamesburg fire department for making this train happen. The line in Freehold keeps getting longer and longer to see Santa.

I had to put some time in at work yesterday morning, due to a heavy workload and a system migration that slowed us down for two days. So, I wasn't able to get out as early as I hoped. The train was making good time on its eastward journey and I missed the train by a mere minute in Englishtown, so I headed to Monmouth Battlefield State Park. This year's consist included CSX GP40-2 4403. NS GP38-2 5294 and a red Conrail numbered caboose. As far as I know, this is the only time of year this caboose is used.

Onto my photos. The first three are from Monmouth Battlefield State Park, where Route 522 runs alongside the park for a bit.
1. Here is the train with CSX GP40-2 4403 leading and a wave from Santa.
2. NS GP38-2 5294 is the other engine defining shared assets here.
3. Conrail caboose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/12 15:20 by OCtrainguy.

Date: 12/09/12 15:21
Re: Conrail Shared Assets Browns Yard Santa Train

Once in Freehold, the train makes a stop at Builders General Supply Co. (a customer) where the Conrail employees coordinate the train's final approach to the ex-PRR Freehold station. There are a few grade crossings that need to be flagged and protected. Here are three more photos from Freehold. I just wish the weather was better, though it didn't rain for the kids and Santa.

1. Santa checking out his view from the lead engine as the train gets ready to depart Builders General.
2. The train is now parked and Santa has begun to see the long line of children waiting for him.
3. The whole reason everyone is there, to see Santa.

Hope you enjoy!

Date: 12/09/12 16:34
Author: Train-a-Mania

Thanks for sharing this.

How often do trains use this line?

Nick Ozorak

Date: 12/09/12 16:41
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for this series of pictures. This train is a very big deal for the crews in the area, and obviously for the kids. Finding two clean locomotives from the owners is a huge plus.

I have to get down that sometime. What kind of activity is likely?

Date: 12/09/12 18:05

The line is served about twice per week. Monday is usually a pretty good day and I think the other day is usually a Wednesday.

Date: 12/09/12 19:00
Author: Lackawanna484

OCtrainguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The line is served about twice per week. Monday
> is usually a pretty good day and I think the other
> day is usually a Wednesday.

thank you

Date: 12/10/12 06:46
Author: CShaveRR

Dear Santa,

I would like a new drawbridge, please.

Love,
CSAO

Carl Shaver
Lombard, IL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0788 seconds