Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Rosedale update available?

Date: 05/29/13 16:25
Rosedale update available?
Author: tp117

Thanks to BaltoJoey's initial post on this accident. But it has deteroiated after over 90 inputs to where there is no new info on the accident. I tried the WBAL thread but I guess today it is not exciting enough to cover by air. Our Wilmington Radio net only goes as far south as the detector at MP 68 and that is barely audible. ATCS still shows both tracks still red (occupied or out) and I know a bunch of our Wilsmere MofW guys went down there early this morning.

So, does anyone know when the fire was out, and if it was allowed to burn off or successfully doused, about what time. Then the cars had to cool down, and cleanout begin. When was the rear of Q409 pulled away....I think I heard a crew leave here early AM for that. There is a Q217 on 4tk here at Wilsmere with about 80 MLs.

Date: 05/29/13 18:00
Re: Rosedale update available?
Author: toledopatch

Well, the second-hand rumor I've heard is that CSX expects to get one track reopened late tonight.

Date: 05/29/13 19:36
Author: Poker2662

I don't have an update, but here is the video of the train hitting the truck (not claiming the rights to these videos in any way):

Hitting truck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKyuaGbAYFY
Derailment and explosion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2hkO2XD7dQ&sns=fb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/13 19:58 by Poker2662.

Date: 05/29/13 23:24
Author: mukinduri

Well these videos make clear what happened. The crossing has no flashing lights or barriers and the truck did not stop or even slow down before driving across the tracks! The train strikes the rear of the truck. The train did not derail upon impact.

I'm surprised (actually shocked) that nobody nearby went to help the truck driver after the accidnet. You can see people walking about and cars driving past as if nothing had happened.

The second video shows derailed cars being dragged behind the locomotives (or whatever you want to call them) being dragged along in a cloud of dust. Presumably the cars derailed when the train went into emergency. After the train comes to a stop smoke can be seen coming from the position of the derailed cars.

I'm impressed that the crew managed to uncouple the engines and pull clear before everything went up in a huge fireball.

Date: 05/30/13 02:10
Author: BaltoJoey

mukinduri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well these videos make clear what happened. The
> crossing has no flashing lights or barriers and
> the truck did not stop or even slow down before
> driving across the tracks! The train strikes the
> rear of the truck. The train did not derail upon
> impact.
>
> I'm surprised (actually shocked) that nobody
> nearby went to help the truck driver after the
> accidnet. You can see people walking about and
> cars driving past as if nothing had happened.
>
> The second video shows derailed cars being dragged
> behind the locomotives (or whatever you want to
> call them) being dragged along in a cloud of dust.
> Presumably the cars derailed when the train went
> into emergency. After the train comes to a stop
> smoke can be seen coming from the position of the
> derailed cars.
>
> I'm impressed that the crew managed to uncouple
> the engines and pull clear before everything went
> up in a huge fireball.

The people from the truck repair company did go and do what they
could to rescue the driver of the truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKbIClvH7W8

Date: 05/30/13 03:00
Author: BaltoJoey

Poker2662 Wrote:
> I don't have an update, but here is the video of
> the train hitting the truck (not claiming the
> rights to these videos in any way):
>
> Hitting truck:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKyuaGbAYFY
> Derailment and explosion:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2hkO2XD7dQ&sns=fb

The second video, I believe, shows some very important bits of information.
At the 40 second mark, an employee comes out of the building. He turns his head
toward the crossing a couple of times. I think he is turning his head because he
hears the train sounding it's horn for the crossing.
At the 57 second mark, the camera is shaken by the force of the collision.
That is 17 seconds between the apparent sounding of
the horn and the collision.

BaltoJoey

Date: 05/30/13 08:10

I cannot get these videos to download. If they are highlighted in blue they do, but copying and pasting in the search bar on my computer is not working.

also, trains can derail when they go into emergency, but usually happens to long trains strung out thru horizontal and verticle curves. This was a small train on straight track, but it is a 0.80 descending grade there. the NTSB will find out.

Date: 05/30/13 13:14
Author: Poker2662

tp117 Wrote:
> I cannot get these videos to download. If they are
> highlighted in blue they do, but copying and
> pasting in the search bar on my computer is not
> working.

Not sure why the link is not working for you, so in your case, just search ( #1 ORIGINAL EXCLUSIVE video of Baltimore, MD train & truck accident ) on Youtube.
This search should take you to a page with a list of videos that now includes 3 different videos from the derailment site.

Date: 05/30/13 16:28

Thanks for your help. I asked my son to find a way to access the links. The videos are awesome. Sort of obvious to me that the derailment was caused by debrise from the truck derailing the last truck of tf the first car, a CSX box, ot the following empty Bulkhead flat. All the cars up to the loaded sodium chlorate car were empty, as well as the following tank car, but it could have had residue of some flammable product. But a wreck at that speed will cause a lot of friction and sparks ignighting anything abvailable that could be ignited.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0742 seconds