Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > MAJOR CRASH AT ROSEDALE, MD

Current Page:1 of 6

Date: 05/28/13 11:27
MAJOR CRASH AT ROSEDALE, MD
Author: BaltoJoey

BREAKING NEWS, MAJOR TRAIN CRASH AT ROSEDALE, MD ON CSX LINE.

Date: 05/28/13 11:33
Re: MAJOR CRASH AT ROSEDALE, MD
Author: sonderweg

Date: 05/28/13 11:36
Author: TechnologyJeske

Date: 05/28/13 11:37
Author: jgmiller

CNN has the brilliant headline "Train tracks are on fire".

Date: 05/28/13 11:39
Author: dcorreia

It looks like the train hit a truck at a crossing. WBAL live video is showing a lot of debris next to the cars and a truck and trailer upside down.

Date: 05/28/13 11:42
Author: BaltoJoey

I live on the East side of Baltimore City. I heard the explosion and my apartment building shook..
When I looked out my window. I saw a greyish mushroom cloud over to the Northeast direction.
I thought one of the oil tanks on Erdman Avenue had blown up!

I am about 2 miles, as the crow flies, from that location.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/13 13:32 by BaltoJoey.

Date: 05/28/13 11:55
Author: tp117

I heard this developing on Wilm radio net, about 1430. Officials are there. A conversation here said a dump truck on the tracks was hit by Q409 and the BE told the crew to get away from it after the explosion. This is at a RR location known as 'Dump Road'.

Date: 05/28/13 11:55
Author: MEKoch

Can't tell what is on fire. Looks like grain or plastic hopper cars in that part of train. Train stopped about 20 car lengths from crossing. You can see ground up pieces of the truck and its contents along the right-of-way. This is an private crossing used principally by the trucks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/13 12:03 by MEKoch.

Date: 05/28/13 11:59
Author: toledopatch

Hoppers with ammonium nitrate, maybe? Can't think of anything else common in hoppers that would go up like that.

Edited to add: If a sodium chlorate load in the train is what blew, this Wikipedia citation suggests it would have had to mix with something else: "Sodium chlorate comes in dust, spray and granule formulations. There is a risk of fire and explosion in dry mixtures with other substances, especially organic materials, and other herbicides, sulfur, phosphorus, powdered metals, strong acids. In particular, when mixed with sugar, it has explosive properties."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/13 14:42 by toledopatch.

Date: 05/28/13 12:12
Author: tp117

got time wrong news report said 202pm. I do not see the locos so they must have been able to cut away to safety thank God. Looks like appx 15 cars derailed. I believe, once propane has exploded, they will just let the 33,000 gallons burn off, don't know if the plastic pellets in the Ch's can be doused or not.

Date: 05/28/13 12:13
Author: Cumbresfan

Watching live video. Saying truck was a trash truck. Video shows the wall of the adjacent warehouse blown out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/13 12:14 by Cumbresfan.

Date: 05/28/13 12:13
Author: elu34ch

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can't tell what is on fire. Looks like grain or plastic hopper cars in that part of train. Train
> stopped about 20 car lengths from crossing. You can see ground up pieces of the truck and its
> contents along the right-of-way. This is an private crossing used principally by the trucks.

Tractor cab mangled badly

Date: 05/28/13 12:22
Author: dcorreia

Here is a link to Google Maps showing the derailment site. The walls of the warehouse was in fact blown off.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.311291,-76.522774&spn=0.003731,0.005682&t=h&deg=270&z=18

Date: 05/28/13 12:31
Author: NS1030

Well from what I can see that was not a tractor trailer semi truck, It is a rolloff truck hauling trash.

Ron Dunker
Elkhart, IN

Date: 05/28/13 12:38
Author: Trains247

how on google maps can you take a "snap shot" of the area your looking at and email/post it? Anyone have instruction on how to do that?

Date: 05/28/13 12:44
Author: chrsjrcj

Trains247 Wrote:
> how on google maps can you take a "snap shot" of
> the area your looking at and email/post it? Anyone
> have instruction on how to do that?

On left side of screen, notice (from left to right) "Get Directions", "My Places", an icon which is a printer, then a fourth icon that looks like a rectangle with a line in the middle....click that fourth icon and it gives you the url to copy and paste.

Date: 05/28/13 12:44
Author: 5-String

Trains247 Wrote:
> how on google maps can you take a "snap shot" of
> the area your looking at and email/post it? Anyone
> have instruction on how to do that?

You could try the Print Screen button then paste into MS Paint then save as jpg.

Date: 05/28/13 12:47
Author: Out_Of_Service

grain will combust just like ammonium nitrate

Date: 05/28/13 12:50
Author: toledopatch

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
> grain will combust just like ammonium nitrate

I would think you'd need to have a lot more grain dust than would be present in a single covered hopper to get an explosion of the severity described, though.

Date: 05/28/13 12:52
Author: Trains247

thanks a bunch worked perfectly. Greatly appreciated

Current Page:1 of 6

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0558 seconds