Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Southern 4610/NS SD9m's - Help Needed

Date: 11/21/01 19:59
Southern 4610/NS SD9m's - Help Needed
Author: mjryan13

First, I need help with some information on NS/Southern 4610.

1) What is the unit's reporting mark? NS or SOU?

2) What general area, or what region does the unit generally remain in?

3)Is the 4610 usually in road or local service?

Second I have two questions about NS's SD9m locomotives.

1) Where are these units assigned to?

2) Is it generally simple to find these units and shoot them?

Thanks alot in advance,

Matt
The Roselle Park, NJ Railfan
MP16.0 SAA Lehigh Line
mjryan13@aol.com

Date: 11/21/01 21:20
RE: Southern 4610/NS SD9m's - Help Needed
Author: toledopatch

The 4610 has "SOU" lettering under the cab window. How it appears in the NS computer, I have no idea.

My impression is that the SD9M's have regular assigned bases from which they rarely stray. There are usually a couple of them assigned to the yard and dock transfer operation in Sandusky, OH. Others will have to tell you where they see these units on a regular basis.

Date: 11/22/01 07:28
Author: cr-engineer1

There are plenty of clunker high noses on NS trains. If you are going to shoot them, use a high caliber rifle. Maybe a couple of shots. These things have more lives than a cat. The idea is appreciated.

On our computers, we enter them as NS. You may also be able to use their old RR id's. We could do that after the dismantling of Conrail. I'm not sure if this is still possible.

Date: 11/22/01 08:18
Author: eashock

On 4610...

HMH often gives some information on its whereabouts. Look for threads with a subject along the lines of "NS 5500's" It makes its rounds, it seems, as it can be anywhere between Ft. Wayne, IN, and Linwood (New Spencer) Yard, NC. Recently, I think it's been in and around GA.

Incidentally, railroaders I've talked to say that operationally, the 4610 is a piece of crap.

-Eric Shock

Date: 11/22/01 13:02
Author: halfmoonharold

The 4610 has NS reporting marks. Lately, it's been around Valdosta/Macon/Atlanta,GA. The SD9m's are usually assigned to Bellevue/Sandusky,OH, St Louis, and Atlanta. Being yard engines, they are not necessarily easy to photograph. The Sandusky units would be easy to see from public streets, can't say about the others. I'll try to get an update on their whereabouts posted later.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0339 seconds