Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Rails to Keene, NH?

Date: 07/02/13 15:07
Rails to Keene, NH?
Author: Torisgod

I am wondering what, if any, railroad lines serve the Keene, New Hampshire area, and how often they are used. I am a stranger in a strange land: I live in Eugene, Oregon and I am currently at a (non-railfan) friend's summer cottage on Spofford Lake. From the house, I occasionally hear some distant bursts of whistle. What track am I hearing? Am I hearing trains in the Keene area or the 5-mile-away New England Central route used by the "Vermonter"? I would like some insight.

Tor in Spofford, NH

Date: 07/02/13 15:30
Re: Rails to Keene, NH?
Author: toledopatch

There's nothing active in Keene, and if you're hearing multiple whistles per day, you're almost certainly hearing traffic on the Conn River line.

http://www.nhrra.org/resources/map.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/13 15:30 by toledopatch.

Date: 07/02/13 17:09
Author: sums007

Keene used to be on the B&M's Cheshire Division, I believe. There were several passenger trains through there back in the day.

Date: 07/02/13 18:24
Author: rcall31060

Keene was served by the Boston and Maine RR, as mentioned above. It was on the B&M's Cheshire branch, that diverged from their East/West Fitchburg Div. main, at Winchendon, MA and ran NW, through Keene, on to Bellows Falls, VT.

Keene was also served by a B&M branch off their North/South Connecticut River line, that headed NE, to Keene. It was called the Aushelot Branch. There was also another B&M branch, that headed east, out of Keene, that was abandoned in the 1930's (?), because severe flooding had washed out much of the roadbed. Can't recall the name of that branch.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no rails in Keene, today.

Bob Callahan
Monticello, IN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/13 21:19 by rcall31060.

Date: 07/02/13 20:59
Author: raildog

I've never been to Keene, but looking at Google maps and some historical maps, it appears the old B&M roundhouse and depot at Gilbo & School have been converted into a mini-mall.

Date: 07/03/13 03:22
Author: pal77

Keene little known useless facts widest main street in USA and great hiking foot wear but no trains

Date: 07/03/13 13:32
Author: DavidP

pal77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keene little known useless facts widest main
> street in USA and great hiking foot wear but no
> trains

...plus home to Keene State University, ranked among the top five in the New Hampshire public higher education system :-)

Keene was also the original destination for steam excursions from Nelson Blount's Steamtown Museum in the early sixties, using the Cheshire line from Walpole, NH.

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0358 seconds