Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Ohio Central Newark Yard Question

Date: 12/15/12 10:08
Ohio Central Newark Yard Question
Author: conraildan2

I was reading on Railwayage.com that the OC is getting $2 million dollars to expand and update their yard in Newark, OH. Does this mean they are going to add a lot more track to the facility??

Date: 12/15/12 11:12
Re: Ohio Central Newark Yard Question
Author: mhiser

I believe the work was already been completed this past summer. Check out the Google view of the yard and you can see most of the completed track work.

Date: 12/15/12 11:28
Author: PowellWye

Yes it already completed. Basically restored the east end of the yard and added a switching lead, so the yard can be worked from the east and still leave the "mainline" to Zanesville open.

Date: 12/15/12 15:48
Author: Heath_Tower

Glad to see expansion at the old Newark Yard, it's still a far cry from the way it was in the 70's while
growing up in Central Ohio.

I'd ride my bicycle to the west end of the yard and sit at the bench by the old section house and watch the
action. Even at that time, only the west end was regularly switched, the east end having many stored
boxcars.

Date: 12/16/12 13:34
Author: wlohmark

This has again become a major yard in the area. It serves all of the Gennesee and Wyoming- Ohio Central operations in the region. With two active landfills- Apex and Tunnel Hill, the cities of Mount Vernon, Newark, Coshocton, Zanesville and Cambridge plus East Columbus all being serviced from Newark Yard. And, there is a recently announced addition of a Liguified Natural Gas facility on the Panhandle Line that will add another 10,000 loads per year. There is also talk of other oil and gas related projects in the area that could add additional traffic. Altogether it adds up to about 110,000 loads per year through Newark Yard each year. Throw in the unit stone and CSX K trains and Newark has become a hopping place.

Date: 12/17/12 09:24
Author: bluesboyst

How does most of the freight get to Newark Yard?

Steve

Date: 12/17/12 12:06
Author: wlohmark

There are turns to CSX Parsons Yard and to NS Watkins Yard in Columbus. These are the primary interchange points/feeders for Newark Yard. The Ohio Central can also interchange with NS at Mingo Junction at the east end of the Panhandle line and with CSX at Warwick on the original Ohio Central line.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0326 seconds