Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > MGA 8025 on the Manor Branch

Date: 12/17/12 18:07
MGA 8025 on the Manor Branch
Author: SDP40F600

My opportunities to photograph Norfolk Southern heritage locomotives are fewer and farther between than I’d like. Even rarer are my opportunities to catch one on the units on a line formerly owned by the railroad to which the locomotive pays homage.

So when my friend Adam and I learned that NS 8025 – the Monongahela unit – had been assigned to helper service on ex-Monongahela rails, we made tracks for southwestern Pennsylvania on Sunday morning.

We had photographed Mon line operations in West Brownsville, even catching the New York Central and Savannah & Atlanta heritage locomotives leading a train down the street last June. But we had never seen, let alone photographed, the Manor Branch or any other ex-Mon line south of West Brownsville.

Adam did some crash research and plotted a route that would follow the tracks from the Bailey Mine to Waynesburg. We got to the area about 10:30 a.m. and drove along the tracks toward the mine.

We could have wished for better weather. The skies were overcast and unlikely to change. The gray and browns of winter added little color. But we didn’t have the luxury of waiting for better weather. Either we got the MGA 8025 on this Sunday or we didn’t get it at all. This might be our only opportunity to catch this locomotive on former Monongahela rails.

We caught our first break when Adam spotted the helper units idling behind a low concrete wall near the mine. The 8025 was paired with the NS 8016.

A CSX coal train was a few hundred feet closer to the mine and inching its way toward the helpers. Had we arrived 10 or so minutes later we would have missed the helper units because the CSX train would have blocked them from our view.

We drove around a bit to explore the area. I dug out my radio and around 11 a.m. the Mon Line dispatcher gave the CSX train a track warrant. Subsequent conversations between the head end and the helpers indicated that the helpers were tied on and ready to roll. And so were we.

(1) Much to our delight, the 8025 was facing away from the train. I didn’t write down the locations of all of our photo spots, but this is along Martin Road or Crouse Road.

(2) Further down the line, we are along Crouse Road and the train is passing through a cut.

(3) The same location, but looking in the opposite direction.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/12 04:12 by SDP40F600.

Date: 12/17/12 18:09
Re: MGA 8025 on the Manor Branch

(4) A grab shot on a road whose name I neglected to record.

(5) The head end of the CSX coal train with the CSX 59 in the lead rounds a curve as it approaches Hopewell Ridge Road

(6) A going away shot from the crossing of Hopewell Ridge Road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/12 18:17 by SDP40F600.

Date: 12/17/12 18:11

(7) The helpers cut off at Sycamore. Both the CSX train and the helpers had to wait for an NS train of empty hoppers en route to Bailey Mine to pass. We caught that NS train at Ingram Hill Road.

(8) The helpers moved on to the Waynesburg yard where the crew tied them down and turned them off. A local railfan was there photographing the units and said a trainmaster had told him that the NS train we had seen going to Bailey Mine would not load until about midnight.

(9) With no more trains to help for several hours, the helpers will be off duty for awhile.

After getting some last photos of the 8025, we made a foray to the Cumberland Mine, where all was quiet and a gang was out doing track work. We then headed for Sheetz in Waynesburg for a late lunch.

Date: 12/17/12 18:18
Author: bnsf7512

Man those are some sweet shot's.

Date: 12/18/12 02:38
Author: RockIsland4310

Glad it worked out for you and AB.

Date: 12/18/12 04:43
Author: jmbreitigan

Glad your trip was not in vane. The weather was not co-operative but you got the MGA unit. I like how you got those hay bales in your shot at Hopewell Ridge road.
John

Date: 12/18/12 06:02
Author: bridgeportsub

I know exactly where you were in shots #2 and #3.I parked there and got those same shots on Saturday. Randy

Date: 12/18/12 16:01
Author: ns1000

SUPER pics!!!! Thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0612 seconds